• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should the US create a Foreign Legion for non-Americans?

Were are you getting this idea that I (or anyone else) want to die.  There is a VERY big differnce between wanting to to die for a cause, versus accepting the fact that death may happen.  Is there something wrong with ACCEPTING the fact your job may kill you, but you do that job anyways. 

No, I do that every shift, however I don't beat my chest about it, I think you will find thats acceptance, not talking about what you WOULD do anonymously on the internet.
Just curious,have you tried all avenues to get into the US military?

Why would anyone renounce their country and fight for a foreign state?

The only reason I can think of this is that some people really like soldiering and love it as a career, and view the U.S. forces as a better employer for them (which they obvoiusly are). Then why not become a mercenary? Lots more pay, rewards and real combat in that profession.

No, I do that every shift, however I don't beat my chest about it, I think you will find thats acceptance, not talking about what you WOULD do anonymously on the internet.
Just curious,have you tried all avenues to get into the US military
Only the ones I know about, as for the other part I have story that I will tell by PM if you wish.

The US military isnt interested in mercenaries per se. Most people that enlist do so to become US citizens.
I would like the military use the sponsor employee provision of the Immigration Law. If the private sector can use it the military should be able to as well.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Just curious,have you tried all avenues to get into the US military?

Yes through family, school, work visas etc. Talked to recruiters for all branches.

I think it's a great idea.  Look how well it worked for Rome.  It became so bloated that it couldn't find enough Romans to serve.  The U.S should recruit from around the world to bolster its ranks. Anyone for the 93rd Mujahdin ninja recon sniper battallion?

CHIMO,  Kat

PS Tongue firmly in cheek, stand down, flamemeisters  ;D

BKells said:

The only reason I can think of this is that some people really like soldiering and love it as a career, and view the U.S. forces as a better employer for them (which they obvoiusly are). Then why not become a mercenary? Lots more pay, rewards and real combat in that profession.

Professional soldiers are not (or should not be) motivated by pay.  Yes they expect a certain amount of pay to live comfortably and provide for themselves and their family but nothing really beyond that.  Mercenaries are purely motivated by money, not any kind of sense of duty or loyalty to brothers in arms.  Plus with the fit hits the shan mercenaries have very few resources at their disposal to aid them (ie close air support, armour support, med-evac).

i think the idea has merit.

There are many Canadian citizens who have been interested in the Canadian Forces who have applied and then turned around and said FUCK IT because it's such a hassel to get in.

What do you do? Do you wait for months and months for the army to call or do you spend your tim more wisely? Find another job to feed your family, find a career for yourself.

In the CF it's like you beg them to join.
In the US it's like they beg you to join.
Who do you think will treat their people better?

I don't see anything wrong with someone choosing to fight along side one of our allies (and be a soldier compared to being a civilian applying for a year +)  when our own country shows an obvous lack luster interest in them, especially if they are interested in the combat arms. our own recruiters try to talk people out of joining!

Theres been quite a few american soldiers if im not mistaken who have died in iraq who were NOT full citizens.    I know people like to ride the whole for your country patriotic thing but some people believe in fighting for *Ideas* that are not restricted by borders or various political parties.

Hatchet Man,
Mercenaries are purely motivated by money, not any kind of sense of duty or loyalty to brothers in arms.  Plus with the fit hits the shan mercenaries have very few resources at their disposal to aid them (ie close air support, armour support, med-evac).

I don't think your being very fair with this. Your not really in a position to judge a mercenaries motivations. Lumping them all into one big group is a rather large stereo-type no?  ie Soldiers join the army to kill people.  Thats silly. Theres also a few posters on this site and other military-forums who are in the private security buisness who are absolutely stand up guys.  Saying professional soldiers shouldn't care about money. Well i think thats getting a little too romantic don't you?
How many professional soldiers do you think would sign up for the military if they only got paid enough to eat and own a house? Not many.

