• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF

THe latest: there's now an Honorary Colonel to help make the response needle move (archived link also here).
Mini-bio from the statement ...
Just what the hell does the appointing of an LGTBQ person as an Hr. Col have to do with "sexual assault and misconduct in the CAF"?

Just what the hell does the appointing of an LGTBQ person as an Hr. Col have to do with "sexual assault and misconduct in the CAF"?
Thought that was all part of the app't of the Chief, Professional Conduct and Culture - if there's a better place to put this, I'd be happy to move it.

National Defence vows to get better at helping men who report military sexual misconduct​

The number of male soldiers reporting sexual misconduct has been increasing​

That's a huge % of the total number of files... I had no idea:

"Men accounted for almost half of all new case files opened on claims of sexual misconduct in the military during the latest official reporting period in 2022-23.

DND said that, during that reporting period, 1,431 new case files were opened over 12 months. Of those, "645 identified as women and 528 identified as men. The remainder identified themselves as gender diverse or the gender remained unidentified."

I love the part about ‘engaging in sexual exploitation being against the CAF Ethos and values’.

From the sounds of it this is one individual who is willingly providing this service. Doesn’t really sound like exploitation to me. Whatever happened to respecting the dignity of all persons, which would include sex workers?

I love the part about ‘engaging in sexual exploitation being against the CAF Ethos and values’.

From the sounds of it this is one individual who is willingly providing this service. Doesn’t really sound like exploitation to me. Whatever happened to respecting the dignity of all persons, which would include sex workers?
You know you're in Canada when words mean absolutely nothing.

Isn't 'prostituting yourself while in uniform' part of the job requirements in many Ottawa workplaces? ;)

The Morning Show Career GIF by Apple TV+

So it looks like RCN Officer X has made the news again. Can't post the article. Google is your friend.

It absolutely sickens me that they expect institutional leadership from me and then protect this asshole.

For the love of God RCN and CAF do the fucking right thing.

So it looks like RCN Officer X has made the news again. Can't post the article. Google is your friend.

It absolutely sickens me that they expect institutional leadership from me and then protect this asshole.

Using Administrative action to correct a problem, then claiming admin action is exempt from disclosure, undermines the self regulation of the profession.

Well, to be fair, it sounds like the guy has a civvy job that requires him to work with children so I guess they didn't want to ruin his career ;)

Well, to be fair, it sounds like the guy has a civvy job that requires him to work with children so I guess they didn't want to ruin his career ;)

It just gets worse and worse eh? Threatening to charge the complainants with treason and mutiny!

Using Administrative action to correct a problem, then claiming admin action is exempt from disclosure, undermines the self regulation of the profession.
DND has the burden of having to comply with the Privacy Act (see also DAOD 1002-6which states:
7 Personal information under the control of a government institution shall not, without the consent of the individual to whom it relates, be used by the institution except
  • (a) for the purpose for which the information was obtained or compiled by the institution or for a use consistent with that purpose; or
  • (b) for a purpose for which the information may be disclosed to the institution under subsection 8(2).
8 (1) Personal information under the control of a government institution shall not, without the consent of the individual to whom it relates, be disclosed by the institution except in accordance with this section.
8 (2) Subject to any other Act of Parliament, personal information under the control of a government institution may be disclosed (m) for any purpose where, in the opinion of the head of the institution,
  • (i) the public interest in disclosure clearly outweighs any invasion of privacy that could result from the disclosure,
Note that the release authority under 8(2)(m)(i) is DAIP.

I expect that there are probably a half dozen legal opinions accessible to you that discuss how the act is to be interpreted within DND. There's a balancing of weighing of conflicting rights here that folks within DND are never comfortable with and, and who, as a result, tend to err on the side of the individual rather than the public interest.

🍻

Back