• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Snowshoes

D

Danny

Are the left and right for snowshoes or are they all the same? If there is how do you tell if one is left or right?

Generally, the right and left bindings are different, but the snowshoes are the same

Ok so the actual snowshoes are the same but how do I know if I have a right or a left?

Hey did you guys hear about the new snowshoes we‘re supposed to get? The real small ones that people use for recreation nowadays

something like this:
http://www.tubbssnowshoes.com/traditional.php

Originally posted by Pte. Scarlino:
[qb] Hey did you guys hear about the new snowshoes we‘re supposed to get? [/qb]
Anything to fix the bindings, which are horrid on the current shoes.
:crybaby:

Danny,

As mentioned above generally the snowshoes are the same, unless you are using some of the more technically advanced ones (expensive). The difference is going to be in the bindings which you can attach to the shoes. If they are a binding with belts and buckles usually the buckles will be on the outside of the foot to aid in release and tensioning. Same deal with a ratchet style binding.

Any of the military snowshoes I‘ve used (if memory serves me correctly) had belts and buckles with a toe pocket and a heel strap that was a pain in the butt trying to get through the muckluck loop on the heel.

If using a belt and bucle style binding be sure to tuck in or tie off the tails of all the belts so they don‘t catch on anything.

Hope this has helped.

Howdy.

The current issue snowshoes are universal fit, no left or right, one size fits all. Same with the bindings. You may find that one tracks a little right or left and choose to keep it on one foot- that‘s different with each shoe/binding combo. They are made of metal (magnesium iirc) so do not use them for a BBQ grill. The bindings are made of webbing with metal latches. The "loop" on the back of the mukluk heel may well have been made for the bindings: don‘t use it, it works better if you lace the bindings behind the ankle, cross over, and buckle up in front. The crosspiece on the bindings should lodge under the arch of the boot.

Once the bindings are adjusted on the foot, tie a small string from the webbing that goes across the front of your toes (not the top) to the front of the gap in the snowshoe that allows your toes to flex forward...this will stop the snowshoe from moving too far down/forward when you lift your foot up.

I always coloured the front and rear tips black with a magic marker- helps when the tips get close to the face, tough to see when white.

Once in your snowshoes, go for a walk in the parking lot to get a feel for the shoes. Learn to turn around 180*, and get up when you fall. Wear a pack. Graduate to light snow trails, then hit the powder. To get really good, try getting the troop/section together and playing snowshoe soccer- a riot, and gets you good on the shoes.

Enjoy!

A Very Good post Garry! :salute:

First rule is attaching your binding‘s properly!!
If not forget it! :skull:

The next trick is when you have to tow a toboggan. ;)

The worst is breaking trail :crybaby:

Oh yeah dont walk on your heels, :) and another rule make sure your mulk luks are on the right foot. :) Found out they do have a left and right..lol

Oookkaayy.. so first someone says there‘s no right and left, then someone goes and says there is.... God, it‘s no wonder that poor lad is confused.

Originally posted by Lexi:
[qb] Oookkaayy.. so first someone says there‘s no right and left, then someone goes and says there is.... God, it‘s no wonder that poor lad is confused. [/qb]
LoL I am confused I thought (it was mentioned above also) that you the buckles should be facing away from each other, each on the outside of your boot?

Another question: Should your toe rest on the cross bar or should it be centered in the hole of the snowshoes?

the cross bar should be under the ball of your foot. The hole in the shoes is for your toes to go in, allows you to "roll" forward when you walk.

You would no longer be confused if you went out and found out for yourself what works and what doesn‘t.

Free advice: all advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. Listen, then get off yer butt and find out for yourself!

Cheers-Garry

Originally posted by Garry:
[qb]

Free advice: all advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. Listen, then get off yer butt and find out for yourself!

Cheers-Garry [/qb]
I take offense to that!! i‘m not lazy! i was just asking...christ.

Originally posted by Garry:
[qb] the cross bar should be under the ball of your foot. The hole in the shoes is for your toes to go in, allows you to "roll" forward when you walk.

Cheers-Garry [/qb]
Ok I might be just having a brain fart or something but to me theses two sentences go against each other. So your saying your toes should rest on the top cross bar and the rest of the foot be in the hole? Sorry for all the questions I just want to get it right.

Danny,

I think Gary means just the "ball of your foot" the big bony area at the start of your big toe. This allows for a horizontal pivot point so your foot can move more freely and not cause the tip of the shoe to dig into the snow. If your toe is blocked by the shoe and not allowed to move you will not be able to walk with any effectiveness, let alone try and run. The back part of the foot rests on the shoes webbing and your binding.

I agree with Garry that if you have the equipment, you have some snow, go out and experiment. The forum is a great place for information but the best thing to do is get out and try it. I haven‘t used a military shoe for many years but I snowshoe a lot recreationally and with SAR. The best way to learn is to try it. You‘re not going to hurt anything if you wipe out, just your pride. It will take some practice especially with a military style shoe. But you know what they say about practice.

Good luck!

Thanks Herc I am experimenting with it but i just want to make sure I have the right kit to experiment with! I find having your big toe just below the bar, just skimming it works best.

Pfft.. how am I supposed to know all this? Read the title, I‘m just the idiot civillian here for the learning experience! :p :D

yeah.. I have my snowshoes out right now, and the bindings on both of them face the same way, unlike civvy models (which I just ordered from www.mec.ca for $162) which have opposite and ergonomic type bindings. I am going to toy with mine before I head off on my CLC/PLQ/5B/JLC so that I may have the least amount of discomfort during my stay in sunny Valcatraz!

cheers
Bzzliteyr

Back