• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

A summary of pay and deductions at BMQ was included with my enrollment package.

Rate of Pay: $2806.00

Deductions:

SDB - $6.65
EI - $40.44
CF Pension & CPP - $294.16
SISIP-LTD - $4.71
Income Tax (Fed & Prov.) - $392.67
PPIP - $15.38
Salex Tax - $0.6
Quarters ( Married/CL do not pay) - $96.00
Rations - $543.41

Net Pay:

Single - $1411.98
Married/CL - $1507.98

Hope this helps

MP_HOPEFUL said:
Does anyone know if you can claim rations and quarters when you do your taxes?

Also, you can see Reply #86. ( 88 and 90 )

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/69716/post-1223730.html#msg1223730

mariomike said:
Also, you can see Reply #86. ( 88 and 90 )

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/69716/post-1223730.html#msg1223730

Pretty clear answer lol, thanks!

Just a question, probably for a clerk.

Joined military in 2007, became reg force 2010, I had a residence at time of joining reg force and my father was listed as a dependant on all my papers such as MPRR from reserves,  and I provided military with paperwork. Joined reg force as single, go to begin QL3 in june 2010, get rid of my residence as brookfield moved my F and E which was wrong as I was a restricted posting not prohibited, and my father could not move with me as he was on a medical trial and moved him in with my sister when training on QL3. Paid r and q, I am not arguing this.

Sept 2010 get married while doing QL3 take father off my paperwork as dependant, then get pregnant, cease trained and husband then posted follow him on attach posting to finish pregnancy and continue on MATA, DCBA approves to move my F and E at publics expense to marital home, also a home I secured for my now young dependant because it had been erroneously stored from the beginning.

2012 go back on course to finish Ql3 leave dependant in the home I secured and where my F and E is, and husband who will be the primary care giver while attending mandatory training, and I am required to pay R and Q. This is where to me I am confused, as it is being explained to me I am not entitled because of married after COS date and no new posting so am considered "single" still until a new posting. This is what i am confused about, and heres my explanation as to why:

I am considered "single" on my message, but have a dependant, so technically if you take the whole marriage out I am a "single" parent and still have to find alternative care while attending training, and under DAOD 5003-5 it states that after a pregnant woman gives birth they have 17 weeks to vacate quarters or until the end of MATA which ever comes first, to secure a crown controlled or private residence, I chose a private residence for reasons such as my attach posting as well as where my F and E has been moved. SO I go to finish my Ql3 am paying all my household bills, child care, mortgage etc, and on top of that paying 785 a month for r and q, and this was before the new rules were implemented for R and Q and sep pay etc.

So after all my rambling and a very very short version of my complication situation, I just want an opinion from a clerk or some one who may have any knowledge on what I can expect to happen or any policies I am unaware of , as I am trying to get recuperation of the r and q I paid for 4 months.

Thank you.

PM inbound...

Mods, feel free to move this over to Military Administration.

I have a question regarding living/housing. I realize that there is housing offered on bases across the country, as well as what I believe are termed "The Shacks", I might be wrong there. If I were to join, for the purpose of saving money I would just choose to live on base, I just need a bed and somewhere to sleep and I'm good. My question is how much does it cost to live in the dorm style housing and what are the options. Do you get your own room, is it shared, etc. I also would plan on joining as an officer (trade to be determined). If anyone could provide me with some info I would appreciate it.

In my experience, any money "saved" (which isn't all that much because R&Q is not as cheap as you might think) is quickly spent on entertainment (bars, movies, etc.).  To me, the ability to sit in front of the TV, watching whatever I wanted, in my underwear with a bowl of Cheerios far outweighed any potential, yet negligible savings to be had by living in single quarters.

I did both for a while.  If you're young and single, then the shacks aren't as a bad idea at least in training and the first bit of a posting.  This will obviously depend on how busy/deployed your trade ends up being; when I was a MARS officer, living in the Wardroom for the first year or so was pretty good since I was hardly ever there.

But as a long-term thing?  I'd advise against it.

You may not have that choice, depending on the base. If you're posted to Kingston, and you're DP1 (trade qualified) you will not be allowed to get a room in the shacks. You MAY get a PMQ but as a single member your priority would be very low on the waiting list.

Thanks again for the info. Just wondering then, I have a friend posted in Petawawa who lives off base but relatively close in town. He told me that a lot of the guys live further away in chalk river/deep river which I think is about 30 or 40 minutes away. I prefer living in the country so my question would be, how far away from base would be too far to live? 1hour from base? would that be too far?

I think the shacks are great for the young single people.

1. Some bases do walk through inspections.  Just to make sure there is no rotting food and pizza boxes. Sorry but some people need this still, shouldn't but do.
2. You don't have to worry about cooking (the mess)
3. Laundry and showers are there
4. Your bed, dresser and desk are provided.  You might have to get your own sheets and blankets.
5. Your close to work
6. There are other people that might be going through the same things you are.  Away from home and/or family.

Thinkingofenlisting said:
Thanks again for the info. Just wondering then, I have a friend posted in Petawawa who lives off base but relatively close in town. He told me that a lot of the guys live further away in chalk river/deep river which I think is about 30 or 40 minutes away. I prefer living in the country so my question would be, how far away from base would be too far to live? 1hour from base? would that be too far?

Every base has a geographical area, in which you are allowed to live. To live outside of that area, you must request permission from your unit.

PuckChaser said:
You may not have that choice, depending on the base. If you're posted to Kingston, and you're DP1 (trade qualified) you will not be allowed to get a room in the shacks. You MAY get a PMQ but as a single member your priority would be very low on the waiting list.

Did the finally boot people out of B77? I remember hearing that the base commander wasn't pleased that there were MCpls living in SQ's.

I liked living in shacks as a single rat, if when I drank away all my money, I still had food to eat.  Times and salaries were different of course,  your mileage may vary.

Just wondering then, I have a friend posted in Petawawa who lives off base but relatively close in town. He told me that a lot of the guys live further away in chalk river/deep river which I think is about 30 or 40 minutes away. I prefer living in the country so my question would be, how far away from base would be too far to live? 1hour from base? would that be too far?

There's discussion about living at CFB Petawawa, and places ( Chalk River, Deep River and others ) to live near in the area.

Petawawa Thread- Merged
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/40540.0

Recently Posted to Petawawa
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/110348.0

I have a question regarding living/housing. I realize that there is housing offered on bases across the country, as well as what I believe are termed "The Shacks", I might be wrong there. If I were to join, for the purpose of saving money I would just choose to live on base, I just need a bed and somewhere to sleep and I'm good. My question is how much does it cost to live in the dorm style housing and what are the options. Do you get your own room, is it shared, etc. I also would plan on joining as an officer (trade to be determined). If anyone could provide me with some info I would appreciate it.

Bear in mind that the state of single quarters varies widely by posting location.  At some postings there are simply no single quarters at all (Ottawa, for example), in some places there is a shortage, so they are not generally available to trained single personnel (Gagetown is one) and at some bases living in the shacks is a popular lifestyle choice (Petawawa has all ranks from Privates to Majors living in single quarters).

Back