• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sacrifice Medal Mega Thread

Which do you prefer

• Total voters
Jammer said:
My own two cents...
I think the decoration is overdue. True enough about OSIs...but that is for another time.
Wear it with pride and rememberance. You earned it...and paid for it.

Thats why I have a wound stripe and I do, I didn't nor do I want this medal. I think it's a waste and removes the history attached to the wound stripe.

BulletMagnet said:
Thats why I have a wound stripe and I do, I didn't nor do I want this medal. I think it's a waste and removes the history attached to the wound stripe.

Interesting point.  Are Dress Regs going to be amended to reflect the wearing of the medal, vis the Wound Stripe; or will the Wound Stripe be still worn?  Will the medal cover a wide range of categories, while the Wound Stripe would still be representative of physical wounds?

I'm pretty sure you don't have to wear awards your given.  At least I couldn't find anything saying you had to in CFAO, DAOD, or QR&O texts.  It does say you can't wear ones you haven't been presented, but not that you had to wear those you were.

BulletMagnet said:

I will trade you my wound stripe, for your medal, and a Wendal Clarke Hockey card.

dileas

tess

Harris said:
I'm pretty sure you don't have to wear awards your given.  At least I couldn't find anything saying you had to in CFAO, DAOD, or QR&O texts.  It does say you can't wear ones you haven't been presented, but not that you had to wear those you were.

Uhm,

Would that go along the lines of refusing to wear any other type of issued kit?

I think you have to wear all medals issued to you,

Don't know the exact QRO on it, give me some time.

dileas

tess

All yours Tess :D

I am very happy with my wound stripe (not that I ever wanted to get one) The history linking me to those who have been wounded as far back as the Boer war means something to me.

BulletMagnet said:
All yours Tess :D

I am very happy with my wound stripe (not that I ever wanted to get one) The history linking me to those who have been wounded as far back as the Boer war means something to me.

I hear you brother,

However, I heard a rumour that the chocolate that you find when you peal the foil off of this medal is Vanilla flavoured with Screech rum.  Hence why I want one :)

dileas

tess

Headline

Canadian Forces Members refuse "Sacrifice" Medal
or
Soldiers will refuse to wear new Sacrifice Medal
or
Soldiers sacrifice ... sacrifice medal.

Is there a way to view a listing of those of us that have been awarded the wound stripe?

I can't seem to find it with googlefu.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Is there a way to view a listing of those of us that have been awarded the wound stripe?

dileas

tess

Those records should be kept at DHH.  I am not sure under what "Classification" that list would be, which may make it difficult to release to the Public.

the 48th regulator said:

dileas

tess

You know, that's something I've never seen while roaming around the internet. I'm not sure that all members who've been awarded it would want their names out there for public consumption though; not in this day and age where the media swarms for stories and doesn't quite come off as always getting the context correct.

I'm actually hoping that there isn't such a listing in existance which is publicly available, and that there's no plans for one; let those who've been injured in service to their country decide whether they want to share their names, and possibly their stories. And, if not ... let them keep it private if they so choose - they earned it.

Vern

There would have to be a List.  There would be a List for all Awards, not only for the Historical Records, but to verify against any claims of loss medals or awards.

The question would be what Classification may put on those Lists.  If it were UNCLASSIFIED then there would be no problem.  If it were Protected B or higher, then there would be a problem.

Individuals will have their info in PeopleSoft and on their MPRRs.  Those not Serving would have to rely on the "Freedom of Information Act".

George Wallace said:
Vern

There would have to be a List.  There would be a List for all Awards, not only for the Historical Records, but to verify against any claims of loss medals or awards.

The question would be what Classification may put on those Lists.  If it were UNCLASSIFIED then there would be no problem.  If it were Protected B or higher, then there would be a problem.

Individuals will have their info in PeopleSoft and on their MPRRs.  Those not Serving would have to rely on the "Freedom of Information Act".

I absolutely agree - my post is about a list which is available "for public consumption". There's always lists held of honours and awards etc for verification purposes ... and I've had a few occasions where I was requested to pull clothing files or run histories to determine if an issue (ie award) was made to certain individuals. I'm happy to report that the answer was "yes" every time.

Actually, much like the Commander in Chief's Commendation which is issued to a member's clothing docs when they are so awarded - a stock number history on the supply system would result in a listing history of all "accounts" (ie service numbers) it was "issued" to. <--- only since 2001 though when the CFSSU came online - prior to that date - a history would have to be run through the CFSS Web Query tool on the item's NSN --- and only old dinosaurs like me know what UACAA/UACBA/AS5DA etc mean. 

