• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should the toast to the Queen be omitted from Mess Dinner's

All this talk of toast makes me think of cheese whiz and philly cream cheese in the packets when hayboxes are full of boiled eggs and ?bacon?..... anyhoo, a toast should be seen as such. A simple salutation, if no crown, then the big furry bison helmet crafted in Wx to signify dark hairy things? I'm no monarchist, but leave some shyte alone for the old guys to try and stay in the know.

Since the POTUS is the Head of State, it is quite correct to toast "The President" regardless of party affiliation or what you personally think of the current office holder. (To counter any regal aspirations by the office holder, Americans swear their oath to the Constitution, not the President)

The same applies to HRH Elizabeth II, or at some point in the future HRH Charles III (or William IV), who as Head of State provides an apolitical symbol for all Canadians.

So the question stands; if the Monarch is no longer the Canadian Head of State, who or what would we make the "loyal toast" to?

Does this whole subject fall into the same category as the changes to O Canada song?  :)

no ,,,, i stand with army vern and geo,,,
god save the queen....  The Crown is indeed part of our history, a proud history. And each time we toast The Crown we are saluting our rich hertitage and traditions, and they are inescapable. Erasing the monarch from the face of Canada will do nothing to change that. The Crown is, and always will be, a part of our Canadian military heritage; no matter how one wishs to slice it.

queen and country (canada)

I f you think the curent manner in which we swear our oath, or toast the Crown for that matter, has anything to do with the belief that colonialism still exists in Canada you need to do some more research.

We have been an independant sovereign nation for quite some time now.

geo has the right of it also

12:38:52 »Quote A mess dinner is an opportunity for past, present & future comrades in arms to gather, reminisce, eat drink and be merry, before going back to the task at hand of - to close with & destroy the enemy!... wether real or figurative.

The toast to the Queen, the toast to the Regiment, the toast to our officers (the CME even have a place in our prayer for our officers), the toast to our fallen comrades -  they are all part of who we were, who we are and who we aspire to become.

The decision on the status of the Queen of Canada is a political decision and it is not up to the Canadian forces, her loyal Canadian forces, to decide.  We serve!

Gentlemen, please rise and join me in a toast to the Queen.
The Queen!, God bless her!
gentlemen,,,,ladies,,,distinguished comrades,,,honored friends..
fallen comrades,,, the queen...
                  salute
                    scoty b

Back