• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Section Attacks+Refresher

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you humped the baseplate, or numerous rounds, etc., then you know how much of a relief it is not to have to.  :)

With the LAV's though, can they not be trundled along (they may be, I don't know) They add some umph to the situation and always appreciated having them working, just hated humping them.  ;D

GAP said:
If you humped the baseplate, or numerous rounds, etc., then you know how much of a relief it is not to have to.  :)
Well, having said that, I was in Mortar platoon for two years (I was OC MOR), so the only humping of that stuff I did personally was on my crash precourse prior to the advance course.  But, seeing a fire mission come in, just to support you, makes it all worth while, I suppose :D

GAP said:
With the LAV's though, can they not be trundled along (they may be, I don't know) They add some umph to the situation and always appreciated having them working, just hated humping them.  ;D
Don't, and I say again, DON'T dry hump the LAVs!  The "Molly" grease is for the LAV barrels, not for....well, you know what I mean ;D

Wow, my name is not a reference to rifleman as in "number one rifleman, alpha team, one group". My name is Rifleman Phil with a CAPITAL R. Blimey, Rifleman is the rank of "Private" in rifle regiments. I'm sure you've heard of them - The Queen's Own Rifles, the Brockville Rifles, the Royal Regina Rifles, and, last but not least, the Royal Winnipeg Rifles. We're a wierd but proud group of guys who march uber fast. A lot of smart remarks from guys who really should know better. I'm dissapointed. Hollywood Hitman, you may have been or are still a "rifleman". But unless I'm mistaken, you sure as hell are not a "Rifleman"
Cheers buddies

von Garvin said:
You are either an "Infantryman" (an NCM in the infantry corps) or an "Infantry Officer" (self-explanatory).  That is your trade.  Your specific job could be driver, Gunner, Machine Gunner, Crew Commander, Rifleman or any other myriad of specific jobs within the infantry, none of which has anything to do with mortars anymore (sadly.  Man, maybe I should drop this whole "mortar" thing?  I mean, it's been four years for me!!!)
So there's no such thing as infanteer? Jeez buddy, go pick a fight with this guy. http://forums.army.ca/forums/members/349.
Tell him that
And if there is no such term, then why in God's name do I hear it used on military bases ALL THE TIME?!? Oh man, are PROFESSIONALS using wrong terminology??? :O Heaven be helped.
I am proud to be a Canadian INFANTEER!  :cdn: :salute: :bullet:

RiflemanPhil.....

If you can't detect the sarcasm dripping off ALL of the posts in this particular topic, then thats your problem. I too am an INFANTEER, but no, no longer a rifleman. Maybe describe a little more in detail that you're a Rifleman in a Rifle Regiment. Makes more sense, however being in a non-rifle regiment, I have never seen the term Rifleman, used as a rank but rather as a position.

Rather than getting into a pissing contest about the semantics, I'll grant you, I am no Rifleman. I am however an Infanteer, but I've had no luck in finding it in the dictionary.

Miriam-Webster Online defines Infantry;

Main Entry: in·fan·try
Pronunciation: 'in-f&n-trE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -tries
Etymology: Middle French & Old Italian; Middle French infanterie, from Old Italian infanteria, from infante boy, foot soldier, from Latin infant-, infans
1 a : soldiers trained, armed, and equipped to fight on foot b : a branch of an army composed of these soldiers
2 : an infantry regiment or division 

Develop a sense of humour Son.

HollywoodHitman Out.

RiflemanPhil said:
So there's no such thing as infanteer? Jeez buddy, go pick a fight with this guy. http://forums.army.ca/forums/members/349.
Tell him that
And if there is no such term, then why in God's name do I hear it used on military bases ALL THE TIME?!? Oh man, are PROFESSIONALS using wrong terminology??? :O Heaven be helped.
I am proud to be a Canadian INFANTEER!  :cdn: :salute: :bullet:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/infanteer
"No entry found for infanteer."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/infantryman
"2 entries found for infantryman"

As I say to my 9 year old:" Ain't is not a word in proper English, though it may belong to a dialect or slang".  Same for "Infanteer".

Hollywood:
I have a sense of humour, "father". I can detect sarcasm; however I also have regimental pride. By the way, my father was a major in the SAS who I have not seen in 6 years, and I would appreciate you to not patronize me. I was merely pointing out that infanteer is an accepted and extremely well-used term. By the way, if you look it up, I NEVER even used the word infanteer in my first post. I was merely replying to someone. What in God's name do you mean by "describe in more detail that I'm a Rifleman in a Rifle Regiment". How much more detail can I go, do you want a bloody essay on Rifle regiments? Because I don't have the time to do that. Read a book, I'd suggest "Rifles" by Mark Urban. The problem with this website is people who stupidly jump on other people. These jumpers, however, do not completely understand the whole picture. In this case, they did not understand Rifle units. I'm  surprised, and shocked, that you, a Sergeant in a Reserve Infantry regiment would not know that Rifle regiments call their privates riflemen. By the way Hollywood, I certainly know what infantry is. I may be many things, but "stupid" is not one of them.
Von Garvin:
You commited a logical fallacy by jumping my point. I did not once state that infanteer would be found in a dictionary. You neglected to address my main point.

To both of you, do not take my above comments as disrespect for the rank or person at all. Please, however, show a slight degree of respect for others, even if they are a private (rifleman). I may be young, etc, but I'm sure there are things that I have to offer.
Sincerely,
Phil

Ok enough, leave the whole rifleman issue alone.

