• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

seeking advice if it's worth to join with current situation

acidgambit

Inactive
Reaction score
21 years old. Single.
Graduated from BCIT in 2008 with Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Category 'M' diploma.
In 2009 hired and currently working for a major airline in Canada. Been in the industry for about almost an year now. Have about 1 more year to go until i can write my CARS.
Because the aviation industry is so unstable now and company is threatening to do layoffs it makes me want to change trades, but i really love working on airplanes (especially interested in military aircrafts.....F18, C130, C17 etc.) which makes me don't want to give up. I just love fixing it and get the airplane ready to fly....Line maintenance is my favourite.

I was thinking of signing up in january and hope that i qualify for AVN tech.
Anybody that had a similiar situation?
I just don't know if it's worth it.
If i do join, i'm planning to dedicate myself to the CF for at least 10 years. Then come back to civil and keep working on my AME license.
And i heard that basic signing is 5 years as an AVN tech anyways. Thank you guys for reading.  :christmas happy:

What's the question?

It's a decision you have to make. The CF is more than just a career, remember that. Working on aircraft is fun, and is a career, but the CF is more than that. If you're willing to sacrifice, work hard, and earn your take, with next to no thanks, the CF is for you.

If not, if you're just looking for a career replacement, than the CF is NOT for you.

There are many reasons for people joining the CF. Income is as valid as any other one, as we all need to eat.

And the CF is more than just sacrifice and hard work - you make it sound so gloomy.

Acidgambit: There's a ton of advice and accounts of people's experience here. Reading through older threads and using the Search Function will help you a lot.

Loachman said:
Acidgambit: There's a ton of advice and accounts of people's experience here. Reading through older threads and using the Search Function will help you a lot.
Agreed.  And try not posting the same thing in different sub-forums..

acidgambit said:
If i do join, i'm planning to dedicate myself to the CF for at least 10 years. Then come back to civil and keep working on my AME license.

10 years isn't much time to dedicate to the CF when nearly half of that time and possibly more will be spent on training you. Your credits will speed it up but after 10 years, you will be leaving with only a few years having maintenance authorizations and at a time when the CF will need you the most. I see this more as dedication to building up your own experience. Being in the CF is not just for fun. There are sacrifices to be made. Are you wiling to make any? I apologize for sounding sarcastic, but my 32 years dedicated to the CF  compells me to make that observation.

Now is it worth it for you to join?  That depends on your real personal agenda. The CF is an experience in itself. It's not only about work and qualifications.  It's also about the people who make your experience what it is. If you don't join, you'll never know what you will have missed. 

As for myself, it was worth it. I'd do it again if I could go back in time even if the CF would be what it is today.

Acidcambit, I would wait if I was you. At least finish your CARS exams. The time you spend working on mil aircraft does not count towards your hours for your CARS. In the airforce we do not use the CARS. we have our own system of air worthiness that is not recognized on civi street (yet). Get your CARS done, and then join if you are still interested. I am sure with your quals you would qualify for AVN and even be able to skip some  of the basic AVN course. You may even qualify for a signing bonus as joining as a skilled/semiskilled tech (check with a recruiter on this)

Cheers

I was in the exact same boat! But I was an avionics technician and not an M cat, just E. I joined for a stable job, and I've already done 4 years civi and 2 years college. Honestly it doesn't matter if you get your M catagory because it'll expire within the 2 years. I'm sure you already knew that. ::) Another reason I joined was, I was incredibly sick of finding contract after contract. The aviation industry is very unstable and most AMO's make borderline profit. My plans are to stay for the long haul. I'd love to be out in Comox :)

Back