• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

skydiving

Sparkplugs

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, since being in Borden, I have taken up the civilian sport of skydiving.  Amazing, I tells ya.

Anyone else into this?  Have you had success finding places to jump where you end up getting posted?  Has anyone ever been able to go from the civilian licensing to being able to take the military jump course?

I was thinking way down the road, (because I've got like, 19 solo jumps, I'm just a baby) I'd like to become (or try to become) a Skyhawk.  Anyone know any of them, or any yay or nay opinions about it?

I'm currently 4 months away from being done my AVN training in Borden.  Hoping to get posted to Petawawa, Valcartier, or Gagetown.

Cheers!  ;D

Civ licensing has no bearing on selection or loading for Basic Para.

You'll find that nice bareassed jumps are hard to come by on the mil version!!  ;)

Should I be worried that a future aircraft maintainer is keen to work on parachuting skills?   :eek:

dapaterson said:
Should I be worried that a future aircraft maintainer is keen to work on parachuting skills?   :eek:

Only if you drove planes  ;) ... the boys that jump, are smart enough to know better already!!  >:D

It's not the planes, it's the pilots -- the more I know, the more I prefer jumping out  ;D

....and despite their claims of "flying," if you want to really fly, you have to get out of the plane    :)

Im still waiting for a reply back from the uppers, but I heard something about being able to get your MFF (military freefall) course written off with X amount of jumps and a CSPA COP of "A" or "B" although that will do nothing for Basic Para, since its on those damn round un-steerable canopies with lots of gear. Just give me a tandem rig, should work fine right?  >:D  Oh by the way hows jumping at STI going? I jumped with your brother this weekend @ MHP.

I don't know how much things have changed but I have a friend (now a SAR Tech) who was going with the Skyhawks.  He had a really high civilian parachute license (only about 19 people in Canada had it, IIRC) and he still had to go on his Para Course.  This would have been back in the late 80's or early 90's.
They knew he was going to the Skyhawks and gave him a hard time on course, all in good fun though.  >:D

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

STI's going good, punkd...  finishing up my solo this weekend, if all goes well!  Who are you anyway, lol...  I know a couple of military boys who jump with my bro...  I didn't know there was a military freefall course?  Neat!  I won't be able to get my A until spring at least, but I'm working on it.  Haha, I pretty much jump a tandem rig now...  300 square feet, 110lbs, woo hoo!  0.3 wing loading, lol.  Can't wait until I get off this enormous student gear.

dapaterson --  There are no perfectly good aircraft, hehe.  Especially if you saw the Cessnas that I jump out of!  It's more an adrenaline thing than being scared of the planes though, hehe.  Although I do dislike landing with the airplane now.

vern --  You got that right!  The more time I spend around aircraft, the more I like to get out of them!  Heh, kidding, but it is pretty fun!  I didn't think it would make any bearing on course loadings or anything like that, but it seems funny to me that sport parachuting (ie: Skyhawks) have to take a military jump course, which is all rounds and static lines, not sport canopies at all!  Weird, hehe.

Journeyman --  I'm with you!  We have some crazy cowboy pilots here!  The more times I hit the ground all nice and gentle under a canopy, and see them barrel down over the trees and thump onto the grass with those cute *note sarcasm* Cessnas, the more I like jumping out of them.  Why rely on a pilot when you can land yourself, hehehe?

PMedMoe --  Thanks for the info!  I know you have to take basic para, but it's pretty weird, because round parachutes have nothing to do with the sport canopies that the Hawks jump.  Bah well, military, right?  How did he like the Skyhawks?

Sparkplugs said:
PMedMoe --  Thanks for the info!  I know you have to take basic para, but it's pretty weird, because round parachutes have nothing to do with the sport canopies that the Hawks jump.  Bah well, military, right?  How did he like the Skyhawks?

He had a great time.  I haven't met anyone who didn't.

To apply to the Skyhawks you need your military freefall course, or a Class A civie..
If you get accepted to Skyhawks training, you will first be loaded on the basic para course.

Thanks Piper, that's what I figured, but good to hear it from someone else, heh.

Hey Sparkplug,

Congrats on almost being done your AVN course.  BTW, where do you skydive?  I'm in NorthBay (Navy/Airmich says hi), but I"m looking to give skydiving ago ..I've located two places Parachute School of Toronto and Toronto Skydiving, but I would appreciate some imput if you know of anywhere else. 

Cheers

punkd said:
Im still waiting for a reply back from the uppers, but I heard something about being able to get your MFF (military freefall) course written off with X amount of jumps and a CSPA COP of "A" or "B" although that will do nothing for Basic Para, since its on those damn round un-steerable canopies with lots of gear. Just give me a tandem rig, should work fine right?  >:D  Oh by the way hows jumping at STI going? I jumped with your brother this weekend @ MHP.

You may be able to get credit for your jumps but you will still have to do equipment and night jumps to qualify

We are looking for those skilled individuals who have a civilian Sky diving class a licence to become a SkyHawk - a member of the Canadian Forces Parachute team. For more info go search this site for SkyHawks message I posted yesterday or go to www.army.gc.ca click on the SkyHawk crest and go into the links to find how to become a SkyHawk.

Direct link http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/3_3_1_1_6.asp

Hey

That is true, you need your Basic para course to be on the SkyHawks. The good thing is once you are headed for the SkyHawks we get you course loaded ahead of everyone else in the country. Only two weeks of hard work then 5 jumps, then its 5 weeks in sunny Perris Valley CA the Meca of skydiving in the world.

Does anyone know where one can acquire a Class A Cert? I can't seem to find a school that does it? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places? I'm out in BC.

MedTech said:
Does anyone know where one can acquire a Class A Cert? I can't seem to find a school that does it?
I can't imagine a Canadian school that doesn't

Check CSPA -- they're Canada's FAI-approved certifying body

Sorry I guess I should've been more clear, just that out of the 3 that I've called, they either had no idea what I was talking about, or said to call someone else. Maybe I'm just not asking the right questions or something.

Back