• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF

Humphrey Bogart said:
This is my point, if you change the culture, do you spoil the recipe that makes these organizations effective war machines?

Reminds me of something I read,

"The military has long known that the soldier's morale is sustained not just by plenty of badges and medals and by ample access to alcohol and, when possible, non-infectious sexual intercourse but by the irrational conviction on the part of each soldier that he has the honor of serving in the best squad in the best platoon in the best company in the best battalion in the best regiment etc. in the army."

Wartime: Understanding and Behavior in the Second World War
By Paul Fussell

Ran across this story this morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-must-pay-up-for-military-sexual-assault-victims/ar-BBXkjXm?ocid=spartanntp

tomahawk6 said:
Ran across this story this morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-must-pay-up-for-military-sexual-assault-victims/ar-BBXkjXm?ocid=spartanntp

From my biased point of view it makes sense that senior members exploit junior ones. I would think if it was reversed the senior member would have more avenues or confidence in dealing with the situation.

Quite suprising at how much is being paid out to be honest though.

Abdullah

AbdullahD said:
From my biased point of view it makes sense that senior members exploit junior ones. I would think if it was reversed the senior member would have more avenues or confidence in dealing with the situation.

Quite suprising at how much is being paid out to be honest though.

Abdullah

It's expected that there will be quite a lot of claimants, so the amount isn't that surprising.

I know a couple people who have been involved in the legal action, and they're seeing the bigger victory as ND + VAC policy and procedure changes, including VAC's change to the 'benefit of doubt' policy, which impacts not just Military Sexual Trauma survivors, but all VAC claimants.

Further information, including claims forms and copies of the final settlement agreement, is available at: https://www.caf-dndsexualmisconductclassaction.ca/

Brihard said:
It's expected that there will be quite a lot of claimants, so the amount isn't that surprising.

I know a couple people who have been involved in the legal action, and they're seeing the bigger victory as ND + VAC policy and procedure changes, including VAC's change to the 'benefit of doubt' policy, which impacts not just Military Sexual Trauma survivors, but all VAC claimants.

I might PM you on other means... I have questions that you *might* be able to help answer.

In the news,

CTV News
December 4, 2019

Former high-ranking naval officer charged with 7 more cases of sexual assault since 2018 arrest
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/former-high-ranking-naval-officer-charged-with-7-more-cases-of-sexual-assault-since-2018-arrest-1.4715408#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=ifBPpSO

None of the allegations against the retired officer have been proven in court.

Just out: options now include 1) use the internal CF system to file a complaint, or 2) go directly to the Cdn Human Rights Commission (CHRC) ...
... Effective immediately, any Canadian Armed Forces members who have experienced sexual harassment, sexual misconduct or any other form of discrimination based on sex/gender while performing their duties have a new path to justice available to them. They can choose to bring their complaint directly to the Canadian Human Rights Commission (CHRC). The Canadian Human Rights Commission is Canada's human rights watchdog and operates independently from the Government of Canada.

With this change, a CAF member who intends to file a complaint of sexual harassment or discrimination on the basis of sex will have two options for lodging a complaint: (1) they can file a complaint through the existing CAF grievance and harassment processes, or (2) they can file directly with the CHRC. Members who choose to go directly to the CHRC will no longer be required to exhaust internal grievance and harassment processes first. The implementation of these recommendations applies to both new and existing complaints.

In particular, as recommended by Madame Arbour, the Canadian Armed Forces will no longer file objections based on section 41(1)(a) of the Canadian Human Rights Act in response to member complaints of sexual harassment or discrimination on the basis of sex being filed directly with the Canadian Human Rights Commission (CHRC). The Canadian Armed Forces recognizes the CHRC’s decades of experience in this area and is committed to learning from the CHRC’s expertise ...
Archived link here if previous link doesn't work.

Just out: options now include 1) use the internal CF system to file a complaint, or 2) go directly to the Cdn Human Rights Commission (CHRC) ...

Archived link here if previous link doesn't work.
Fortunately the CHRC is really well resourced and equipped to handle additional complaints.

Is there some kind of lower limit what complaint can go to CHRC? They keep using sexual misconduct, harrassment and other terms interchangeably when they aren't, so it's confusing.

The RAF apparently has similar issues. And a defense of "I'm not flexible enough to put my balls on the bar" was unsuccessful.

Assistant judge advocate general Jane England spoke as she dismissed an officer for exposing himself to two civilian female bar staff as they worked at a military party.

That judge wasn't dicking around.

I am still convinced giving the sexual asdault cases over to civilian police will be a huge failure. We likely had the most proficient police force in the country for investigating these types of cases, due to the amount they dealt with in a such a short amount of time and a lack of other policing cases to draw them away (troops are much better behaved than the general public and our police ratio is quite high).

Its a shame many won’t even get their chance at justice due to the supreme court and their arbitrary 18 month rule.

I am still convinced giving the sexual asdault cases over to civilian police will be a huge failure. We likely had the most proficient police force in the country for investigating these types of cases, due to the amount they dealt with in a such a short amount of time and a lack of other policing cases to draw them away (troops are much better behaved than the general public and our police ratio is quite high).

Its a shame many won’t even get their chance at justice due to the supreme court and their arbitrary 18 month rule.
Are you questioning infinite wisdom of a retired supreme court justice? Because it sounds like you are questioning the infinite wisdom of retired supreme court justice…

Are you questioning infinite wisdom of a retired supreme court justice? Because it sounds like you are questioning the infinite wisdom of retired supreme court justice…

checking blood and oil GIF

I thought in Canada the judiciary were beyond reproach, on high, infallible and their judgments were to be unquestioned ?
That is what we have been sold.......become well known in your field for getting scumbags off by lying through your teeth, and one day that could be you playing the starring role in "The Untouchables".

Hey, come on…Louise Arbour does not make mistakes.
The most recent Canadian Military Journal includes some light criticism of the Arbour Report; this is perhaps a sign that it is now appropriate to point out some of the flaws in said document.

Back