• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sacrifice Medal Mega Thread

Which do you prefer

• Total voters
As per your request Granny      ;)

I wanted to add a couple of points I haven't seen made already.

First, the wound stripe is far more flexible than a medal would be.

You have to wear your medals.  You choose to wear a wound stripe.  Can you imagine someone with PTSD awarded a medal and being forced to wear it?  Or someone who had their private parts taken out?  Right now, they would be awarded a wound stripe with the option of a private or public ceremony, and the option of wearing it or not.

And you can wear the wound stripe on civilian clothing - once you've been granted the dress distinction, you can wear it on a shirt sleeve to a pub if you wish.  Can't do that with a medal.

Second, if you're looking for a concise summary, with links to resources on the topic, I put up a post over at The Torch a few months back that covers things reasonably well: http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/03/wound-stripe.html

Not that my opinion should count for much, but I don't see anything wrong with our current tradition.  It puts choice back in the hands of the wounded soldier.

Babbling Brooks said:
And you can wear the wound stripe on civilian clothing - once you've been granted the dress distinction, you can wear it on a shirt sleeve to a pub if you wish.  Can't do that with a medal.

You can wear medals on civvilian dress, such as a suit actually.

dileas

tess

IN my opinion, I think they should leave things the way there are. We need no more de-Canadianising of the CF. Our customs and traditions should always remain tightly guarded and close to the heart.

Regards,

Wes

You can wear medals on civvilian dress, such as a suit actually.

dileas

tess

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  What I was getting at was that you can wear a wound stripe in situations where you don't want to wear a bank of decorations on your chest, or where wearing those decorations would be considered inappropriate (ie. situations where medals or even ribbons weren't being worn).

If you are in a situation where you would be wearing a wound stripe, then you better well be wearing your medals.

I do not wear my wound stripe, as we adopt one that must be sewn on, which is not what I would like to do with my suit.  That is my reasoning.

I like the idea of an award such as a medal, hell if they went thorught the effort to award me something, then I might as well wear it.

dileas

tess

I like my wound strip for the reason's I stated earlier.

And when I retire I'll pull it off my DEU's and frame it next to some of the metal they pulled out of me, with a little plaque that says "DUCK"

HitorMiss said:
And when I retire I'll pull it of my DEU'sand frame it next to some of the metal they pulled out of me, with a little plaque that says "DUCK"

As opposed to the other UCK word you said when you got hit?!?!?!

You mean tne one that start's with an F?

or the one that starts with L? as in " Those UCKY SOB's"

HitorMiss said:
I like my wound strip for the reason's I stated earlier.

And when I retire I'll pull it of my DEU'sand frame it next to some of the metal they pulled out of me, with a little plaque that says "DUCK"

Hmmm,

I like that Idea.

See your not jsut a pretty face after all.

I was going to doa shadow box, of items.

dileas

tess

Wound stripe or medal, an arguement for either can be made, certainly nothing wrong with the stripe as it is now, nor would a medal be out of order

I dont see how an arguement of 'it's too American, or de-Canadianized' are in keeping with todays modern army, reforms are needed, outside influence is needed, or we run the risk of becoming stale and left behind, and relegated to the hated 'peacekeeping' word,

the Taliban sure know who we are, our allies know who we are, Canadians know it as well, Im sure a stripe or a medal isnt going to change that

boondocksaint said:
Wound stripe or medal, an arguement for either can be made, certainly nothing wrong with the stripe as it is now, nor would a medal be out of order

I dont see how an arguement of 'it's too American, or de-Canadianized' are in keeping with todays modern army, reforms are needed, outside influence is needed, or we run the risk of becoming stale and left behind, and relegated to the hated 'peacekeeping' word,

Sorry for being a bit harsh, but your words drew up some emotion.

Reforms? Outside influence? Run risks of being left behind? Becoming stale? Today's modern army? I disagree. I am almost insulted at your remarks.
Wes

If you are in a situation where you would be wearing a wound stripe, then you better well be wearing your medals.

No offence intended, but that's where the wound stripe has an advantage.  It's up to the recipient to determine where and when he or she wants to wear it - separate from the rest of one's decorations.

The fact that you've chosen not to wear it, which should be respected, is an example of that advantage as well.

Babbling Brooks said:
No offence intended, but that's where the wound stripe has an advantage.  It's up to the recipient to determine where and when he or she wants to wear it - separate from the rest of one's decorations.

The fact that you've chosen not to wear it, which should be respected, is an example of that advantage as well.

That is true.  But I was one of the few that voted for  medal....so  I am biased yet agree with your posts.

dileas

tess

Hopefully not hijacking thread

Im not sure which part of my post was insulting ( WES ), certainly was not its intent, some clarity perhaps;

-we are among the best equiped and best trained militaries in the world- and up until VERY recently, under-employed- our tactics grew stale, we didnt know how to employ our LAV's on the new battlefield in training and often our tactics were our own ( left up to our discretion)-NOT doctrinal and certainly not some form of 'tradition'
-we also benifited greatly by having visits during our training by various Americans currently deployed and picking their brains on what works and doesnt work

Did that make us less Canadian? obviously not. Did we learn valuable lessons from them and incorporate them into our own ideas- yes, we'd be fools not to listen to soldiers who've aquired vastly more experience then we have- and by making these things Canadian, they became better ( we felt anyway )

You ( WES ) mentioned strong emotions being evoked, as are mine everytime I see/hear/read a slight or jab or a lightly flavored "American" comment, a case can be made for a medal or a stripe, using 'Americanization' as an arguement always bothers me, and that was the  reason for my response

Hopefully no further insult is taken, it certainly isnt what Im going for here- I generally get flamed for my ideas surrounding most things 'American'- Im taking medication for it

;D me too, medication that is!...........but i agree with BDS. I was reading another thread on the term "Sandbox" which everyone loves and its American, thats where i first heard it, anyways we tend to adopt American ideas on certain things, but then cut down on other. Yes the wound stripe is fine, but hey if they wanna give a medal too, why not, but don't hate it because its " an American thing". Thats all time to take my pills!

The wound stripe is in keeping with Canada's British military heritage. In fact the US awarded the wound chevron between 1918-32, at which time the Purple Heart was created.

WoundChev.jpg

Babbling Brooks said:
the 48th regulator said:
If you are in a situation where you would be wearing a wound stripe, then you better well be wearing your medals....

I'd like to single out the "optional" line of reasoning (while others cover the American one) - if Canada were to create a medal to be awarded to those wounded then wouldn't Canada be able to state that the wearing of the medal was optional?

If you're suggesting that there is a Canadian regulation preventing any medal from being optional then couldn't Canada modify that regulation for this proposed one?

And couldn't the "wear it whenever advantage" be applied to everything (all badges no medals)? I see it the opposite way - the medals format keeps these items in their proper place and at the proper times.

Using stripes or chevrons to indicate Service Time or Wounded Service were cost effective measures that suited the British uniforms of the day. Keep in mind that medals, other than the VC and Campaign medals, for Other Ranks (NCMs) and junior officers were just being thought out.

Back