• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sailors Can't find Parking Spaces

When I joined the Navy I too was surprised at the parking issue. However after closely looking at the situation, it makes sense how the Army & Air Force Bases/Stations don't normally have parking problems as they are located outside areas that have large populations and have enough land to provide parking. Headquarters (NDHQ/LFCA/LFAA to name a few) as well as the Navy's are located in the centre of major city centres, therefore land is at a premium and a parking problem exists.

I can not see DND spending a large amount of money to fabricate a new parkade for HQ's or the Navy's on either coast as is costs too much. I'd rather see money put into increasing/upgrading equipment and increasing personnel numbers within the CF.

As for reserved parking at Stad, the Pullen Building is open from midnight Sunday night through midnight Friday night as there is a lot of shift work ongoing, thus one of the reasons for reserved parking spots being reserved 24/7.

The ferry used to run from the dockyard to NAD and that permitted anyone to be able to park in Dartmouth and take the ferry across regardless of time in. That may be something to look into.

As for cars being broken into in the Dockyard, I find the best thing to do is ensure you have nothing visible within the car that may be of use to anyone else. Ensure everything is in the trunk or in the glove box. I know of people who will remove their MACPASS as well.

This is a topic that has been discussed for years and years at the parking pass committee in Halifax and I would anticipate that it will continue to be discussed for the next 10-20 years.

Navalsnipr said:
This is a topic that has been discussed for years and years at the parking pass committee in Halifax and I would anticipate that it will continue to be discussed for the next 10-20 years.

And I THINK we just found the problem.  A "parking pass what'?  Is that anything at all like any form of a military CoC?  Command decision??

;D

Well folks, all kinds of parking here in front of Wellington at night...just get here early cause there is no signs indicating parking restrictions that I have seen so far...

AND I only charge $5 a day!

Like Navalsniper said sailors have been wineing about parking for the last 50 years . There is 10 times more parking now then there was only 20 years ago when that huge lot outside the Halifax dockyard used to be a cn railyard. You ane better off than the general population who manage to comute to work every day  and don't have reserved parking. Maybe someone should look into a DND Link service like the one that connects Cole Harbour with downtown Halifax in 20 minutes in air conditioned comfort and runs every 15 minutes during rush hours and has plenty of free parking. There is plenty of empty space owned by DND in the Halifax area that could be used as a controlled access parking lot and have a shuttle bus run to a few spots on base. Like my old boss used to tell me " what do you need a parking space for, if the Navy had wanted you to have a car it would have issued you one"

Cheers.

Good idea about the the DND Link Stoney, would be nice. BTW did your boss have a car? :D

STONEY said:
Like Navalsniper said sailors have been wineing about parking for the last 50 years . There is 10 times more parking now then there was only 20 years ago when that huge lot outside the Halifax dockyard used to be a cn railyard. You ane better off than the general population who manage to comute to work every day  and don't have reserved parking. Maybe someone should look into a DND Link service like the one that connects Cole Harbour with downtown Halifax in 20 minutes in air conditioned comfort and runs every 15 minutes during rush hours and has plenty of free parking. There is plenty of empty space owned by DND in the Halifax area that could be used as a controlled access parking lot and have a shuttle bus run to a few spots on base. Like my old boss used to tell me " what do you need a parking space for, if the Navy had wanted you to have a car it would have issued you one"

Cheers.

Sounds like one of those "we had to walk to school when I was a kid, uphill and thru waist deep snow" stories.

Things being f$$ked up in the past is NOT a reason to accept them being f$$ked up now.

::)

They could have done better with the space of the old C & POs quarters space.  How about...a 4 level parkade?

duh

Mud Recce Man said:
And I THINK we just found the problem.  A "parking pass what'?  Is that anything at all like any form of a military CoC?  Command decision??

;D

Well folks, all kinds of parking here in front of Wellington at night...just get here early cause there is no signs indicating parking restrictions that I have seen so far...

AND I only charge $5 a day!

You're living in Wellington House now? May God have mercy on your soul!!
I first lived there in 1978 as an OCdt....it doesn't look like they've done anything in there since! INcluding getting rid of the vermin!!

