• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sleep Issues on course [MERGED]

To play devils advocate, also consider that just before BMQ will be the last time for some time that you can 'get up when you want to' kind of thing.

It's great you want to acclimatize yourself alittle, etc but really NOTHING you do will correctly simulate BMQ except BMQ.   

I say 'enjoy your free time while you have it'.  IMO you will be glad you did.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/life-vie/basic-voie/series-serie-eng.asp?sid=1

Above is a link to Basic Up. A reality tv show from a few years ago that was developed by the CF.

Also below is a link to Basic Up: Reloaded

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/life-vie/basic-voie/series-serie-eng.asp?sid=2

Yeah, because links to "Basic Up" have never been posted here before.    ;)

I know, I know. Some people don't use "search". So I thought I would be helpful.

I have two kids ages 4 and 3 soooo the concept of "get up when i want" was lost years ago bro.

SimonM said:
I have two kids ages 4 and 3 soooo the concept of "get up when i want" was lost years ago bro.

Oh, we call that a "self-inflicted wound".  ;D

On a serious note, if you have children that age, you are already acclimatized to BMQ/recruits.  For example, you are used to the following:

- ppl who don't seem to know how to dress themselves, tie up laces, make sure they don't lose their mittens, etc.

- ppl who get cranky when they are tired or didn't get enough sleep

- ppl who don't like their dinner no matter what it is. 

- ppl who want to play, they don't want to have to clean up their room.  :mad:

- ppl who try to blame someone else for the thing they lost/broke/didn't do what they should have/etc.

- ppl who 'run to Mommy' when someone makes them cry or feel like a 'fraidy cat.

The list goes on and on...

You have a 4 and 3 year old....you already know what the younger recruits will act like.  >:D

ARMY_101 said:
Get up at 5:00am, do an hour of PT, and go to bed at 11:00pm.

I'd second this advice.

You might also consider waking up at 5 and giving yourself 15 minutes to shave then start your run at 5:15am.  After a couple of days give yourself 10 minutes to shave and finally 3-5 minutes to shave.

If you can wake up shave and be ready to run within 5 minutes you'll be at a big advantage.

ObedientiaZelum said:
If you can wake up shave and be ready to run within 5 minutes you'll be at a big advantage.

And if you can dry shave while running you're golden come DP1 >:D

Being almost 25yo i feel i have an advantage over most of the other people on the course with me. I move out from momma's house 7 years ago so i should do just fine when it comes to personal/common chores. Plus ive ridin the PT train pretty hard for the past months. I wont be overly cocky to say this is going to be a breeze, but ... you know.

yup.

And BMQ is gonna still be a challenge in one way or the other.  I did my "Basic" when you were 1 years old. 

Its hard to simulate being tired, being sore, being cold/wet/hot/dehydrated/"insert other situation here", having to climb 14 flights of stairs because you forgot your pen, doing drill and then PT and running or marching to everything "and and and and and"....

Just sayin'.  ;D

Careful on getting up early.  Some BMQ staff wait and expect that.  If you are caught being up early, everyone gets up early for some extra PT time (especially for DP1).  If you are one of the lucky ones that can't seem to grow facial hair, shave the night before.  I would actually advise not shaving before PT.  Your face will burn, and itch, and get red bumps.  Organize your time well the night before, and it will help the next morning.

Eye In The Sky said:
Oh, we call that a "self-inflicted wound".  ;D

On a serious note, if you have children that age, you are already acclimatized to BMQ/recruits.  For example, you are used to the following:

- ppl who don't seem to know how to dress themselves, tie up laces, make sure they don't lose their mittens, etc.

- ppl who get cranky when they are tired or didn't get enough sleep

- ppl who don't like their dinner no matter what it is. 

- ppl who want to play, they don't want to have to clean up their room.  :mad:

- ppl who try to blame someone else for the thing they lost/broke/didn't do what they should have/etc.

- ppl who 'run to Mommy' when someone makes them cry or feel like a 'fraidy cat.

The list goes on and on...

You have a 4 and 3 year old....you already know what the younger recruits will act like.  >:D

Hahaha.  That made me laugh, thank you.

I dont fool myself in thinking this will be easy, but im glad i have somewhat of a head start.

What? They clothe you, feed you, pay you. You want sleep too? ;D

Best of Luck, Enjoy the experience, and Welcome.

Hi,
first of all i'm actually in the reserve as an Infantry Officer. I'm not actually all qualified, still missing the
IODP 1.1 (Phase 3). I've heard a lot about his course that it's 6week and then 10 days in the field followed by 4 off days 4times in a row. I'm just concerned about the sleep deprivation, I've already done 6days in a row and dont add a lot of problem. But 10 days could it be bad? If there is infantry officer here, do you have an advice for me to last 10 days?

There is no good advice - I saw all kinds of methods to "handle" sleep deprivation while on Phase three and not entirely sure how effective they were (save that everyone was exhausted and zombie-like by the end).  It will be "bad", but the question both you and the course is trying to answer is "will it be debilitating?".  Only one way to find out.  IT has a failure rate of around 50% for a reason - and this is from individuals who have been mentally preparing for it since they joined, etc.

As of the end of last year, the course was a large block of classroom training followed by three blocks of 10 days on, 4 days off.  Only speaking from personal experience, my first day off was pretty much a write off (ate an ungodly amount of food, slept 14-16 hours, etc). Second day was spent cleaning all the kit from the 10 day period, third day was a study/relax day, and the last day was prepping for the next 10.

I usually found that those who tried to rely on caffeine (pills, drinks, etc) usually crashed and hit bottom harder then those who used nothing.  Being fit makes a large difference - you are already working with a large negative on your back (the lack of sleep), being unfit just compounds the problem.

Back