• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF

Its a little bit hyperbole to suggest anyone is losing their right to due process or procedural fairness.  There is nothing to substantiate an accusation that we are going toward any such construct. 

Not all sexual misconduct nor sexual harassment is criminal, so potential incidents cannot be left (as you suggest) with only criminal investigation as a path to resolution. 

Thucydides said:
Well, it certainly didn't take long to go down the road US colleges and Universities are already on....

For the previous Canadian example of loss of due process rights and making a mockery of "justice", one only has to look at the so called Human Rights Commissions and Human Rights Tribunals... It is far past time the military stops being a bunching bag for whatever cause de jour is out there. The Military CoC should tell the Ombudsman and all the other "agencies" eager to expand their powers to stuff it; criminal investigations will be carried out by competent authorities, not self appointed "star chambers". The 1-800 chain of command nonsense has caused far more confusion and thrown more sand in the gears rather than "solve" any problems that I can see. We know what works, use the tools that exist properly.

I don't understand your point here. Who says any of this is actually happening? It actually looks like we're not going down the road of doing this sort of "Sexual Inquisition", thank God.

While I agree that the CAF is often the target of axe-grinders (both internal and external), I would also say that it is long, LONG, past time when the CAF should have learned that the way to deal with this sort of stuff (or any nasty business), is to go ugly early. Be completely forthright, hit the media first before they hit you, take responsibility, get the facts, protect the innocent and punish the guilty in an exemplary way.

Anything else will blow up in the CAF's face, thus reinforcing the self-fulfilling prophecy that "everybody hates us".

MCG said:
Its a little bit hyperbole to suggest anyone is losing their right to due process or procedural fairness.  There is nothing to substantiate an accusation that we are going toward any such construct. 

Not all sexual misconduct nor sexual harassment is criminal, so potential incidents cannot be left (as you suggest) with only criminal investigation as a path to resolution.

As always, one of the biggest problems with SA cases is that the 'accused' are frequently tried in the court of public opinion and their reputations left in tatters before they've had their day in court. If you could prevent that from happening (all too frequently) in some way my bet is that you would have a better overall result for everyone involved.

While this is the example of what is happening in the US, I am pretty sure this sort of thing will be the "model" for whatever process is being contemplated here. And as noted above, people will be "tried in the court of public opinion" and have theirr reputations attacked as well, ssomething which may never be fully "repaired" even if the person involved is exonerated. And this system, BTW, is already in place for the "Human Rights" comissions and tribunals, so you only have to look in that diorection to see where things go seriously wrong for anyone caught in that system:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-06-02/campus-justice-punished-until-proven-innocent

Campus Justice: Punished Until Proven Innocent
Jun 2, 2015 9:00 AM EDT
By Megan McArdle

In February, Laura Kipnis, a professor at Northwestern, wrote an article for the Chronicle of Higher Education in which she decried the creeping bureaucratization and fear that surrounds sexual activity on campus. Last week, she revealed that as a consequence of that article, she had been investigated for violating Title IX of the Civil Rights Act.

No, I'm not eliding some intermediate step, where she used printed copies of the article as a cudgel to attack her female students. The article itself was the suspect act. According to Kipnis, it was seen as retaliation against students who had filed complaints against a professor, and would have a "chilling effect" and create a "hostile environment" for women in the Northwestern community. Northwestern put Kipnis through a lengthy process in which she wasn't allowed to know the nature of the complaint until she talked to investigators, nor could she have representation.

But the process worked, says Justin Weinberg, because Kipnis was eventually exonerated. Weinberg, who teaches philosophy, also thinks it's "not obvious" that writing an article about an ongoing complaint, which does not mention either the students or professors by name, is retaliation under Title IX. Like Brian Leiter, I find his summation of the facts underwhelming, and as Leiter says, "If Kipnis's opinion piece about sexual paranoia on campus, in which the graduate student is not even named and barely referenced, constitutes adverse 'treatment,' then there is no right for any faculty member at any institution receiving federal funds to offer any opinions, however indirect, about any question surrounding allegations of sexual misconduct at the institution."