As for the resources, Take what an american soldier makes in a month in iraq and compare it to what a private security guy (or mercenary) would sometimes make in Iraq.  I'm just makign a guess here but lets say $3000/month compared to $8000-$10'000/month.
Militaries buy equipment from the lowest bidder. I'm guessing  private companies, because they are protecting their personal properity, hire the best people with the best equipment they can afford.

BKells said:

its not a s easy as saying "now Im a mercenary". Its a business where if you arent from a third world country you must know some people. Normally these connections are made through military service.  Even to get onto the "private military" band wagon you must know some people most times. I just recently sent an email to an army recruiter in the states after reading of their short fall in recruiting suggesting that they take steps to allow Canadians to join or former CF personnel. She responded that they were NOT interested in Canadian applicants. We arent held in the regard we think we are....

Ok, enough - I don't think this thread needs to turn into a pissing match and it is straying away from its original intent.

That being said, I want to reply to kincanucks (that got screwed up previously, hence the blank response):

kincanucks said:
Boys.  Don't get me wrong if you want to go to the US and join their military fill your boots.

No, no, no - we can't take that attitude.

Sure, there will be a few different types that we will always lose to other forces.  Some go to the US or Britain because they want to go on an Aircraft Carrier, fly a jet, or be a Ranger - that's their prerogative.  Some have also left after 9/11 because they feel that the US offers them a better place to do their part - this is something that we shouldn't worry about either.

However, there are people leaving because they don't find the sort of professional satisfaction that they should up here.  The military is (or should be) a career for most people, not something to dabble in.  If there are shortcomings in the CF that are leading people to other places that we have control over, we should do our utmost to point them out.

That being said, I'm constricting my last few posts to an outlook that goes beyond 9/11.  Sure, the War on Terror is going to kick up a few guys you are looking for a cause, but most soldiers don't join for a cause, they join for some sort of professional fulfillment, and if the CF is falling short in some respects in providing this (lack of challenging training, lack of career opportunities, etc, etc) then maybe we should rethink some of our methods of doing things.

But I really don't see this grand exit of good potential CF applicants that you do because there is one big difference between the US military and ours.  People die on a regular basis and I don't think that many of the applicants that I see on a daily basis would be that interested in joining if they knew their chances of getting killed were all of sudden significantly higher.

I'm going to disagree on this point.  The Army has lost 7 soldiers in Afghanistan and recently has a submariner come home.  The airforce has had its casualties as well, with the helicopter accident (a Griffon, IIRC) and the Snowbird fatality in the last year or so.  These were all fairly well publicized losses, and - despite, for the most part, being out of the combat that our allies are in - I think the Canadian public is fully aware that being in the military can be very dangerous.

As well, I don't think it is good to be recruiting people on the basis that the "CF is much safer then other militaries, I won't get killed" - if this is indeed an attitude we are allowing to persist (past basic?) then we are not doing a good job of impressing the obligation of unlimited liability upon our members.  They must know (and I'm sure most do) that the government could send them all to somewhere like Iraq and that they too could be coming home as a casualty.

Finally, saying that the CF is more attractive to young people because they know they won't get killed doesn't really have the historical precedent.  When the US opened its doors during the Vietnam War, some 10,000 (conservative estimate) to 30,000 (generous estimate) Canadians went South knowing full well that they would go to Vietnam and fight.  Can the CF afford to lose a potential 10,000 people now (either serving members or potential members)?

Remember, I'm not interested in the people who leave the CF to fight in a post 9/11 world or want to Captain a nuclear submarine - I'm concerned about those who lose interest because:

1) They are in and they find no real basic challenges that serving in a military can provide.

2) They want to get in but face too much waiting time between civvie street and becoming a trained soldier.

If people find an easier path to meeting these goals by heading south - which they are, as I've personally seen a bunch head to other countries - then the CF is coming up short in some basic matters that should be addressed.  I am willing to bet if you did an informal poll on Army.ca, you'd find a fairly alarming number of guys would head south if given an easy path to do so - I'm not talking about a mass exodus, but I'm talking about a chunk of soldiers that we can't afford to lose.

