• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF

recceguy said:
If you're willing to blanket everyone, no matter their knowledge or personal conviction on the item, why not just give the test, as part of the recruiting process and bar anyone who fails it, from the military, period? Oh, and add about another month to the already archaic recruiting process already in place.

It would have about the same impact as your suggestion.

Blanket everyone? Who suggested that? I stated that there were tools to prevent and punish sexyal harrassment and they weren't being used. So it's a leadership problem. The system for evaluation of leaders at all levels allows for input and opens transparency. I can give you a list of academic work that show that 360 and like systems work well for professional development and improvement (ie- the PDR). It has nothing to do with recruiting.

Eye In The Sky said:
I don't trust the DesChamps report.  There are issues; some of the women involved stated they found the questions, discussions "leading" for example.

FWIW, and this is just my opinion...

We already HAD policies, regulations, orders..you name it...in place to deal with harassment, assault, all of this stuff.  The problem is...they were not being applied and employed.

I agree this is mostly a LEADERSHIP issue.  If LEADERS, at all levels, applied the policies, regulations, orders, CSD, RMs, etc etc the way they were supposed to...there would be no need for OP HONOUR.

Who is responsible for harassment stuff, ultimately?  ROs...who are they?  COs, Cmdts, etc.  If a case was mishandled...are they not responsible for it?  If they mishandle a case, complaint, etc are they then held to account?  In some cases, for sure, the answer is 'no'. 

Leadership and deterrence are what is needed now to get those who aren't paying attention to pay attention.  At all rank levels. 

In all honesty...we are doing 'more with less' all the time.  Ethics Programs are part of our (minimum) yearly trg requirements, but the scope of OP HONOUR can't be supported by the unit level Ethic Coord's. 

This is a leadership task.  There were enough rules and policies and corrective tools in place.  If those weren't being used before, the only thing that will make the change desired is holding people, at all levels, to account for their performance and/or conduct deficiencies.  Hey...we even have DAODs about that stuff.  How odd.

But, much like CFPAS...let's not just issue stern direction and marching orders from the top to "follow orders and policy, no questions, get on with it"...we'll reinvent the wheel instead.  "If we make it look broken by not using it right, we won't have to use it at all!"

I'm well aware of the pokicy, orders, etc that existed prior to Op HONOUR and agree it's mostly a leadership issue. However, if leadership failed in the 1990's (the CAR) and recently (despite your thoughts on the report it is the bar we have to go with until someone comes up with a new one).

I'm simply suggesting replacing the PDR with a 360-esque system including ethics would give transparency to issues and give the CoC exposure to things they may not know about otherwise. Command can then make their own decisions on the info. I don't think it's unreasonable, particularly if matched with education

Tcm621 said:
My biggest problem with this whole thing is not the big picture of handling actually sexual misconduct. It is the idea that everyone is such a fragile flower that a dirty joke or perhaps an advance from a co-worker will send then in to a withering spiral of depression, etc.
Rather than coddle those who can't handle a little adversity,  we should empower them to deal with it themselves as much as possible. And it should go with out saying that any cases of rape, or the like, should be dealt with in the harshest possible manner.

Have you actually read the Deschamps report or at least the executive summary? It certainly doesn't appear so. Here are some excerpts to respond to your ideas above:

Culture of the CAF

...the ERA’s consultations revealed a sexualized environment in the CAF, particularly among recruits and non- commissioned members, characterized by the frequent use of swear words and highly degrading expressions that reference women’s bodies, sexual jokes, innuendos, discriminatory comments with respect to the abilities of women, and unwelcome sexual touching. Cumulatively, such conduct creates an environment that is hostile to women and LGTBQ members, and is conducive to more serious incidents of sexual harassment and assault.
The ERA found that members appear to become inured to this sexualized culture as they move up the ranks. For example, non-commissioned officers (NCOs), both men and women, appear to be generally desensitized to the sexualized culture. Officers tend to excuse incidents of inappropriate conduct on the basis that the CAF is merely a reflection of civilian society. There is also a strong perception that senior NCOs are responsible for imposing a culture where no one speaks up and which functions to deter victims from reporting sexual misconduct.