But I'll let Leiter argue with Weinberg about the case itself, because I want to take issue with this passage: "As I noted earlier, the Title IX investigation yielded no finding of retaliation against Kipnis. One can only imagine how disappointed she will be with this. It turns out that the process she had been demonizing—which of course may have its flaws—pretty much worked, from her point of view."

I think this is deeply wrong, and for all that, it is not an uncommon sentiment. You often hear this sort of argument when people complain about the byzantine procedures that colleges use to adjudicate charges of a racial or sexual nature, or when they argue that we should always presumptively believe any rape accusation: "Well, if they didn't do that, the system will figure it out eventually, so what's the big deal?"

This ignores the fact that the process itself can become the punishment. Sexual assault, racial harassment and similar crimes are serious charges, that should be treated seriously. This makes being charged with such an offense a very big deal for the accused. The judicial process is time consuming, often confusing, and scary. The accused may need to pay for legal advice, even though they often aren't allowed to take counsel into the system with them. Then there's the worry of knowing that however crazy the charge sounds to you, the campus judicial process may have very different ideas.

The campus system is, in its own way, especially punishing: The accused has limited rights, the system is opaque, and it's hard to even know how other cases get resolved. The system cannot send you to jail, but it can expel you with a mark on your permanent transcript that will make it harder to get admitted elsewhere, or if you work for the school, start the wheels in motion to get you fired. These are not small punishments. Some of the system's defenders say it does not need the same due process standards as a legal charge would, because it can't result in prison time. But I doubt these defenders would be so sanguine about this Kafkaesque process if it were directed at them, threatening their futures.

So if we do not attempt to weed out frivolous charges early in the process -- for example, by firmly telling graduate students that they do not have a blanket right to keep their professors from mentioning public charges the students have filed -- then we create a weapon that can be used against anyone you dislike, or disagree with. Courts are well aware of this problem, which is one reason that they try hard to throw out frivolous lawsuits as quickly as possible. It's also why they have all those protections around due process and transparency that campus judicial systems have abandoned. Not to mention a higher standard of evidence for a conviction.

Kipnis's case should have been dropped for the same reason that a court would grant a motion for summary judgment: because even if all the allegations were true, "writing about a case in a way I dislike" is not an act of abuse from which students need to be protected. Now, perhaps Northwestern felt that it could not dismiss the claim so swiftly, because the laws and regulations surrounding civil rights gave them no alternative but to stage a full investigation. In that case, the problem is the same, but the fault lies one level higher, with the bureaucracy that has told schools to put every single accused person through the wringer, no matter how outlandish the charge. This is obviously not good for the individuals accused. But it's also not healthy for the community or for its justice system.

To contact the author on this story:
Megan McArdle at mmcardle3@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor on this story:
Philip Gray at philipgray@bloomberg.net

The latest, from the new* Commandant - highlights mine:
“Officer Cadets at the Royal Military College of Canada (RMCC) are young Canadians that must learn and embrace the ethos of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) and the military values of duty, loyalty, integrity and courage. RMCC provides them the training and education upon which their service commitment to Canada is founded.

“As future leaders of the CAF and as students in a post-secondary institution, we expect our Officer Cadets to demonstrate respect and attentiveness at all times. We place the highest priority on proper conduct and maintaining a positive environment based on respect and trust that is free from harassment and discrimination.

“Any allegation of sexual misconduct at RMCC concerns me greatly and we are disturbed by recent such allegations. Sexual misconduct is reprehensible and completely antithetical to the values we hold in the military. While the overwhelming majority of Officer Cadets uphold our strong values, even one incident is unacceptable. I am committed to ensuring that we are doing all that we can to inculcate the highest values, ethics and conduct norms.

“To this end, RMCC has incorporated focussed harassment and sexual misconduct training and will further advance this training for the fall session as part of our Sexual Misconduct and Harassment Prevention Response Plan. In addition, the CAF Strategic Response Team on Sexual Misconduct, led by Lieutenant-General Chris Whitecross, will be visiting RMCC in the fall as part of their cross-country town hall series to raise awareness of inappropriate sexual behaviour in the CAF and to outline the action plan developed in response to the External Review Authority’s Report on Sexual Misconduct and Sexual Harassment. I look forward to hearing feedback from this team, and from staff, faculty and Officer Cadets, so that we can continue to improve our resilience to the serious issue of sexual misconduct.

