• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sick Leave ( merged )

7RCA

Inactive
Reaction score
If you are in the reserves, how many sick days do you get??

None.

You do not get SICK DAYS in the CF.  A Class A Reservist gets no SICK DAYS.  A Class B or Class C Reservist on full time employment, and a Regular Force member, will get Sick Leave as required, from an authorized Medical practitioner in the CF. 

so what your saying is that u cant call in sick in the reserves?

7RCA said:

YOU can call in sick, but you will not get paid for any days you miss as a Class A Reservist.  If you work full time, then you must get a Sick Chit from the Medical staff the next day.  There is no "Honour System" where you can freely take any time off you want.

I don't have the reference handy, but I believe you can be authorized up to 2 days off in a row by your supervisor before you are ordered to the MIR to get checked out. This is completely the supervisors discretion, so if s/he thinks you're faking to get out of PT/work/etc, you'll be told to report. As George said, if you don't show up as a CL A reservist, you don't get paid.

QR&O 16.16 states:

An officer or non-commissioned member may be granted sick leave not exceeding:

(a) two continuous calendar days by the member’s commanding officer without the recommendation of a medical officer;

But George is right, Class A personnel do not get paid for sick days.

Handy Leave References

And the troops are masters at abusing that one.  Especially on a Friday ( Shot's Thursday night )  Right now our policy is they will come in and not call in sick. We have even sent drivers out to pick them up.  But we can, have and will again follow the Canforgen. ( Once the troops get out of their minds that it is a entitlement.  Reserves as stated don't get paid unless they are on full time employment and then of course they have the same options.  The big one after those days off though that I am not a fan of outright is getting a sick chit after a day off.  Especially if it is something like a 24 hour flue that is pretty well over in a day the soldier has to get into the MIR line up and get a chit for his days off.

At our unit, we have a call in sick form that the supervisor must fill out and send to the CO, through the Adjt.  I guess that way it gets tracked.  We are not required to go and get a sick chit after the fact.

Again, this policy is at the discretion of the CO.  If they feel people are abusing it, they are within their rights to make them come in.

Edit to add:  Maybe this should be moved to the Admin section.

Ahh, one thing I don't miss about the military, inherent stupidity.

"make them come in" or "they will come in and not call in sick"

I remember back when we had to come in no matter what, trying to drive while puking out the window without either skidding off the road, puking in my car, and/or letting too much snow in.......

I always said someday someone will fix this but I see stupid is forever.

"Stupid is forever" works on both sides of the ledger.  Everyone knows one or two people who always call in sick the day after they return from leave; I once had a PS employee who'd call in "sick" some mornings, forgetting that the phone at the office had call display - so I could note that they never called twice from the same number (different background voices every time were also suggestive).

As long as some folks abuse the system they make it hard on those who are legitimately sick.  And no, "hung over" is not grounds for a sick day.

I think my favourite was a guy at LStL who put on his out of office the day before he called in sick.. ;D

I love the new sick days.  Getting short leave around here is like pulling teeth.  The boss and I can work out a sick day now a lot easier then a day's short leave.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Ahh, one thing I don't miss about the military, inherent stupidity.

"make them come in" or "they will come in and not call in sick"

I remember back when we had to come in no matter what, trying to drive while puking out the window without either skidding off the road, puking in my car, and/or letting too much snow in.......

I always said someday someone will fix this but I see stupid is forever.

Agreed Bruce, and when it first came out I didn't have a problem with it. But where I am at it was getting rampant for those who were larking.  and on average a half dozen guys or more in a Coy were getting long weekends out of it ( and we are not bad at giving out short )
Once it settles down it will go back to the intent of the Can-forgen.  I too recall the days of no matter how sick or hurt making my way to the UMS, and I didn't agree with it then. ( still don't for that matter ) but since Malingering is a charge that is pretty well impossible to get done we had to find another route to put the brakes on.

In case the OP is confused by all this - I'll sum it up.

As a Class A Reservist if you're sick and can't come in for training, which happens, your best option is to call your orderly room and let your immediate supervisor (ie your section commander, etc) know that you aren't coming in.  Technically you don't have to but it's in good taste to do so.  If you miss a night now and then it's no big deal.  If you're chronically not showing up, expect a one way conversation about attendance to follow, because you're taking up a line serial that could go to a potential applicant who wants to be there.

If you don't show up for whatever reason on Class A, you don't get paid.  There's no allotment of "sick days".

7RCA said:

dapaterson said:
"Stupid is forever" works on both sides of the ledger.  Everyone knows one or two people who always call in sick the day after they return from leave; I once had a PS employee who'd call in "sick" some mornings, forgetting that the phone at the office had call display - so I could note that they never called twice from the same number (different background voices every time were also suggestive).

As long as some folks abuse the system they make it hard on those who are legitimately sick.  And no, "hung over" is not grounds for a sick day.

Of course I also don't have a problem with the 'duty supervisor' being sent to someone's home during the paid hours to *cough* see if the person in question requires anything.........

Oh we do that as well, not to mention those on bed rest being found out and about as they were not in their rooms.  At times I love having a devious mind and the troops after any length of time with me know it is better to be honest then try and pull anything.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Of course I also don't have a problem with the 'duty supervisor' being sent to someone's home during the paid hours to *cough* see if the person in question requires anything.........

Well, they only have that person's welfare/well being in mind, right?  ;)

Our "sick days" are tracked.

Policy is: "One can call in 'sick' on day 1 (but MUST "call-in" to a minimum rank Sergeant and actually SPEAK with them ... no voice mails on your own phone no one has access to [hey - it was tried by someone] or anyone else's phone).

Day Two: Still sick? Must go to the MIR.

The Sgt (or above) reports the member as 'sick' and it is logged in. Monthly report goes to the CO the 1st of every month.

Note: It's especially lovely looking over the "Call-in Sick report" for the prior year and noting the ones who do certainly call in sick 24 days a year ... eerily for as often as this one person gets "sick" - 22 times it occured on a Monday or a Friday; Once on a Thursday (which happened to be the Thursday before the Easter long weekend) and then once on a Tuesday - immediately following Monday's labour Day holiday.  ::) ... Then they were torqued when they were told they could no longer call-in sick "but you're not treating me like everyone else" ... "Well everyone else isn't abusing it are they?"

It's the idiots like that Bruce who cause "stupidity" to occur for the pers who really are sick.

Yup, and its management's job to manage those pers.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Yup, and its management's job to manage those pers.

Yep. That's why "X" isn't allowed to call in sick anymore.

Back