• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sailors Can't find Parking Spaces

Strike said:
Devil's advocate here...

I can understand being all pent up about the lack of parking when the only way to get to work is to drive.  But Halifax, of all places, has a half decent transit system.  Sure, it might take longer to get to and from, but it's good enough for everyone else.  Now, if you have to get back and forth from Stad/Dockyard to Shearwater, fine, drive to work.  If it's only between Stad and the dockyard, get off your behind and walk.

Awaiting the returning volleys...

So its ok for every other base to have ample parking for its members but not Halifax?

Perhaps if Metro Transit ran every 10-15 minutes(like any other Transit system worth its salt) and not every 30 minutes (at best) to every 60 minutes (standard) I would be inclined to agree with you.

As of today, my husband is hoping to find other means of transportation other than the bus.

While standing at the bus stop just before the bridge on the Halifax side, he was shot with a bb gun 4 times by a vehicle with 3 20-25yr olds in it. One of them left a small welt on his stomach but what ticks him and I off most is that he had just got off work and was still in his uniform(salt and peppers) when this happened. Police were contacted and they tried to get the full plate of buddies truck from the bridge commission, but were unable to see the plate due to the angle of the camera. They are unable to move any farther in the investigation.

Maybe the base should start instituting some sort of car pool program with the benefit of being able to park on base if you have 3 or more CF members in your vehicle.

So its ok for every other base to have ample parking for its members but not Halifax?

NDHQ has the same problems, especially for those who work on the Hull side.  That's what happens when a base is located on prime real estate.

You've also got to look at when the dockyards were established -- WAY before the main mode of transportation was the automobile.

Maybe the base should start instituting some sort of car pool program with the benefit of being able to park on base if you have 3 or more CF members in your vehicle.

Dockyard already has something like that implemented for those that car pool.

Strike that is a given yet the public transit system here is not that great.

gravyboat said:
Just ride your bike to work like me. 

My husband used to ride his bike from Cole Harbour to Stad last year. 
He would be riding now if he was allowed.

My husband did tell me this morning on the drive into work that they do allow car pooler's to park in the parking lot of the fleet club and such, but priority is given to those with time in.

gravyboat said:
There is no time in rule at Fleeters, just a waiting list.

I didn't know that, gravyboat.
Thanks for the heads up...hubby is still in the search for a carpool.

Sub_Guy, the Irving story is from what I can gather true.  Irving did have the proviso of having a gas station on site.  However at this time in history DND had a larger CANEX organization in operation across the country then at present.  They did have gas stations, which as you pointed out were Shell brand pumps.  CANEX had a monopoly on selling to the mob at that time.  This was before bases were opened up to outside retailers like Tim Horton's, McDonald's etc.  They had to say no because of these reasons.  In today's climate of free trade so to speak they might be more receptive to such an offer.

True that!

My suggestion for those who are grabbing tissues while thinking of the parking situation, come on out to the best coast, where there is all kinds of parking available!!    >:D

Further to my last.  I also understand that they (those who wear the braid and make the BIG BIG decisions) kicked their collective asses afterwards for not taking Irving on their (in hind sight) generous in not self serving (NO PUN INTENDED....well in hind sight maybe) offer to ease future parking problems.

But really it is just that we are paying the OD's too much money so the buggers can afford to drive really nice cars and bikes etc, thus wanting to take up the parking spots of us old buggers who through our own fiscal mismanagement, ex-wives etc cannot afford the really nice goodies the young pups have.  And so we are really jealous....  (damn this was supposed to be my inside voice.......  >:D)

My eternally enterprising self now wonders;

Is there sufficient real estate in close proximity to the base on which a parking garage could be built?

How much would you pay (monthly) to use it?

Oh, and in Edmonton, we have more parking than you can shake a stick at, and most of it is electrified too!  :D

Why yes there is!

Irving had wanted to build a parking garage there before.....  But no, read thread....

Have a look at google earth, you can clearly see the parking lot outside dockyard...

But, I was told  ::) that the area that is used by Dockyard for parking isn't DND property that the town and DND sort of have an agreement (DND property line ends on that road, I forget the name, but runs between dockyard and the parking, so I have been told.....) going, that they will let DND use it....... In reality if thats true or not I don't really care, but still something should be done about the parking situation in Halifax.   

The street you are thinking of is Provo Wallis St.  The land is DND, the only part that is "no man's land" is the tiny bit of high ground above the Center Gate area which is now used by the junior members who cannot by means of TI obtain a parking permit for general parking.  This area is used at your own risk, and risk there is.  Some of the guys from my ship using this spot have had their vehicles broken into twice in the same month.  The dirtbags find it a happy hunting ground. 

