• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sleep Issues on course [MERGED]

On deployment - you can try reading, talking with others, chatting on the net or writing a journal - each of these activities can help put things in perspective before going to sleep.  If you have issues with accomplishing things during your day that keep you up at night then try making a list of issues or doing simple puzzles - Sudoku, crosswords, find-a-words.  Anything to provide distraction and settle the mind for even a few minutes can begin the wind-down process necessary to begin to fall asleep. 

If you begin to get restless don't fight it, get up and try another restful activity (re-start the wind-down.)  If you want to fight it, then try doing simple math patterns with eyes closed in a relaxing position - count backward from 200 or 100 by 3, 7 or doing multiplication of simple odd numbers (3,7,13).  Chuckle if you like but these activities have helped me for years in many stressful situations - courses, deployment, globe-trotting, while in hospital, university, and of course while lying beside a snoring wife.

thanks simian...I do the math thing sometimes without even consciously trying to - the mind just starts going through the motions, and yeah, it's exhausting! The old adage about counting sheep has been around for a while - must be for a reason.

An important thing to remember is to take a little "me" time periodically.  Even if it's just for a few minutes, you should try to sit down, clear your thoughts and think about things that make you happy, read a book or just veg (NB:  when you're on task as the leader on BMQ, it's not a good time to do this).  If you constantly try to stay switched on, you will crumble and then you're not doing anyone any good.  If you're in the Megaplex, GET OUTSIDE EVERYDAY, even if it's just for a walk.

Just curious, but several people already (the chronic insomniacs) have mentioned getting up and doing stuff when they can't sleep. Do none of you find that doing that makes it worse?
I can't ever remember a time when I've slept properly, but I find (especially during really bad stretches) that my body much prefers the rest that I can get from simply laying in bed. If I get up to do anything, I just look like a zombie...running into walls, forgetting to open doors before trying to go through them, etc.
Does staying up help y'all fall asleep or have you just gotten bored of laying there and not doing anything?

Have any of you guys with sleep problems tried supplementing with GABA, ZMA or melatonin?

Kratos said:
Have any of you guys with sleep problems tried supplementing with GABA, ZMA or melatonin?
All of which are more than likely not allowed on BMQ.

Jules - I saw a doctor about this issue and she told me to not stay in bed for more than 15 minutes if I didn't fall asleep right away - get up, walk around for a minute, read a book, listent o some tunes, brush your teeth - whatever. Bed, she said, is for the 2 "s"'s sleep and the other one;) vegging in bed for hours CAn make it harder to sleep if you start to associate bed with anything other than its intended uses.

As to melatonin and other aides, I've been told that melotonin works much better on older people than younger people - it's a natural chemical in the body, but older people feel the effects of it much easier than younger. I've tried it and it doesn't help.

As an aside, I saw a urologist recently, because while struggling to get to sleep I'd have to visit the bathroom WAY too many times before finally falling asleep - he told me to cut off the coffee, completely, and to practice some de-stressing exercises (mental and physical) before heading to bed...both stress and caffeine produce mass amounts of adrenaline in the body, which in turn produces mass amounts of urine...would not want to be the one always calling "guys wait up - I just have to pee! - so I took his advice to heart, and even though I miss my morning coffee sooooo much, I"ve been sleeping much better for the past couple weeks.

I'm convinced I have the worst sleep issues in the world, as I posted in what's now the sleep superthread. Other than Monday nights though, I never had many problems with it on basic.

I'm also doing a no-carb thing right now which I'm starting to believe might allow me to sleep. You could try eating all your carbs before 12-1 pm, and that might help, but I'm no doctor or nutritionist... Everything I'm reading online now says that eating carbs before bed might calm you down. I can't make any sense of that. Carbs are from sugar and give you energy... Oh well, I'll stop rambling now. EDIT: Apparently only complex carbs are good before bed... I still don't buy it haha.

I've used melatonin lately... I find it works well for keeping me asleep instead of waking up repeatedly, and allowing me to sleep for more than 4-6 hours at at time, but it never helped me "get to sleep" like I was hoping it would. I only use it now for certain screwed up situations that I get myself into with sleep (ie needing to stay asleep for 10-12 hrs).

Hey guys,

Im starting BMQ in about two weeks and i was wondering what kind of sleeping habits i should take before getting there to get myself used to it. What time should i got to bed, get up and also what time to do my PT. Any additional advice is appreciated.

J'ai vue que Oui. Comme j'ai posté dans un autre Forum dans la section française voici mes advices:

''Je ne veux pas rire mais maudit que c la que j'suis happy d'être bi-polaire et que si je me médicamente pas (la partie pour dormir) BAH JE DORS PAS !

Le truc, quand je travaillais dans des hôpitaux sur des grosses gardes... si tu sais qu'il te reste 5 heures a dormir... en dormir 2 ou 3 est mieux que 5... ça va selon les cycles de sommeils.... REM, 1 2 3 4... dort un peu comme les médecins  Je faisais aussi des power nap sur des civières de 30 a 45 minutes... ce qui me permettait de fonctionner le restant de la journée.

Je suis beaucoup plus fonctionnel avec 2 heures de sommeil dans le corps que 5. Évidement, probablement pas tout le monde qui est comme moi.

Je vais tenter de te trouver des liens car malheureusement mon article figure dans une magasine papier que j'ai à la maison alors difficile pour moi de te le poster et de trouver il est où. Je te reviens la dessus.

---------------------------------------->
http://www.fmoq.org/Lists/FMOQDocumentLibrary/fr/Le%20M%C3%A9decin%20du%20Qu%C3%A9bec/Archives/2000%20-%202009/031-035DreRoman0909.pdf

Voici un des articles que je possède en papier qui pourras peut-être te donner des petits trucs vue que la médecine d'urgence exige précision, détail et sommeil fragmenté.''

:)
Caro

Dans un autre article aussi que j'ai, avant ton QMB.. essaie de dormir le plus possible pis si t pris... disont 3 jours a dormir 4 heures.. essaie de dormir une bonne nuit après les 3 jours de suite.. je sais que c pas trop trop fesable mais comme j'ai lue sur l'autre forum il est important d'organisé son horaire.

SLEEP!
You don't need no stinking sleep!!
Sleep is for the weak
You can rest when you retire

All joking aside you will get enough sleep most days, although it is also a great test of your prioritization skills.

I already get up early but i'll take that down to 5am just to get my system used to it. There was guy that got swornn in with me thatsaid he gets up at noon. I was like "bro ....... Prepare for a paradim shattering reality check" loll

Back