• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sacrifice Medal Mega Thread

Which do you prefer

• Total voters

military granny

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/story.html?id=c46ef2f9-03dc-4a40-847f-6b68be1cef3c&k=26029

OTTAWA (CP) - A small group of Canadian veterans, moved by the steady stream of casualties returning from the battlefields of Afghanistan, is urging the Conservative government to formally recognize wounded soldiers with a medal.

Every time a Canadian is injured - physically or mentally - by hostile fire they are eligible for a wound stripe, which is a piece of gold braid sewn on to dress uniforms.

It is what the military calls a "dress distinction" and is not considered a decoration - which a handful of veterans want to see changed to something similar to the Purple Heart awarded to U.S. service members.

"I think we should appreciate everyone who goes over there and stands in harm's way," said Murray Sinnott, an ex-soldier and retired city police officer from Windsor, Ont.

more on link

oh.. isn't that a can of worms.

Sure, physical injuries are easy to spot.
Mental injuries.... very hard to determine PLUS who would want
to wear a medal they received for having PTSD.  Who wants that
reminder on their chest or would want to admit they had PTSD in
fear of others thinking they were weak?

A can of worms my friend.

Trinity said:
oh.. isn't that a can of worms.

Sure, physical injuries are easy to spot.
Mental injuries.... very hard to determine PLUS who would want
to wear a medal they received for having PTSD.  Who wants that
reminder on their chest or would want to admit they had PTSD in
fear of others thinking they were weak?

A can of worms my friend.

Uhm,

Is it awarded this way to the Americans?

I mean do their troops get it for PTSD?  Be interesting to know, as we could base it on thier criteria.

dileas

tess

I can honestly say I like the distinction of my wound stripe.
It's quiet and undersated, but speaks loudly to those who matter most my fellow soldiers. I have no need to broadcast my past to random civilians on a parade, or anyone who see's me in DEU's.

I appreciate the sentiment but the wound stripe is just fine.

I believe its wounds received from the enemy.

I shall now go and VERIFY to ensure i have the correct info.

I don't agree with idea of issuing to soldiers mental trauma due to the stigma as well
as other possible issues with it. But, I'm still fairly fresh on this debate.. who knows!?!

edit 

The Purple Heart

A. Established by General George Washington -- known as the "Badge of Military Merit"-- on August 7, 1782. Revived as the Purple Heart in 1932 by General Douglas MacArthur (War Department General Orders No. 3, as amended (reference (ttt)) and Navy authority is Executive Order 9277 (reference )). b. Awarded to any member of the Armed Forces of the United States or any civilian national of the United States who, while serving under competent authority in any capacity with one of the U.S. Armed Forces, after April 5, 1917, has been wounded, killed, or who has died or may hereafter die of wounds received under any of the following circumstances:

(1) In action against an enemy of the United States.
(2) In action with an opposing armed force of a foreign country in which the Armed Forces of the United States are or have been engaged.
(3) While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.
(4) As a result of an act of any such enemy of opposing armed forces.
(5) As the result of an act of any hostile foreign force.
(6) After March 28, 1973, as a result of an international terrorist attack against the United States or a foreign nation friendly to the United States.
(7) After March 28, 1973, as a result of military operations while serving outside the territory of the United States as part of a peacekeeping force.
(8) A Service member who is killed or wounded in action as the result of action by friendly weapon fue while directly engaged in armed conflict, other than as a result of an act of an enemy of the U. S., unless (in the case of a wound) the wound is the result of willful misconduct of the member under Section 1129, title 10, U.S.C. (reference (uuu)).
(9) Before April 25, 1962, while held as a prisoner of war (or while being taken captive) in the same manner as a former prisoner of war who is wounded on or after that date while held as a prisoner of war (or while being taken captive under Section 521, DoD Authorization Act for 1996 (reference (vvv)).

HitorMiss said:
I can honestly say I like the distinction of my wound stripe.
It's quiet and undersated, but speaks loudly to those who matter most my fellow soldiers. I have no need to broadcast my past to random civilians on a parade, or anyone who see's me in DEU's.

I appreciate the sentiment but the wound stripe is just fine.

The soldier has the choice to or not to put on the wound stripe.  If a soldier was issued
a medal, it would be a requirement.  If the guidelines do state mental trauma is a reason
and the soldier doesn't want to disclose his medical (mental or physical injury) and we
force them to wear a medal..... not a happy situation.

Padre you are correct, the Purple Heart is awarded to soldiers wounded in combat and is also awarded to soldiers killed in action.

Definitely something that must be looked at closely.  I mean their hearts are in the right place, but we must closely look at the method of awarding.  Maybe the moving of the stripe to a position and status of a medal.

Unfortunately, although I am a huge defender of the soldier that suffers OSI, I do not believe it deserves a medal of recognition.  Recognition of treatment is what is needed.

dileas

tess

Another attempt to introduce a US tradition when we have a perfectly valid one of our own - a pet peeve of mine, I must admit.  HoM has it exactly right, IMHO...

However,

Be advised that the current criteria for the wounded stripe does include OSI.

i. Operational stress injuries may qualify for a wound stripe if treatment of not less than one week in hospital (or equivalent) is the direct result of a traumatic incident caused by hostile forces in a combat zone.

So it does open a can if one is forced to wear it.

dileas

tess

Meh,

Mine are in the drawer of my desk.

People can see the actual marks Ii am proud of wearing....if I get a short haircut that is.

dileas

tess

+1 Tess, only thiose there were tger or have been through it will really ever understand.

I wore mine proudly on my DEU until I released for those wounds and threw them out with my DEU jacket. That I now regret.

I have to agree with Teddy....that's twice now that I agree with the bear, stop the insanity! But he is right we are becoming to Americanized. HitorMiss is also right we don't need to prove anything to the parade paparazzi.

I do wish though that they brought back the lapel pin for those of us that are out of uniform.
On the PTSD issue it is touchy but IMHO I dont think we ned to issue one for that.

S_Baker said:
  I am not sure what that really means, but the U.S. military is not the only one that gives out recognition (whether a medal, wound stripe, or a pin my grandfather received for king and empire).  Seems to me that the CDN military needs to be progressive and adapt some of their traditions,
We do give out a wound stripe.  Why do we need to turn it in for a wound medal?

MCG said:
We do give out a wound stripe.  Why do we need to turn it in for a wound medal?

Yes we do, and perhaps some Vets are wanting to prove it by wearing a medal on their blazers or shirts at all those Veteran's functions.......not having a Tunic any longer.

I find it curious how we have been hearing nothing from the Press except condemnation of how we are following the Americans in everything; Foreign Policy, Military Actions, Commerce, etc........and now they are proposing that we adopt an American style medal to signify being wounded in action.......what side of the fence are they on?

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Another attempt to introduce a US tradition when we have a perfectly valid one of our own - a pet peeve of mine, I must admit.  HoM has it exactly right, IMHO...

+1

The wound stripe has a tradition spanning almost 100 years and 4 Canadian wars (and countless other campaigns).  Why would we get rid of it?

Now to bring back the service chevrons and perhaps some gorget patches for Teddy Ruxpin.... :)

Back