• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

Ok got it, so don't wait for my COS, just talk to the broker ASAP? Or when I get to the unit I should inform my chain? And maybe they can help me out?

Personally, I would talk to the broker.  At the end of the day, they will be the one who is issuing the transfer instruction and everything is dependant upon what they put down for the move of your HG&E...

Ok, will do, I just emailed him. So, hopefully I hear something back tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. I'll wait to see what he says, and if not, once I get to the unit at Borden, I'll try to address it there, at worst I'll have to pay :-(

Papaselo said:
My question is I'm being transferred to the Regs on Pretzi and awaiting course....  and if I'm not technically posted to Borden therefore I can't sell my house.

*PRETC

I assume you are still going MP?  Therefore you would be posted to the MP school/CFB Borden,  from there would be attached to PRETC until your QL3 starts.

Unless things have changed since I was in the training system,  the above should be correct.

Papaselo said:
Quick question, I hope some clerk can answer this or someone in the same situation as me. I just received my CT offer to the regular force, I start in Feb. My question is I'm being transferred to the Regs on Pretzi and awaiting course. Now, I have a house in Toronto co ownership with my father and I, and if I'm not technically posted to Borden therefore I can't sell my house. Is there a possibility that I may get some support with Rations and Quarters as I'm already paying a mortgage in Toronto? Also I can't move my mom or dad because I don't know where I'm going to get posted after course, so no sense in me selling my house and frankly my dad won't want to either if he doesn't know for sure what's going on with my career. Just wanted to know if the CF would either give me IR, TD or R&Q or simply nothing as it's not their concern. Thank you in advance.

What does your ETP say?  Are you prohibited posted to Borden or have you been posted to your (eventual) gaining det and placed on TD there?

Didn't get in for MP as there are no positions at the moment, so, I took my second choice. Yes, I hear that there is no more pretzi, so, I'll be at sifsal or however you spell it or call it. The offer stated that I'll I'm in BTL(Basic training list) and my unit and location posted to CFLTC-Borden. So, whatever you guys/ gals can make of that. Also URS is also Borden, no idea what these things mean just yet. I just asked my broker and he said that since your going on BTL, they shouldn't charge you R&Q until your done your trades course. So, let's hope he is correct. 

If anyone has anything else to add feel free too, as I'm willing to take any advice or suggestions. Thanks once again in advance.  

You need to work on your slang!!  :nod:

CFSAL (CF School of Admin and Logistics) is now known as the CF Logistics Training Center.

URS = Unit Records Support, IIRC is a common term for Support Base/Home Unit (Borden, in your case).

Anyone entering the CF via CT/OT and is unskilled goes on the BTL establishment until they are MOC quald.  Same thing happens for RegF types who OT.  It just means you are not in an actual position that is counted against your trades Trained Effective Strength, lets say.  So effectively you are what is called a PAT (Personnel Awaiting Training).

Being on BTL in itself doesn't relate to the entitlement to R & Q on Joe and Jane Taxpayer.  Your School Orderly Room should be able to sort that out once you are there.

Lol, hahaha. Indeed I do need to work on my slang. See the problem with that is, a lot of my civi friends don't understand it, so I keep it to a minimum :-D  :nod: ;D ;D

So, let's see what happens once I get to Borden on Cfsal. Either they'll say no, or who knows I might get lucky. 

Papaselo said:
Lol, hahaha. Indeed I do need to work on my slang. See the problem with that is, a lot of my civi friends don't understand it, so I keep it to a minimum :-D  :nod: ;D ;D

So, let's see what happens once I get to Borden on Cfsal CFLTC. Either they'll say no, or who knows I might get lucky.

:blotto:

Papaselo said:
I just asked my broker and he said that since your going on BTL, they shouldn't charge you R&Q until your done your trades course. So, let's hope he is correct.

If anyone has anything else to add feel free too, as I'm willing to take any advice or suggestions. Thanks once again in advance. 

Euhhhh... BTL in and of itself doesn't preclude you from paying R&Q, especially not as a single member.

Shamrock said:
Euhhhh... BTL in and of itself doesn't preclude you from paying R&Q, especially not as a single member.

So true, but in this case, the move of HG&E will no doubt be prohibited.  As such and being a "home owner", there is also no entitlement for reimbursement of Real Estate and Legal Fees, so the best case scenario is that you should receive free quarters, as you are already maintaining a residence elsewhere.

Now let's see if the clerks in Borden can figure this one out!

Lol, I'm sure they will figure it out, but, if there anything like the reserve clerks I know, I will be retired by the time they push that paper work up! Hahaha. PS, I'm not saying all the reserve clerks are like that, only the ones I deal with ;)

Papaselo said:
Lol, I'm sure they will figure it out, but, if there anything like the reserve clerks I know, I will be retired by the time they push that paper work up! Hahaha. PS, I'm not saying all the reserve clerks are like that, only the ones I deal with ;)

Now don't tar and feather all clerks like that some may fit that category and others might not....

MILNET.CA MENTOR

My apologies, once again, it was meant as a joke, as well as I said not all clerks are like that in my last post, only the ones I deal with ;)

Hello, thank you for taking the time to read my post.  I'll provide some quick context before I get into my questions:

-Applied to Regular Force in July 2012
-I am at the last stage of recruitment: the job offer! Met Tech, July 8 BMQ offered 2013/06/18.  Have not accepted at time of posting.
-I am married, we are currently renting an apartment.

