• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sit-Ups

V

Veteran`s son

I know that for the Fitness Test for someone over 35, 17 situps have to be completed in one minute.

Do the situps have to be done continuously without stopping or can someone take a break between each situp?

Also, if you went a few seconds over the minute, would you fail the Fitness Test?

Has anyone went over the minute time limit and passed?

when I did the situps part of the test, it was non-stop, no breaks

the test is none stop....and considering I saw a guy who failed by one push up....I would assume they would care about the timing.

They‘re strict about the way you do the PT, and the timings/standards.

Keep working at it until you can get it. It won‘t take long.

If you can do 20 proper situps on your own (w/o
anchoring your feet), you‘ll be fine for the test.
After all, during the test they have someone
holding your feet. You‘ll be able to leverage your
hip flexors in getting up there faster with
someone holding your feet.

Methyl‘s right.. they are picky about how you do
PT. The CF getting ready guide will tell you
what the proper form is for situps and pushups.
You shoud follow it to the letter.

Oh BTW Methyl, we‘re shooting for a ~10k run
this Sunday morning, about 5-ish in the am.
Interested? I‘ll email you when I get more info.

With all these questions you have been asking. I‘m sure if you were doing some sit ups instead you would be able to pass the test by now.

Thats garbage. Situps are not non-stop.

You have one total minute. Period. You may stop, wait, hang around, etc, and restart. But after a minute, they stop counting.

PUSHUPS on the other hand, must be continuous, and at the first visible sign of major strain, they usually stop counting.

I did a CMC PT test a couple weeks ago, and it is based on EXPRESS tests (its conducted by PSP)

But I agree, ensure you can do the situps before you go. Dont try to get by... itll only make brt and SQ harder

Greets all. I looked at the sit ups section with interest as I fall into the same over age 35 catagory of recruits mentioned. I also am midway through BMQ. I would suggest that you ready yourself for all of the challenges put in your way. I ran for months to get ready, did situps (feet braced- huge mistake ) and push ups. Thanks to this I am just able to keep up with the other recruits. If you want to really shine get busy on the pre-training. I really wish I had pushed myself just a bit harder.

This aside BMQ has been a good experience, good staff, weapons training, NBC training, look forward to some range time, gas hut and the unit ex...its all as good as the effort you put into it. Its not about just reaching minimum requirements. :mg:

Cpt. Kap

Thank you for your recent reply! :)

How would you recommend that I do situps in preparation for the Fitness Test?

I believe that you said you did situps with your feet braced.

I am progressing with the situps as I can do 14 situps in a minute as of today. :D

As I suggsted don‘t just settle for the minimum to pass the test. I should have made push ups and sit ups more a part of my own routine rather than simply worrying about running. I would encourage you to do them unsupported (without holding your feet) if at all possible as this is a better ab work out and will save you more pain later on.

BMQ has been great but a real physical challenge as well for those of us over age 35

why not just join up at a gym and work out your whole body, thats what i have been doing for the last five months. It would seem to me it would provide better results faster.

Okay I need some help here.

I just did my secord fit test and again I failed the cardo part of damm test, I got 36 when a pass is 39...did awesome on everything else. I can do the run at the gym, but during the test my heart rate is always too high after the first set on the step test. I‘m 33 and 180lbs by the way. I‘m starting to feel like I‘ll never pass this thing. I‘ve been running since sept and I just don‘t know what I‘m doing wrong. I had a job where I wasn‘t active for a few years before, so I guess that hasn‘t helped. But I‘m in a rush to get in, as I‘m going reg and can‘t put my life on hold forever while I do this prep-training. I never knew three little steps were so hard...... I‘m only going this test once more as I‘m sure they keep a record of this and will never expect me if I have to take test more than that.......

Radiohead

It seems by your description that cardiovascular capacity is a problem. I‘m not usre how you train but I posted this in a thread in Offtopic: workouts:

"Get into a progressive running program. The CFRC has a good pamphlet called CF EXPRES Jogging. Using the treadmill, build endurance on one day by running moderately, another day running slowly to build endurance, and then another quickly (wind sprints) for cardio and muscular development. You must develop strength, endurance, and cardiovascular capacity to excel."

There may be a host of issues that may affect your cardiovascular capacity, but your heart is pumping to get oxygen around as well as other stuff during training. Make sure you have a diet with decent carbohydrates and proteins. What helps alot of people is breaking up their running routine.

In the CF pre-fitness plan, to run 2.4 kms in 12 mins isn‘t just enough. They recommend being able to run 6 kms consistently.

To get there and improve the cardio, the best way is to mix up the running. One day run moderately, another slowly for distance, the next training day run like kell, slow down for a minute, catch your breath, and run like kell again, slow down catch your breath, and so on for several sets. The fast running gets you close to the maximum heart rate, trains the body to use oxygen better than consistently running slowly, and trains the aerobic and anerobic (sp?) nature of cardio.

By training with fast running sets, sometimes called wind sprints or sprinting sets, mixed with your usual running sessions you can bring your active heart rate down. Another way to do this is to reduce the time it takes to run a mile. If you can run a mile in 10 minutes, try training to do it in 8 mins. I you can do it in 8 mins, try for 6. Over time, your active heart rate should reduce as the body adjusts to the training.

In summary, adding a day in week for sprinting
or training for speed helps.

Its best to go ask an authority on running or look for training tips on the ‘net about training heart rate and cadiovascular capacity (VO2).

Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I was also wondering if there a way to train for the step test as well. I know I should be training for long haul and I‘m working on that but finding a way to pass that test would be a big help. It takes a while for a CF to call you after you finished all the paper work, and I don‘t want to be waiting for that call in 2004. Being 33 I just wait that long.... I actually moved back to parents place so I could cut back on hours at work to train and still pay all bills.... and just stay here that long.

Have other people had this problem? I had always heard that the test was easy, and I can tell you it isn‘t. :(

How many minutes is the Step Test and how many times do you go up and down the steps?

I wonder if there is a limit to the number of times someone could take the CF Fitness Test?

logistik was your post directed at me? If it was it was uncalled for as I do not spam this broad or any broad, and only asked because I wanted CF member‘s help on this. And Yes I do PT thank you every much as I stated in post I‘m looking for help to improve it. When I posted this lastnight I was worried I would get some dum***s saying something like that. If its not directed at me then I sorry but I‘m here for help so I get to my goal of joining the CF comments like that only piss me off.

Thanks Dave

Logistik, answering questions is exactly what this forum is about. If you don‘t agree with the questions, just don‘t reply.

Everyone gets equal air time here.

Back