• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sit-Ups

Soldier in Waiting

In preparing for the Step Test, did you do running only or did you practice going up and down steps as well?

This is what I‘m talking about. Never mind ‘practicing‘ for the god**** step test. Go out and get in shape - period. And get used to staying in shape if you want to be of any use to the Army. Well-balanced, strength AND endurance. Cardio and weights/pushups/situps. Once the little Express test is over, the real **** begins (at least it should).

Look, if they had a thumb-fight test on the Express test, you could practice every day with all your buddies and be the best freakin thumb-fighter in Canada. But you‘d still be an out of shape slug (not you, personally - you, meaning a general person).

I don‘t mean to be harsh - don‘t take this as discouragement. But I think a reality check is needed here.

I agree that exercising to get in shape is more important than exercising to pass the test. If you get in shape the test should be easy, but the test is a good mark to shoot for once you start out. You need to have a goal to reach when you start working out so in that respect practicing for the test can help. But like you said the recruit has to realize that the test is just the foot in the door, and everthing you do after that get‘s harder.

Just some thoughts...

To the civilian who is considering joining the Canadian Forces, one dominant thought that you wrestle with is "How will I measure up, Do I have what it takes?". You look to those members that wear the uniform with a sense of respect and maybe even a little awe, because you know they have "it".

If your like myself you punish yourself in training, motivated by the horror of failing and all that would entail.

So you post questions in a forum to people who have done "it", who have "it" who‘ve been there where you have to go in these tests,and beyond, looking for information to remove all the unknowns.

If you post here looking for information to comfort you because you do not train, You are going to reap the wrath of those who have the uniform. They will suggest, in so many words, that you get to work.

If you are busting your hump training, and you need a little encouragement that these tests are doable, that your effort is not in vain, it shouldn‘t be such a big deal to the members should it?

Unfortunately it‘s hard to tell who‘s who.

Just my two cents.

Veteran‘s Son

I did running, and I practiced the Tecumseh Step Test. Also, I rollerbladed, biked, did weight training and many other activities. I still do these as much as I can. It wont help you if you go up steps, you could do that all you want and it wouldn‘t make a difference if you‘re out of shape. You‘re heart has to be healthy and well conditioned to pass the test. Go run, bike, hike and do weights, you just have to be in good shape.

About the order in which the test is conducted, I can‘t tell you that because it would be giving out too much information. They tell you never to discuss what is on the Aptitude Test with anyone who wasn‘t in the room when you wrote it, so I‘m going to do the same about the PT test. You can look for someone else to tell you this, but I don‘t want to jeapordize my entry into the Forces.

The military, like any other trade, has certain requirements it demands of its members. If the CF Express-Test (The bare minimum) is too difficult for a person, maybe they are better off finding a career elsewhere.
I don‘t say this to try a scare anyone, however, the CF recruiting page says that basic training in St. Jean will be "physically strenuous", so completing the express-test is a watermark to see if you are able to carry on to the next level.
With that, maybe we should close this discussion and start a different thread on overall fitness for the soldier, a much more relevant topic.

The step test is retarded...how do you prepare for that ? Going up little steps , with a faster beat makes you bump your feet and ****.

When I took the step test I thought I had failed regardless of the fact that I did the pre fitness of 2.4km under the time.

The only thing there testing for on the step test is to see if when your out in the field doing a ruck march that your not gonna die on them. So I would recommend just doing some sport....as suggested above biking...ect

Murph

Thanks for your message! I am trying to get in shape for the fitness test.

However, I want to continue a fitness program after I pass the fitness test(hopefully) because I want to be in the best physical shape that I can be!

I can‘t believe how many responses came up on this post.

I say just do it, and if you don‘t pass for any reason, just do the **** thing again...with the advantage of knowing what to expect. it doesent prepare you in any way for basic anyway.

Just do it **** it. :rocket:

i was just wondering how many situps you do in a day during basic and how many u could do when u first get there and who many u could do at the end of it? for an infantry course would probably be differnt than a enginer course i am asuming?

All trades take the same BMQ course, cooks, armour, sappers, infanteers, all on the same course.

Anyways, you will do situps on your course, it'll be part of the PT.

I forgot how many sit ups I was able to do at the end of course, but I remember at the beguinning I did 56(around there) on our first PT test.

I don't recall so many situps as I recall pushups, pullups, the "Hall of Shame", and other fun little activities.

Hey there... You really don't have to worry at all about the sit ups or push ups in BMQ I just finished my BMQ and I am in my SQ right now and we didn't do very man sit up sor push ups there. Once you get to your SQ make sure that you can do lot's. But for BMQ don't worry about it at all.

we didn't do to many sit ups we id more leg lifts then sit ups. We ran more then anything our first PT was a 2hour run so many people fell out and ran behind

we didn't do too many situps. pushups and leg raises on the other hand....

Well on my BMQ, we would start each class with 50 push ups and 5 minutes in the 5th point of flight procedure. You could only do 25 push ups in a row, so the 5th point of flight procedure was there to break it up. Well how much and how hard PT is all dependant on how har dyour instructors are, I had alot of VERY fit instructors on my course, i hated the PT some days cus it was very hard, though i came out very fit, i could do almost 100 pushups in one go, 25 chin ups and like 100 situps. When i started, i could barley do 4 chinups and 25 push ups, and my sit ups were horrible, like 20. So as much as you may hate the idea of doing pushups/situps all the time, it helps alot.

right now i can do about 15-20 push -ups, I can't seem to get past this many no matter how often or hard I try (I do them every other night). Does or did anyone else have this problem?

Sometimes we need to be pushed to exceed.  No worries, they'll push you I'm sure  >:D

If you are having problems with trainning, I would try Creatine. It helps, and it's CF approved ;D

Back