Naturally I'm very excited at the opportunity to fulfill my application and start my career, but I was going over the details of my training and noticed a serious change in what I had budgeted during that time: I would now be required to pay Rations during BMQ (http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106874.0.html and http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/108923.0.html).  The information has been out there for a while (but doesn't seem to have changed), but sources seem to be in various states of update and as a potential recruit alot of what I have found has been over my head.

My ultimate question today is what can I expect to be taking home at the end of the month given my situation during BMQ, SQ and occupational training (6 months at CFS Met, on the job training at Gagetown)?  I understand the question may be a bit out of scope for this forum, but with my big concern in mind I was hoping for some insight on the following questions:

-Is the requirement to pay for rations during BMQ for married members accurate as of 2013/06/19?  Mostly, has there been any change to this policy since its posting (http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106874.0.html)?
-What options will I have for meals during occupational training?  I can cook for myself and would even prefer to.
-Am I entitled to a Temporary Duty / Land Duty Allowance / something similar during BMQ and occupational training?
-Are there any other benefits or allowances I would have access to that may help me bear the cost of rations now being imposed on Privates?

I will continue trying to educate myself on these topics today and call the recruitment center / CFLRS / anyone they direct me to.  With my offer looming though I am feeling a bit under the gun and am hoping that someone with more experience on these subjects or even experience dumbing down military policies (http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/doc/205.pdf) can provide me some insight into my questions.  Thanks.

Also, as a first time poster and long time lurker, I would like to thank everyone who participates in these army.ca forums.  The knowledge you provide IS valued and appreciated by many people registered or not.

tenspeed said:
My ultimate question today is what can I expect to be taking home at the end of the month given my situation during BMQ, SQ and occupational training (6 months at CFS Met, on the job training at Gagetown)?

Did you ask the CFRC any of this when they called you about the job offer?  Looked up the CF Pay Scales?

There is no SQ course anymore, it has been changed and renamed too BMQ-Land for quite a few years.  CFS Met? The CFRC told you that you would be doing OJT in CFB Gagetown?

tenspeed said:
-What options will I have for meals during occupational training?  I can cook for myself and would even prefer to.
-Am I entitled to a Temporary Duty / Land Duty Allowance / something similar during BMQ and occupational training?
-Are there any other benefits or allowances I would have access to that may help me bear the cost of rations now being imposed on Privates?

Call the CFRC when you can, and you can discuss all of your concerns with them.

*If you live in barracks, you will be eating in the mess hall. You won't find a kitchen in the barracks, so you will be unable to do any cooking, certain cooking items are also not allowed in barracks such as hot plates.
*You will only get field pay for the days you are in the field, not through the entire course.
*You will not get TD during BMQ as you are posted to St Jean/CFLRS, then you will be posted to the school in Borden. If you are Attach Posted out somewhere you will get TD, for example posted to Borden but sent away to Wainwright to do BMQ-Land.

tenspeed said:
-Is the requirement to pay for rations during BMQ for married members accurate as of 2013/06/19?  Mostly, has there been any change to this policy since its posting (http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106874.0.html)?

1.  AFAIK, the requirement to pay rations has not changed.
2.  More than likely, you will be occupying quarters with no cooking facilities and required to eat at the mess (and pay rations).
3.  No, because you will be posted to each location (CFLRS, school, etc), TD/LDA is not an entitlement.  You will get casual LDA for your time in the field only.
4.  You may be entitled to PLD, depending on where your primary residence is.  Make sure you bring in proof of your lease, rent, etc.  (I'm not 100% sure on this one).

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/44740/post-390144.html#msg390144

Pay has gone up a bit since then, but you get the general gist of it.

Thanks for the replies!

-Skeletor- said:
Did you ask the CFRC any of this when they called you about the job offer?  Looked up the CF Pay Scales?

Yes, I have researched the pay scales.  I was hoping someone could give more of an estimate of the net amount a typical married Private(1) takes home after taxes, benefits, pension... and rations now I guess during training postings in 2013.  I had it worked out for 2012, but the situation is different now.  Local CFRC wasn't terribly helpful on this point today, which is fine, they're not HR.

Cbbmtt said:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/44740/post-390144.html#msg390144

Pay has gone up a bit since then, but you get the general gist of it.

Great reference, thank you.  Now I'm just scaling it up to the current rate of pay - cost of rations = boned.

-Skeletor- said:
There is no SQ course anymore, it is and has been changed and renamed too BMQ-Land for quite a few years.  CFS Met? The CFRC told you that you would be doing OJT in CFB Gagetown?

I've been calling BMQ-Land "Soldier Qualification" the whole time I've been dealing with the CFRC and nobody has corrected me, haha.  Of course a quick search confirms you are correct.  The Met Tech info still shows "SQ", occupational training at CFS Met and the video indicates there is OJT in Gagetown.  I will be sure to get clarification on current the current training process, thanks for pointing out how out of date my information is.

---

The CFRC and my file manager there were able to confirm the same information volunteered by PMedMoe and Skeletor.  Unless I am living off-base there will likely be no cooking facilities available to me which forces me to buy Rations from the mess.

You were both also correct on the allowances / benefits.  I understand now that TD only applies if the base I am posted to sends me somewhere else.  CFLRS is the base I am posted to for BMQ so it does not apply.

---

I'm sure I'll be the millionth one to gripe about this but I feel the cost of Rations is unreasonable, to say the least.  I don't spend $500 a month to feed my entire family (pets included!).  In my case it may be what makes or breaks this job offer.  May have to consider reapplying to trades with occupational training here in Kingston and hoping for the best.

Back