I do have a legal parking pass and park in a safer area, but have also found myself ripped off.  I suppose it was bound to happen with the price of gas and all, but some SOB helped him/herself to a couple of Jerry cans worth while I was on board overnight for two days last month.

GO!!!, what Irving proposed was a multi level garage.  As Sub_Guy stated there is plenty of room, however I think with the costs that would be involved nowadays the idea would not be feasible or affordable just so some poor hairy bags could park their car.  Afterall there is plenty of parking inside the dockyard for the really high mucky mucks.....

Springroll said:
As of today, my husband is hoping to find other means of transportation other than the bus.

While standing at the bus stop just before the bridge on the Halifax side, he was shot with a bb gun 4 times by a vehicle with 3 20-25yr olds in it. One of them left a small welt on his stomach but what ticks him and I off most is that he had just got off work and was still in his uniform(salt and peppers) when this happened. Police were contacted and they tried to get the full plate of buddies truck from the bridge commission, but were unable to see the plate due to the angle of the camera. They are unable to move any farther in the investigation.

Man that really sucks. There is way too much of this anonymous vandalism and stupidity going on...everywhere and it is often done to innocent people standning waiting for a bus too.
Last year my house got paintballed all the way down the side...(my house is a corner lot)...broke some of my vinyl siding and there were a lot of balls went off near the furnace intake....nice eh? I figure it was punks driving by in a car. I put up a fence this year so it would take more effort than they can probably muster to deface the side of my house this year.
If it's any consolation Springroll....it's probably a one in million occurance...although I have heard of people being hit with stuff while crossing the bridge on the footpath as well.  ???

IN HOC SIGNO said:
If it's any consolation Springroll....it's probably a one in million occurance...although I have heard of people being hit with stuff while crossing the bridge on the footpath as well.  ???

We are hoping it was and that him being in his uniform was just an easier target.
Regardless, he now travels on the bus in civies and has his eyes peeled for the truck.

Not sure what the base is doing about it, but he was told to make an incident report and send it to the watch officer, Int officer and the PA office...so who knows what they will do about it.

.....great....I bus and walk the bridge almost everyday and now I have to worry about that kind of crap???  jeeez.

Sorry to hear about the drive-by...that kind of crap has a habit of happening close to the base on either coast.  Victoria is getting very bad because Esquimalt is the only area of town where lower income individuals can afford a place to live.  When Mommy or Daddy or both are stoned and their kids are bored, what is the first thing they do? Well, go vandalize some cars of course! The parking lots that are located outside the perimeter of the base have become havens for criminals.  Before I left the coast in 2005 for Ontario, there were a rash of break-ins during the weekend when the boys were on duty and they would park their cars for the night.  I got so fed up with it I began parking in the Lang Cove lot and walking the distance to the Dockyard.  It was a pain in the A$$, but my car survived.  The bottom line is that the crime around bases is a symptom of the poverty that exists in those locations.  It's just too bad that people have no respect anymore, especially for those of us who wear the uniform.

tasop_999 said:
  The bottom line is that the crime around bases is a symptom of the poverty that exists in those locations.  It's just too bad that people have no respect anymore, especially for those of us who wear the uniform.

Edmonton Police Services north side precinct is in a terrible part of town. Crack houses, hookers, needles on the street, the whole 9 yards. They surrounded their staff parking lot with a 12 foot chain link fence topped with triple barbed wire. You need a code to get in and out.

I know a few guys that work there, and they'v never had a problem with break - ins or vandalism...

I suppose this could be an opportunity for someone to apply the principle "Know your men and support their welfare" and build a fence!!

The only thing with barbed wire and such around the parking lots in both Halifax and Esquimalt is the aesthetics.  In Victoria especially people are very sensitive to new and strange sights that make their little paradise look too military.  I guess the big grey things floating in the water are really office buildings.  Anyways, I don't think there is an easy solution to the problem except to move the fence surrounding the base back to encompass the parking lots too.  Top it off with razor wire and see what happens when some bum tries to scale it and make a quick buck by breaking into cars.

tasop_999 said:
Anyways, I don't think there is an easy solution to the problem except to move the fence surrounding the base back to encompass the parking lots too.  Top it off with razor wire and see what happens when some bum tries to scale it and make a quick buck by breaking into cars.

Yeah until someone cuts themselves, then the media will jump all over it and before you know it he'll be the victim.

Parking in Esquimalt would be better if more took advantage of the blue boat from Colwood.. If you live in the PMQs you can walk or bike, or if you so desire you can park your car down by the dock, in a fairly secure area.

Back