And yeah you're right just cause things were bad twenty years ago doesn't mean we have to put up with it now....high time they fixed the Pariking problem.
And yes there is an almighty parking pass committee!

STONEY said:
Like Navalsniper said sailors have been wineing about parking for the last 50 years .
...and they are still ignored, but recruiting of sailors has become a problem. Coincidence? I think not.

There is 10 times more parking now then there was only 20 years ago when that huge lot outside the Halifax dockyard used to be a cn railyard.
Only 20 years ago?

You ane better off than the general population who manage to comute to work every day  and don't have reserved parking.
Spoken like a true lifer who has never had to work as a member of the "general population" without the assistance of a pension. To bring you back to the twenty first century, parking is a necessity for many soldiers, due to the poor public transportation on bases and the extreme hours that we work.
Like my old boss used to tell me " what do you need a parking space for, if the Navy had wanted you to have a car it would have issued you one"
"You joined the army, the army did'nt join you"
"If you don't like it, release"
"We were beaten for that when I was a Private"
Shall I add your quote to the list of the handlebar moustache wearing crowd's favorite sayings?

The military does not have recruiting and retention problems because of "big" things, like fear of being killed, hard work, etc. It has these problems due to a multitude of petty annoyances, like not enough parking, crappy postings, and people who (like you) dismiss their concerns.

To bring you back to the twenty first century, parking is a necessity for many soldiers, due to the poor public transportation on bases and the extreme hours that we work.

Spoken like someone who has never had to get a hold of anyone out there (Halifax) after 1600.  ;D ;D

Having spent 3 years in Shearwater I think I can throw that little jab in there... ;)

As for public transpo, having lived in quite a few places in my lifetime, Halifax is better than many.  At least they have one.

Strike said:
Spoken like someone who has never had to get a hold of anyone out there (Halifax) after 1600.   ;D ;D

Having spent 3 years in Shearwater I think I can throw that little jab in there... ;)

As for public transpo, having lived in quite a few places in my lifetime, Halifax is better than many.  At least they have one.

I think it;s about equity too though. This was the whole reason for the Post Differential Allowance, so that CF pers in one high cost region are not disadvantaged in their Quality of Life to people who are in low cost regions. Parking is another of those factors. When I was posted in Gagetown or Petawawa there was no trouble parking because the Bases are located in the middle of nowhere (apologies to those who are there). In Halifax, Stadacona and Dockyard, we are smack in the middle of the city.
As a Department Head "I'm alright Jack," I have my own space guaranteed but my staff have to search for up to half an hour when they come to a meeting, visit the (CS)OR or get their mail at S90 to find a place where they can park for more than an hour without getting towed away. Admittedly the Dockyard staff can walk...and they do most of the time. The folks from Shearwater and Windsor Park...not so much.
I agree that things cannot just be kept status quo because it was that way in "Dad's Army."
Maybe now that there is a little bit more money flowing our way we can look at adequate parking garages and some novel solutions. ;)

What is the deal with the parking passes anyhow?  Obviously certain high ranks have their own spots.  How exactly do the others get distributed?  Time in does not seem like a fair assessment.  Maybe there should be a lotto or something every year.  That way everyone who wants a spot actually has a chance of getting one.

Strike said:
What is the deal with the parking passes anyhow?  Obviously certain high ranks have their own spots.  How exactly do the others get distributed?  Time in does not seem like a fair assessment.  Maybe there should be a lotto or something every year.  That way everyone who wants a spot actually has a chance of getting one.

It goes by Time in and appointment. If you are a Department Head etc you probably have the TI also. I think you need 14 years in to get an alocated space in the Dockyard and something like 12 to get one at Stad.

I remember years ago when I was sailing out east, that the early crew (i.e. message centre dayman, early cook etc) got passes to use only while they were on early shift, to allow them to park right at the gates at dockyard.  Is this still in effect?  I knew a couple of sigs that always jumped at the chance to be early man just to be able to drive and park.

Back