• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russia's Mistral class LHDs: updates

We would have trouble manning it, no question.  We're in trouble.

jollyjacktar said:

Actually the base crew size is less than the Tribal Class. I suspect a new ship with lot's of room to run around in would make crewing a bit easier.

Seriously, Colin, we're in deep shit manning wise right now.  As much as I would love to see a couple Amphibs in the fleet, we can't man what we have now nevermind what is coming down the pipe.

Or maybe it is why you will have to make do with fewer sailors in each hull....

Chris Pook said:

Or just maybe, it's a good reason for the government to abandon the stupid idea it has that they can attract recruits by hiding six seconds of "navy" advertisement in bits and pieces in every recruiting ad.

Maybe, just maybe it's time for the CF to start having targeted advertisement of recruiting so that people know we have a Navy and you can join it because it's hiring, instead of those stupid general purpose ones where no specific task or element gets enough exposure to get any one's attention.

And maybe, just maybe it's time for the Navy to get people from off the street all the way to trained seamen without any interference from the firkin' recruiting system and basic training system.

Look at the goddamned unemployment figures for youth in canada: We should have no problem filing our ranks.

:threat: :threat: :threat: :threat: :threat:

Technological advances will of course enable future fleets to be manned with less personnel for normal day to day things.  It doesn't satisfactorily answer in my mind what they'll be able to do in an emergency or during action stations to fight the ship and keep her alive once seriously damaged.  What Zumwalt is able to accomplish is fantastic, but too expensive for our wallets and it would appear the USN to make it common place in their fleets.

The shake up that is presently about to commence with the Marine System Engineering trades is going to correct some deficiencies and create others.  Will it correct shortages in the long term???  I am not hopeful, but do honestly wish I am wrong.

Chris Pook said:

If I were a betting man - both, as has happened in every other navy.

jollyjacktar said:
Seriously, Colin, we're in deep shit manning wise right now.  As much as I would love to see a couple Amphibs in the fleet, we can't man what we have now nevermind what is coming down the pipe.
Tying that and the recruiting comments together - might X shiny new ships be something worth anchoring a recruiting campaign around?

As to current manning issues - is it a recruiting problem, or a training/retention issue that's affecting seagoing manning?

It would seem we created a system that is not funded to operate as designed and is incapable of achieving the required demand, mainly as there is a zero risk approach, going by what I have read here.

jollyjacktar said:

Not only that, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if Canada had bought these ships wouldn't that require the whole replacement of their electrical network, because I'm pretty sure the the Russian's don't use the 110v system we use here in North America?

Yes, to "Canadianize" these vessels it would be very costly as well.

quadrapiper said:
As to current manning issues - is it a recruiting problem, or a training/retention issue that's affecting seagoing manning?

Yes and yes.

Retired AF Guy said:
Not only that, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if Canada had bought these ships wouldn't that require the whole replacement of their electrical network, because I'm pretty sure the the Russian's don't use the 110v system we use here in North America?

Depends on the wiring you are stepping down from 220-240 to 110. If the wiring is adequate then some transformers would need to be replaced and outlets. The wiring could remain. Apparently Russians have different ideas on grounds, but these are French built ships, so likely they are modeled on French practices.

The standard domestic electricity supply in France is single phase 230 volts, 50Hz. It is also common to find a 3–phase 380v distributed supply in larger properties.  https://www.frenchentree.com/living-in-france/utilities/french-electrical-systems/

jollyjacktar said:
Yes and yes.
Wonderful. On the training end - assuming this is a Fleet School billets issue, rather than Basic or time at sea?

How much of what's done now on either coast could be conducted at sea?

Back