It would be somewhat common sense (not that there is much out there) to have some sort of Medical Officer concurance on the recommendation of said medal. After all, it is the medical system who would say if you were injured or worse somewhere along the way.

Prairie Dog said:
It would be somewhat common sense (not that there is much out there) to have some sort of Medical Officer concurance on the recommendation of said medal. After all, it is the medical system who would say if you were injured or worse somewhere along the way.

I am sure that is how the process will be initiated.  That, however, will be individual documents on each individual's files.  Any list will be maintained at DHH.  Medical Records would not compile such a list.

Prairie Dog said:

That seems to be the case -

From the DHH Website

ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA

The Medal may be awarded to members of the Canadian Forces, members of an allied force working as an integral part of the Canadian Forces such as exchange personnel, civilian employees of the Government of Canada or Canadian citizens under contract with the Government of Canada, on the condition that they were deployed as part of a military mission under the authority of the Canadian Forces, that have, on or after October 7, 2001, died or been wounded under honourable circumstances as a direct result of a hostile or perceived hostile action on the condition that the wounds that were sustained required treatment by a physician and the treatment has been documented.Eligible cases include but are not limited to:

death or wounds due to a terrorist attack, mine or bomb disposal duty, direct or indirect fire, rescue duty, collision of an aircraft, vehicle or vessel, on the condition that the occurrence is directly related to a hostile action;
death or wounds as a direct result of friendly fire aimed at a hostile force or what is or was thought to be a hostile force;
wounds that require not less than seven days of treatment in hospital, or an equivalent course of treatment, and that were caused by:
exposure to the elements as a consequence of an aircraft, vehicle or vessel being destroyed or disabled by a hostile action,
harsh treatment or neglect while a captive of a hostile force, or
use of nuclear, biological or chemical agents by a hostile force;
death caused by:
exposure to the elements as a consequence of an aircraft, vehicle or vessel being destroyed or disabled by a hostile action,
harsh treatment or neglect while a captive of a hostile force, or
use of nuclear, biological or chemical agents by a hostile force; or
mental disorders that are, based on a review by a qualified mental health care practitioner, directly attributable to a hostile or perceived hostile action.
Ineligible cases include but are not limited to:

death or wounds due to exposure to the elements other than listed above, or caused by acts of God;
death or wounds caused by an accident arising from their employment in a theatre of operations but were not directly attributable to a hostile action;
death or wounds caused by disease; or
death or wounds that were self-inflicted or caused by the victim's negligence.
For more details, see these examples.

IMHO I think the medal is a good idea. I also understand those that wish to retain the wound stripe.

By having a medal, retired members now have the option to display the recognition for having been wounded when they attend Rememberance Day Services, ANZAC Day, Funerals etc.....
I see the concern for those that may not wish to be presented with a medal for situations they would rather try to forget, however, the Govenor Generals website mentions that it needs to be applied for through the unit Chain of Command. Those not wanting the medal simply need not apply for it. If a member is put forward for the medal by a member of his/ her unit without knowledge then I really don't think the hierarchy would demand it be worn (least I hope not)....

ArmyVern said:
You know, that's something I've never seen while roaming around the internet. I'm not sure that all members who've been awarded it would want their names out there for public consumption though; not in this day and age where the media swarms for stories and doesn't quite come off as always getting the context correct.

I'm actually hoping that there isn't such a listing in existance which is publicly available, and that there's no plans for one; let those who've been injured in service to their country decide whether they want to share their names, and possibly their stories. And, if not ... let them keep it private if they so choose - they earned it.

As being one that was awarded the wounded stripe, I hope that this is recorded.

I, as others, have sacrificed and lived, and this should be a record to show Canadians the sacrifice we have made.

Being wounded Vern, should not be something to be embarrassed about.  I am proud to let people know that I have offered my life, was injured in doing so, so tha Canadians can live free.

dileas

tess

Ineligible cases include but are not limited to:

death or wounds due to exposure to the elements other than listed above, or caused by acts of God;
death or wounds caused by an accident arising from their employment in a theatre of operations but were not directly attributable to a hostile action;
death or wounds caused by disease; or
death or wounds that were self-inflicted or caused by the victim's negligence.
For more details, see these examples.

I consider anyone who willingly joins the forces and then ends up losing thier life regardless of the circumstances should be eligible for this medal, after all it's called the "sacrifice medal" paying the ultimate price for ones country and kin and then being shunned to a technicality is a bit lame. Obviously the line about self inflicted would be considered an act of cowardis or negligence and thus apply as intended, the rest i don't see as a reason to NOT award someone a "sacrifice medal".

Cheers.

Back