Yes its an appointment in Rifle regiments (NOT A RANK same as sapper, gunner, trooper, etc) but it is also a desination for 4 members of the infantry light section as our doctrine stands now.

Umm, sergeant, maybe its just me, but I think it is an actual rank. I have 4 members of rifles regiments around me right now, and they are all reading this and telling me that it is a rank. 2 of em are cpls and 1 is a mcpl. the other is a rfn. I think you may be wrong, but if you have evidence to prove it, please let me know.

RiflemanPhil said:
Umm, sergeant, maybe its just me, but I think it is an actual rank. I have 4 members of rifles regiments around me right now, and they are all reading this and telling me that it is a rank. 2 of em are cpls and 1 is a mcpl. the other is a rfn. I think you may be wrong, but if you have evidence to prove it, please let me know.
You asked for it, you got it:
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qr_o/vol1/ch003_e.asp#3.01

From that site:
NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS
12. Chief Warrant Officer
13. Master Warrant Officer
14. Warrant Officer
15. Sergeant
16. Corporal
17. Private

Note that Master Corporal is also not listed (it is an appointment), and neither is "Rifleman", "Trooper", "Bombardier", etc. 
Those terms are used more for tradition, I suppose.  Also note the following:
(3) Except in accordance with paragraph (2), no officer or non-commissioned member shall, after the coming into force of this article, use or be referred to by a designation of rank other than as set out in Column I of the Schedule to the National Defence Act.
Also, I note that "Infanteer" is not a part of the English Language, though its use may be acceptable more as "jargon", "dialect" or "slang".

RiflemanPhil said:

sorry rifleman is not an actual rank. It is a job title.

steve29 said:
sorry rifleman is not an actual rank. It is a job title.

Well, that's true, it is a job title, like machine-gunner, driver or sniper.  But it's also more than that...it's a term used by Rifle Regiments to designate their Privates.  In a similar manner, Armoured Regiments tend to use Trooper, Artillery uses Gunner, Guards Regiments sometimes use Guardsman, Highland Regiments sometimes use Highlander, Engineers use Sapper.  There may be a few more I'm forgetting.  However, these are not ranks, nor are they appointments, like MCpl.  They are terms used by these organizations to support tradition and to help foster a deeper sense of cohesion among their soldiers.

dglad said:
Well, that's true, it is a job title, like machine-gunner, driver or sniper.  But it's also more than that...it's a term used by Rifle Regiments to designate their Privates.  In a similar manner, Armoured Regiments tend to use Trooper, Artillery uses Gunner, Guards Regiments sometimes use Guardsman, Highland Regiments sometimes use Highlander, Engineers use Sapper.  There may be a few more I'm forgetting.  However, these are not ranks, nor are they appointments, like MCpl.  They are terms used by these organizations to support tradition and to help foster a deeper sense of cohesion among their soldiers.

Been 10 years in a rifle COY at 2 RCR. Never heard anyone calling Pte's rifleman, eg "Rifleman Bloggins get over here."  I know my CSM and RSM would have me for that. May be used in other regiments, not sure. I'll ask some PPCLI guys Monday and get back to ya. Not by any means trying to disrespect your opinion. It is just I've never heard anyone being addressed like that. :salute:

I suppose the line regiments had to use the term "rifleman" like all the cool kids.  ;)

OK, I am going to settle this.

Phil, read and beleive I know what I am talking about.

Von G listed the actual ranks of the CF (The navy I beleive are also official).

RIFLEMAN is an appointment when used in lieu of the rank Private in Rifle regiments. IT IS NOT A RANK. Simple. End story. I have worked with people from your regiment 10 years ago, I have worked with Brockville rifles, Queen's Own Rifles and the Regina Rifles. I know what I am talking about.

steve29 said:
Benn 10 years in a rifle COY at 2 RCR. Never heard anyone calling Pte's rifleman, eg "Rifleman Bloggins get over here."  I know my CSM and RSM would have me for that. May be used in other regiments, not sure. I'll ask some PPCLI guys Monday and get back to ya. Not by any means trying to disrespect your opinion. It is just I've never heard anyone being addressed like that. :salute:

You'll definately hear it in a reserve Rifle Regiment. In a nutshell, for those who aren't aware of the origin of the Rifle Regiment: Rifle Regiments were formed around the Napoleanic era to carry out recce and skirmishing roles. They were comprised of sharpshooters and given rifles instead of muskets used by line infantry. Riflemen often operated in teams of two and far apart enough that their commanders had to employ whistles and bugles to give orders on the battlefield. As opposed to the rigid, uniform discipline of the line infantry in combat, rifleman were encouraged to show more independence on the battlefield. Oh yeah, and they wore rifle green instead of red.

Hope that helps.

<sigh>

FACT: There is no such rank as a "rifleman" no matter what your local militia regiment calls Privates. Do you call the #1 on the mortar "Mortarman" instead of Corporal?, or the platoon Signaller by anything but his rank? Of course not.

Various posters have stated the CFs position on this, I fail to see why this is not locked yet.

Rifleman is a job, not a rank.

GO!!! said:
Various posters have stated the CFs position on this, I fail to see why this is not locked yet.
...........because I had to have dinner, and I wanted to see if it would straighten itself out. Guess not, goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back