• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sacrifice Medal Mega Thread

Which do you prefer

• Total voters
Wound stripe for wounds in non-combat operations, medal for wounds in combat operations.  Nothing like digging more worms out of the can!

fraserdw said:
Wound stripe for wounds in non-combat operations, medal for wounds in combat operations.  Nothing like digging more worms out of the can!

Your scenario may actually result in double recognition. Egads!!

IE, those earning the medal in your scenario (combat ops) ... would obviously have been involved in combat. Would they then have to take down the CAB -- a medal would make it obvious??

Worms crawling OUT of the can now.  :-X

eliminator said:
http://www.cdnabbrotherhood.ca/military-news/article-1333.html
we owe them more than an “atta-boy”, or a stripe on the sleeve which is meaningless especially when they arrive back in Canada and are told to remove the stripe from their uniform as some people were on the return from WWII.

Have recently wounded members been asked to remove their WS? 

I sure haven't... the CoC have been adamant about my having a wound stripe for every possible order of dress; DEU, Ceremonial Blues (both infantry and band) and even my WW2 reenactment BDUs.

Either way, interesting letter/post.

eliminator said:
Interesting that he says:

an initiative that I began on March 21, 2007 to have a Canadian medal struck for Canadian Forces personnel who are wounded while engaged in operations with an armed enemy force or forces or engaged in peacekeeping duties or post peacekeeping mine removal operations sanctioned by the Canadian Government.

when this thread started
«  on: September 21, 2006, 18:53:09 »
with this comment from a news article:
A small group of Canadian veterans, moved by the steady stream of casualties returning from the battlefields of Afghanistan, is urging the Conservative government to formally recognize wounded soldiers with a medal.
and was likely based on even older pre-existing discussions and news.

Interesting that they have chosen the colour "purple".  Why purple - other than the happenstance that our american brothers & sisters wound medal is the Purple heart?  Why not a "crimson"/ blood red?

The article brings up all of the points that have been brought up in the first 340 entries of this thread..... ho hum.

There are both pros and cons to having the "blighty medal"... let our masters decide on it.... but, for gods sake, make a decision

eliminator said:

Unfortunately, this prototype looks a little too much like the Iron Cross 2nd Class.

daftandbarmy said:
Unfortunately, this prototype looks a little too much like the Iron Cross 2nd Class.
That prototype is ugly.  Having to wear that would be extra incentive not to get hit!

Is it a "prototype" (i.e., an officially created design), or is it just one guy's suggestion?

Funny...  In doing some web-snooping about "the Order of the Purple Cross" (which was the suggested name in the last posted article), I came across this Article.

The Order of the Purple Cross of York, the highest honor of the College, is conferred upon those members of the College who have distinguished themselves by their service to humanity or to the Rite, The recipients are designated Associate Regents of the Sovereign College, and from their ranks are chosen the Regents or active members of that body..

opcy.gif

It appears that "the Order of the Purple Cross" is already a Masonic Decoration, as I have found reference to this order on several Masonic web pages; reference goolge search

May not be a good idea to mess with the Free-Masons...  ;)

Either way, I thought this thing was supposed to be a "Crimson Maple Leaf"?

Maple Leaf, Purple Cross... I'm going to have to agree with Geo on this;
geo said:
let our masters decide on it.... but, for gods sake, make a decision

Hmmm... did a bit of looking.
Cdn Cross of Valour is crimson (looks nice though)

Suggested purple cross looks a little bit like the Brit Military Cross (looks nice though)

I've seen the official proposal for this medal.  It most certainly does not look like that cross, nor was it designed, inspired, thought up or in any other way connected with some guy on the internet.

Let's get back to reality here folks.  Medals are designed with established heraldry in mind.  This country has a heraldry office (part of the GG's bailiwick) as well as DND Directorates of History and Heritage and the Directorate of Honours and Awards. Now who do you think would design medals for the Canadian Honours System?

Think about it...

I now return you to the rampant vacuous speculation already in progress.  :boring:

Reccesoldier said:
I've seen the official proposal for this medal.  It most certainly does not look like that cross, nor was it designed, inspired, thought up or in any other way connected with some guy on the internet.

Let's get back to reality here folks.  Medals are designed with established heraldry in mind.  This country has a heraldry office (part of the GG's bailiwick) as well as DND Directorates of History and Heritage and the Directorate of Honours and Awards. Now who do you think would design medals for the Canadian Honours System?

Think about it...

I now return you to the rampant vacuous speculation already in progress.  :boring:

So what you are saying is that my suggestion was not even looked at then?

dileas

tess

main.php

The free masons again!

That would make a cool coin for members or army.ca to buy and support the website.

geo said:
Hmmm... did a bit of looking.
Cdn Cross of Valour is crimson (looks nice though)

I'm sure you understand my earlier post now then.  ;)

Back