“We will continue to hold offenders accountable and ensure leaders, supervisors and bystanders fulfill their duties when it comes to responding to incidents or concerns. Effective, caring and compassionate victim support services will continue to be available. I am committed to ensuring RMCC is an institution Canadians can continue to be proud of.”

Brigadier-General Sean Friday

* - The 6 June 2015 statement says "new," but I don't know how "new" the Commandant in question is.

Apparently the CDS believes that we are are all biologically programmed to be d__kheads.  :facepalm:

Military sexual misconduct due to 'biological wiring,' Gen. Tom Lawson says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/military-sexual-misconduct-due-to-biological-wiring-gen-tom-lawson-says-1.3115993

Sexual harassment is still an issue in the Canadian Forces because people are "biologically wired in a certain way," according to Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Tom Lawson.

In an exclusive interview with CBC's chief correspondent Peter Mansbridge, airing tonight on The National, Lawson said the "terrible issue" of military sexual harassment "disturbs the great majority of everyone in uniform and yet, we're still dealing with it."

"It would be a trite answer, but it's because we're biologically wired in a certain way and there will be those who believe it is a reasonable thing to press themselves and their desires on others. It's not the way it should be," he said.

"Much as we would very much like to be absolutely professional in everything we do, and I think by and large we are, there will be situations and have been situations where, largely, men will see themselves as able to press themselves onto our women members."

In April, a searing report by Marie Deschamps, a retired Supreme Court justice, said sexual misconduct is "endemic" in the Canadian military.

Deschamps laid blame on a pervasive macho culture where the leadership tolerates abuse and leaves women in fear of reporting it.

Lawson admitted the culture needs to change.

"We are going to tackle that. We've been successful in tackling other cultures," he said, adding that the Armed Forces are "well on their way."

There are currently at least two courts martial ongoing in relation to incidents of sexual assault and harassment at the Royal Military College, one incident alleged to have taken place just last month.

"Why would a male cadet decide that they could treat one of the female cadets like that?" Lawson said.

"We believe that's a little bit of biological wiring and inappropriate behaviour."

Lawson is stepping down as Canada's top general in September. He will be replaced by Lt.-Gen. Jonathan Vance, currently the commander of the Canadian Joint Operations Command.

Just deleted something that a serving member shouldn't say publicly about the CDS...

medicineman said:
Just deleted something that a serving member shouldn't say publicly about the CDS...
Makes me glad I've hung up the soldier suit.  The change of CDS can't come soon enough  :facepalm:

medicineman said:

Did you delete my post where I said Vance might be CDS sooner than we think? Yes I'm serving and yes I stand by that.

"It would be a trite answer, but it's because we're biologically wired in a certain way and there will be those who believe it is a reasonable thing to press themselves and their desires on others. It's not the way it should be," he said.

I see nothing to disagree with:
1) we're biologically wired in a certain way
2) there will be those who believe it is a reasonable thing to press themselves and their desires on others
3) It's not the way it should be

ajuks nerrad said:
Did you delete my post where I said Vance might be CDS sooner than we think? Yes I'm serving and yes I stand by that.

I did.....it was jibberish.

Maybe try it with some information and context so people know what the heck you're talking about.

However, good day.

How the Commander of the Australian Army addressed this two years ago:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaqpoeVgr8U&feature=youtu.be

"Those who think that its okay to behave in a way that demeans and exploits their colleagues have no place in the army"

dapaterson said:
How the Commander of the Australian Army addressed this two years ago:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaqpoeVgr8U&feature=youtu.be

"Those who think that its okay to behave in a way that demeans and exploits their colleagues have no place in the army"

Yep, the former Chief of Army (he retired a month ago) really pulled no punches on that one.

Also, an interview of that after he retired:

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2015/s4239099.htm

Brad Sallows said:

2) there will be those who believe it is a reasonable thing to press themselves and their desires on others

I concur.

He could, perhaps, have worded this idea better, but he is not wrong.

There are those in society who have not quite evolved as much as they should have, and whatever upbringing, education, and training that they have received has been failed to overcame this shortcoming.

Brad Sallows said:

He's right. It could have been better worded. I've been saying similar things for years now. I just don't use the media as my audience.

Back