• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Site problem? (or my browsers?)

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Okay, something weird is going on.  About an hour ago, the presentation of the site went all wonky in Firefox, with broken links and all sorts of formatting issues.

If I open the site in another browser (IE, Chrome), everything is okay - until I log in.  Then the formatting issues come back, and it looks exactly as it appears in Firefox.

I cleared all the browsing history (everything, including cookies/cache) in Chrome, and of course when I pull up the site, I'm not logged in but everything looks okay again.

Anyone else having issues?

I am using firefox version 3.0.8 and am having no problems, everything looks to be running fine.

Alright, I'm stumped.

Still same issues going on.  Same problem on three different computers in our household.  Logged out, everything displays fine.  Logged in, lots of formatting is out to lunch.  Something to do with a preference I've inadvertently changed??  I have to use keyboard short cuts (alt-p to preview, alt-s to submit) because my buttons are all screwed up.

I'll attach screen caps, with the wonky parts highlighted....

That is very odd, I've never seen anything like that before. What URL were you going to? I use Firefox almost exclusively and haven't seen this issue to date.

That's going directly to www.army.ca.

I was thinking browser hijacker, but nothing seems to be coming up - and it happening on three different PCs would be unlikely, at best.  What really has me stumped is that the pages display completely fine if I'm logged off, but appear like the screen captures if I'm logged on - regardless of browser used.  This is a good one...

Mike Bobbitt said:
That is very odd, I've never seen anything like that before. What URL were you going to? I use Firefox almost exclusively and haven't seen this issue to date.

Mike, is this problem similar to the problem I had on my computer?

I use Firefox extensively, and have not had any browser specific issues with the site yet. I have version 3.0.8, Occam what version of Firefox do you have? have you updated it recently, and/or are you using a beta version?

Also I have known that some of the macro addons for Firefox (such as greasemonkey) can cause issues with certain sites (more due to the macros that are installed and running for the site than the addon itself). With that being said, what addons, if any at all, do you have installed with your Firefox?

I had the exact problem the other day. It seems to have gone away.

Occam, if you right click on one of those "image not found" images (ironic, isn't it?) and select "copy image location" can you then paste it in here?

Mike Bobbitt said:
Occam, if you right click on one of those "image not found" images (ironic, isn't it?) and select "copy image location" can you then paste it in here?

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/Themes/Milnet.ca/images/german/new.gif

Mike, is there anything in my Army.ca "user profile" (display prefs, etc.) that could have gotten corrupted?  I only ask as the problem doesn't seem to be specific to any one of my three PCs.

JBoyd said:
I use Firefox extensively, and have not had any browser specific issues with the site yet. I have version 3.0.8, Occam what version of Firefox do you have? have you updated it recently, and/or are you using a beta version?

Also I have known that some of the macro addons for Firefox (such as greasemonkey) can cause issues with certain sites (more due to the macros that are installed and running for the site than the addon itself). With that being said, what addons, if any at all, do you have installed with your Firefox?

Firefox 3.0.8, no addons.  I don't think it's a Firefox problem, as the page corruption occurs no matter what browser I use (as long as I'm logged in, that is).

Using Internet Explorer 8 and click on Forums the bottom of the list, Radio Chatter, doesn't show up.
In Firefox 3.0.8  same problem.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Do things look better now?

Well, the broken link images are gone  :)

Is this a themes issue, related to the forum upgrade?  Put another way, can I stop chasing a virus/malware issue?  LOL

Now it's just a bunch of formatting stuff.  I did a couple of screen shots again, circling the corrupted data (I feel like I'm playing Where's Waldo...lol)

Main page
- text is missing from the "Welcome Occam, you have 8 messages and 0 are unread" or whatever that text reads
- text is missing from the "xxx guests, yyy members, zzz spiders" section

Thread pages
- not sure what "51531" is in header box
- "HOME HELP SEARCH CALENDAR LOGIN REGISTER" menu is invisible (but if you mouseover, the individual menu items are still there and clickable) - edit: sorry, that's what the OFFLINE menu says, can't remember what appears there when one is online.
- same with the "print" menu
- "Occam and 2 Guests are viewing this topic." display is missing text
- Post date is missing ("on: Yesterday at 23:21:46")
- Online/Offline text is missing
- "Posts" text is missing

Post page
- "Submit" "Preview" "Cancel" buttons have no text in them

Disregard - hit the "quote" button instead of the "edit post" button.  Looks like the text is missing off those as well...only the symbol is there.

Occam,

Yeah, stop chasing it on your end, it's a problem here. Your profile was set to "German" but we don't have a german template... so things got pretty wonky. I've reset your profile to English (just now)... hopefully that helps, but if you're still seeing odd stuff, let me know... bitte. ;)

Whew!!  All seems to be well now, thanks very much. 

The upside is that after being scanned with Symantec Corporate AV, Trend Micro Housecall AV, Kaspersky AV, Spybot S&D, AdAware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and Super Anti-Spyware, I'm fairly certain my computer isn't harbouring any critters now.

German, eh?  Did I do that somehow?

I don't know... I do know that the board seems to want to "default" you to German so maybe when you saved your profile after a change it applied "German" as the language.

That's doubly puzzling as I've never had anything on my profile to change, let alone save.  I did make one change to it yesterday after things started acting up - I changed a single checkbox "Leave words uncensored" just to see what would happen if I changed something (hopefully) innocuous.

I'll cross my fingers and hope all remains well - thanks again.

Back