As a result of these attitudes, there is a broadly held perception in the lower ranks that those in the chain of command either condone inappropriate sexual conduct, or are willing to turn a blind-eye to such incidents.

On empowering people to deal with it themselves (i.e. at the lowest level) and taking a harsh stance on unacceptable behaviour:
Processes and Procedures
... the emphasis on the use of self-help techniques and on resolving the complaint at the lowest level is problematic. Victims will generally not be comfortable taking a confrontational position with their harasser, particularly when the harasser was of a higher rank. Moreover, many interviewees who did bring their complaint forward to a supervisor reported that the complaint was not taken seriously. The ERA found that the pressure to settle complaints at the lowest level functions to stifle complaints and intimidate complainants; it has the very opposite effect of a zero tolerance policy. Formal alternative dispute resolution (ADR) is also offered to victims, however the ERA found that these procedures are generally inappropriate in cases of sexual harassment.

The ERA also heard that even where complaints of sexual harassment are ultimately held to be well-founded, the resulting sanction was generally perceived as meaningless—a “slap on the wrist”—and ineffective as a deterrent.
Even more serious problems were reported with respect to the procedures in place to investigate sexual assault. The ERA is particularly concerned by the reports it heard of the lack of appropriate skills demonstrated by the military police. While the ERA met with a number of dedicated members of the military police, many were confused about the relevant policies, insensitive to the problem of sexual assault, lacked training on the basic elements of the offence (including the legal concept of consent), and were unaware of the available resources to support victims. Further, the ERA heard that low- level assaults, and assaults that do not result in physical injury, tend to be ignored, and charges in these cases are often not laid.

If you are interested, you can read more here- http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services/external-review-sexual-mh-2015/summary.page.

The latest - preliminary hearing started this week, shared under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-42) ...
A preliminary hearing into allegations of sexual assault and exploitation of a young cadet by a high ranking military officer got underway Tuesday in an Edmonton courtroom.

Lt.-Col. Mason Stalker, commander of 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, in Edmonton, was arrested in July 2015 on 10 charges. The charges, including sexual assault, relate to alleged incidents involving a military cadet in Edmonton between 1998 and 2007.

On Tuesday, the Crown withdrew one count of breach of trust, but the other nine charges are still in place. The details of the preliminary hearing are protected by a publication ban, as is the identity of the complainant.

The incidents were investigated by the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service, a unit within the Canadian Forces Military Police Group, which charged Stalker on July 28, 2015.

The military confirmed the charges Stalker faces relate to a single victim, though the investigative service would not release the person’s age.

Maj. Doug Keirstead, a spokesman for the Canadian Cadet Organizations, said the offences allegedly occurred while Stalker was a mentor with the 2551 Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps in Edmonton.

Stalker was released from custody on $2,500 bail shortly after his arrest, with conditions in place prohibiting him from contacting cadets under the age of 18 and staying away from places where children gather. Last September, Stalker opted for trial by jury.

Stalker has twice received a Meritorious Service Medal for his role in Canada’s war in Afghanistan. In July 2015, he led the military’s fight against wildfires in northern Saskatchewan.

He assumed his latest post in August 2014, but was suspended pending the outcome of the court case.

This, from The Canadian Press, shared under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-42) ...
A high-ranking military officer accused of sex crimes has been ordered to stand trial.

Lt.-Col. Mason Stalker, commander of the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry in Edmonton, was arrested last year on 10 charges.

Following a preliminary hearing this week, a judge has determined the 41-year-old will proceed to trial on four counts of sexual exploitation and three counts of sexual assault.

The charges relate to alleged incidents involving a military cadet in Edmonton between 1998 and 2007.

No trial date has been set and Stalker has chosen to have a jury trial.

Stalker has been suspended from his post pending the outcome of the court case.