Sure there are many problems with the CF and I have seen a myriad of them in the last twenty plus years but I would hazard a guess that life in the US military is not that rosy either.  I will agree with you on the fact that Americans certainly treat their service people a lot better and I would certainly love to see more patriotism in this country.

You are right - I've consistently argued that the CF has its strengths and that we should never sell ourselves short.  As well, the "Grass is always Greener on the Other side of the Fence".  And I certainly don't want this to appear like some sort of whine against the CF - we are treated quite well (look at are pay, hard to match).  The reason for my response is that there are other, more fundamental areas where the CF may need to dedicate real energy to "shore up" recruiting and retention issues.  As I said before, I don't want to see young Canadians leave Canada because the CF didn't provide a challenge (or an opportunity).

Man, there was about 20 replies between my two attempts to post.

Look people, don't assume that everybody who heads south is "a mercenary".  As Canadians, we should try and be introspective to understand why young, fit Canadians would willingly head South to serve in the US Military rather then staying in Canada.

As I said before, being a volunteer soldier is being a member of a profession and finding achievement and satisfaction in your professional duties.  I'm just trying to explore some of the basic shortcomings that we in the CF may have in providing this.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Has this ever been put forward in the White House?

I'm working on it.  I have to put together a pitch for this for the Marine Corps and sumbmit it as idea.  I need to do some additional research though.

PJ D-Dog

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I think Kincanucks is bang-on with his assertion that many say "Yea, I'm willing to die, etc", until the time comes than the chaff and wheat are separated.

Of the Marines that I know who went to Iraq (good friends of mine), the last thing on their minds during the deployment was "oh my god, I'm going to DIE!!!!!!!!".  They had confidence in their training and the belief that this is what they have been preparing for.  When you are in the military, you have a job to and if that job entails life threatening situations, then that's part of your job description.

I know in Marine boot camp, this point was rammed home with a sledghammer on a daily basis.  We were also told, on an equal basis, how our training would probably save our life and the lives of fellow Marines.  If one cannot accept this fact at enlistment then they should not be joining the forces of any branch.  You don't see any Marines deserting.

Ask the refuge board.
If you are refering to the US Army deserters claiming refugee status in Canada, those guys are actually cowards in my book.  They signed the contract and agreed to do the job.  The problems the US Army is having comes from poor leadership in certain commands.  They just don't know how to fix their leadership problems in certain units and so they end up with deserters making crazy claims.

PJ D-Dog

PJ D-Dog,
My statement there was directed to those who haven't served but make more noise than those who have been to poop-holes around the world.
I read often here people talking about heading down there to "kill" and " get neat kit"........I just wish I could use my crystal ball to see how many would actually do it. Hopefully something becomes of your idea.
Quote,
Of the Marines that I know who went to Iraq (good friends of mine), the last thing on their minds during the deployment was "oh my god, I'm going to DIE!!!!!!!!".  They had confidence in their training and the belief that this is what they have been preparing for.

...the thought that they could die SHOULD be on thier minds though, IMHO, thats what helps keep the confidence and training in focus.
Again, my opinion, but I strongly believe if you lose that thought, you lose your edge.

Quote,
If you are refering to the US Army deserters claiming refugee status in Canada, those guys are actually cowards in my book.  They signed the contract and agreed to do the job. 

......trust me, I would be more than happy to provide the transportation required to drop these            at your front door. ;)

So what are the chances of this actually happening do you think? 1 in 10 000?

I think that it's a good idea. But unless there is a good reason I don't think you should form it as a seperate unit.  I also don't like the "special or high-risk operations"  The US should not be looking for others to take only high risk missions but comrades taking the same risks US troops take.  Just make it easier for Canadians and others to enlist in the US military.

Why limit it to the Marines, if somebody wants to try for the Armored Cav, Rangers, SF or Seals let them.

Backround security checks would be an issue.  I believe the today's Foreign Legion doesn't take just anybody, they do backround checks. Does anyone know how the French hand it?

FFL run your name through interpol and then do an interview,psych test and IQ test. The rest sorts it out afterwards because you are closely monitored,

Back