ReeceO,

I think the fact that they don't trust their leaders has a lot to do with they don't feel comfortable coming to them with problems. If you can't trust your leader to look out for your interests on the little things, you won't think about going to them with big problems.

Does anyone think we have a culture of trust between the ranks in the CAF? I have had leaders I trust, as I am sure everyone else has, and I try to be one my subordinates can trust but overall I think we have a culture of distrust. Jnr ranks don't trust Snr NCOs, No one trust officer's and officers don't trust NCMs not to think for themselves. Just listen to the talk in your unit for a few weeks and you will hear a hundred such sentiments expressed.

If my subordinates don't feel comfortable coming to me over a sexual harassment issue,  the problem isn't the overly sexual culture in the CAF. The problem is that I have failed as a leader. I have failed to prove to them that I have their best interests at heart and that they can trust me to do right by them to the best of my abilities. Maybe the problem isn't the culture of the CAF but the fact that we keep promoting wastes of skin for reasons I have yet to fathom. On my more cynical days,  I feel that we get good leaders in the CAF in spite of our promotion system rather than because of it.

To sum up: Leadership, Leadership, Leadership.

Tcm621 said:
Does anyone think we have a culture of trust between the ranks in the CAF? I have had leaders I trust, as I am sure everyone else has, and I try to be one my subordinates can trust but overall I think we have a culture of distrust. Jnr ranks don't trust Snr NCOs, No one trust officer's and officers don't trust NCMs not to think for themselves. Just listen to the talk in your unit for a few weeks and you will hear a hundred such sentiments expressed.

That's a pretty uncomfortable truth in a lot of cases.  I've found the level of trust between subordinates and leaders (and back) is directly related to how career orientated the other person comes off as. In the case of NCMs and NCOs how emersed int he buds network they are too.

If my subordinates don't feel comfortable coming to me over a sexual harassment issue,  the problem isn't the overly sexual culture in the CAF. The problem is that I have failed as a leader. I have failed to prove to them that I have their best interests at heart and that they can trust me to do right by them to the best of my abilities.

I personally don't think the solve it at the lowest level mantra works for NCMs or even NCOs. Lower level hierarchies are usually pretty tight and the concern about people closing ranks when a problem arises is very real.  You as a leader might do a great job at proving you have their best interests at heart but if your next level of leadership doesn't then it's a lot less effective.

I think people misunderstand the "lowest level" sometimes. Sometimes the lowest level is the CO. But if it is something that can be handled by the WO or Sgt then let them handle it. However, even in the case where the CO will be the one solving it, your immediate supervisor should be your POC. I think much of the problems center around the feeling that there is no support for the victim. Having leaders you trust would go a long way to eliminate that problem. If you know that your boss will do whatever he or she can to solve the problem, you won't feel alone or helpless.

Tcm621 said:
I think people misunderstand the "lowest level" sometimes. Sometimes the lowest level is the CO. But if it is something that can be handled by the WO or Sgt then let them handle it. However, even in the case where the CO will be the one solving it, your immediate supervisor should be your POC. I think much of the problems center around the feeling that there is no support for the victim. Having leaders you trust would go a long way to eliminate that problem. If you know that your boss will do whatever he or she can to solve the problem, you won't feel alone or helpless.

"There is a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

Patton, War As I Knew It (1947); also quoted in Patton's One-Minute Messages: Tactical Leadership Skills for Business Management (1995) by Charles M. Province, p. 88

daftandbarmy said:
"There is a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

Patton, War As I Knew It (1947); also quoted in Patton's One-Minute Messages: Tactical Leadership Skills for Business Management (1995) by Charles M. Province, p. 88
It is one of those things all great leaders have but it is seen as the least important thing by the people who actually evaluate leaders. Some people even consider it a bad thing.

To give an example: probably the best CO I ever had. He was so well liked he received a spontaneous 3 minute ovation at his change of command. I had an issue with my son's health and at the same time my mother had a heart attack. We were on a 3 month deployment and the clerks were discussing whether I could get CTA to get home. The CO walked in and said,  "put it on my credit card and we will deal with it later".  Less than 48 hours later I was home. I will never forget that.  He drove us hard and drove his leadership even harder. But he knew all his people by sight if not name and you knew he was aware of what his crew was going through.

When people talk about leaders they would follow to hell and back it isn't because of their stunning situation briefs. It is because they know and trust that they will do the best job they can for  each person in their command.

Aug 16, 2016

Canadian soldier charged with sexual assault in Jamaica
http://www.680news.com/2016/08/16/canadian-soldier-charged-with-sexual-assault-in-jamaica/
A Canadian Forces corporal has been charged with sexual assault after an alleged incident involving another member of the military.

August 17, 2016

Cadet camp instructor at CFB Borden faces sex assault charges
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cadet-camp-instructor-at-cfb-borden-faces-sex-assault-charges-1.3032766
OTTAWA -- The Canadian Forces have charged a civilian instructor at a cadet camp over an alleged failure to disclose his HIV-positive status prior to having a sexual relationship with a member of the military.

Military authorities say they believe he may have had other sexual partners and are asking anyone who has concerns or information to come forward.

mariomike said:
August 17, 2016

Cadet camp instructor at CFB Borden faces sex assault charges
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cadet-camp-instructor-at-cfb-borden-faces-sex-assault-charges-1.3032766
OTTAWA -- The Canadian Forces have charged a civilian instructor at a cadet camp over an alleged failure to disclose his HIV-positive status prior to having a sexual relationship with a member of the military.

Military authorities say they believe he may have had other sexual partners and are asking anyone who has concerns or information to come forward.

Having worked at Blackdown one summer, I'm actually surprised this is the first article I've seen to come out of there...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/04/03/male-rape-in-the-military-being-confronted.html

Simply appalling. I know I may be behind on the times and I'm sure this is old knowledge but what the ****?!?!

What kind of sick idiot would do such a thing for "power" and "dominance"

Is this common place in the CF as it is in the American military? This article is enough to make one NOT want to join the CF.

Simply sickening. Like honestly? I am in the process of getting into the military and I WANT TO KNOW...is this common place amongst males? Any words from current members in the CF? Do you deal with this garbage?

I would presume that the incidence in the CF is much lower than in the US forces. We have a different service culture and reporting mechanisms. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but in almost 40 years of service I've yet to come across a case.

I have 31 years of service and have never personally run across a case. I'm sure that others' experiences may vary.

To the OP- Why would you just assume that the service culture in the CF is similar to the US? Even in saying that, you would have to assume that the article in question is accurate- accuracy I cannot assess one way or another.

It is not common at all, the incidence that I know of that can be considered sexual assault was the depositing of a cigar up the rear end of an unconscious subordinate by a Naval officer.  While minor in nature, there was penetration and thus sexual assault.

lol I have never been part of or seen male on male rape in 16 or 17 years in the service.  And I am in the Navy!  (Insert your rum, sodomy and the lash jokes here)

I question the validity of this article.  While its not a stretch to think this has and will happen in the US Military I would suspect its occurrence ratio is no more frequent than in general population.  Same with us.

Lightguns said:
It is not common at all, the incidence that I know of that can be considered sexual assault was the depositing of a cigar up the rear end of an unconscious subordinate by a Naval officer.  While minor in nature, there was penetration and thus sexual assault.

I'm not sure I would call that minor.  This also made headlines.

One thing you have to realize is the military is a snapshot of our population as a whole. Crimes that happen with the Civilian Population, can happen in the Military.

While my time has been short, I personally haven't seen anything that can be construed as Rape. But in Canada, rape is at one end of the spectrum of 'Sexual Assault'. That is really another debate.

But one thing is certain none of this is tolerated today in the military. In fact I would say you are even safer in the military from any form of sexual assault than in the public because of recent attention it has had in the media and the directives that had been implemented as a result.

One thing is certain though, don't think just because its the military, you are more or less likely to experience crimes. Overall if you look at stats, we usually are on par in the military as with the rest of Canada (with some slight variation).

Back