• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russian vets of Afghan war pity Canada

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Russian vets of Afghan war pity Canada
Red Army finally abandoned fight, 'it is impossible to win there'
Sat Oct 28 2006 By Matthew Fisher
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscriber/world/story/3751713p-4337348c.html

MOSCOW -- Senior Sgt. Sergei Kirjushin spent the most intense 18 months of his life in Afghanistan in the late 1980s with an elite Red Army airborne regiment that sometimes fought Islamic holy warriors at such close quarters he could "feel their breath."
Like a surprisingly large number of the former Soviet Union's 620,000 Afghan war vets, the burly ex-paratrooper is aware the Canadian army is now fighting some of the very same mujahideen and their progeny for control of the same unforgiving, arid landscape.

Kirjushin's convinced nothing good will come of Canada's war in Afghanistan.

"It is really impossible to win there. No positive result can be expected," Kirjushin, whose shaved head gives him a ferocious look, said during a long, often grim conversation at the Afghan War Veterans Association in the centre of the Russian capital.

"As every nation that goes to fight in Afghanistan discovers, nobody has ever conquered that place. Even children were involved. They would blow up our tanks."

Col. Alexander Khmel, who as a young artillery officer spent a year with an infantry unit in Afghanistan and still has four pieces of shrapnel embedded in his body from his time there, shared Kirjushin's dark pessimism about the task facing Canadian troops.   
"Please send my personal condolences to your army and to the families of those who have already died," said Khmel, who retired from the Red Army last year.

"If your army stays there, further losses are inevitable. Lots of them. I really feel sorry for your boys."

Military analyst Alexander Golts, who covered the Afghan war for the Red Army newspaper, provided a more nuanced but equally discouraging assessment of the latest war in a distant place where Russian troops used to call the enemy "dukhi" or 'ghosts" because they would often hide their weapons and quietly mix in with the local population at the end of a losing battle only to resurface somewhere else to continue the fight.

"An American general once told me that a civilized nation can't win a guerrilla war until it stops being civilized itself," said Golts. "I think that that is true in Afghanistan.

"Any attempt to bring outside principles to Afghanistan by military force cannot work because this is a traditional society that simply does not understand principles, whether they are principles of freedom or principles of communism. They only see us as invaders."

The former Soviet Union's' Afghan misadventure lasted a decade. When it was over in 1989 about 15,000 Soviet soldiers and more than one million Afghans were dead.

A timely paper written last year for NATO by Col. Oleg Kulakov, a serving Russian army officer who spent five years in Afghanistan as a military interpreter, discussed many of the difficulties that bedeviled the Red Army there between 1979 and 1989.
More on link

"An American general once told me that a civilized nation can't win a guerrilla war until it stops being civilized itself," said Golts. "I think that that is true in Afghanistan.

The Russians should have won then.

We seem to be in the midst of a media campaign against the deployment, with stories everywhere either denigrating our efforts or engaging in wild speculation - all aimed at portraying a "desperate" military on a mission that is guaranteed to fail.  This "Russian" story is typical:  out of context, without any historical comparative analysis and misrepresentative of what we're doing in theatre.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if there isn't a link between this plethora of hatchet jobs and the much-touted "Day of Protest" scheduled for today...  Naaa...

Russian slash and burn terror tactics aimed at conquering a people vs Canadian tactics aimed at providing a safe and secure environment wherein the Afghan people can decide their own destiny.

Yeah, that's a valid comparison.  ::)

MORONS.

I have done a lot of related reading in my spare time and I find a lot of similarities between the two wars. You can read some of the stories in English at http://artofwar.ru/e/english/

Bratok said:
I have done a lot of related reading in my spare time
yeah, me too. I find far fewer similarities than differences. The major similarities: skin colour. The major differences: reason for being there & behaviour.

The Russians were just as ruthless as the afghans. Ruthlessness in war is nothing new to the Russians just look at Grozney and the fighting in Chechnya. The difference between Chechnya and Afghanistan is that the Russians were not prepared to pay the price in blood to keep Afghanistan, afer all they consider Chechnya to be Russian.

paracowboy said:
yeah, me too. I find far fewer similarities than differences. The major similarities: skin colour. The major differences: reason for being there & behaviour.

I would blame the issue of 18-yr old conscript who is told to be there army vs. volunteer professional army wanna be there army (Although many soviet officers and senior nco's were professionals - only ncms and junior nco's were conscripts - and a lot of them volunteered to be transferred into the 40th Army)

However, if you take your typical infantry battalion and compare their tasks (runing convoys, weapon cache raids, ambushes, training ANA and ANP, distributing humanitarian aid, etc) they are not that far off.

I have also read about one CO who had rigged several nearby villages to his diesel generators and gave them all the surplus electricity; he also ordered his engineers to build irrigational systems and wells for the locals; needless to say, very soon all types of attmepts on their property by mujahedeen disappeared, and the local warlord even gave him a Mercedes Benz as a gift. So while the overall strategic vision for the mission might have had elements of "conquering" in it, not all local tactics were in fact tactics of "scorched earth"

read some of Artyom Borovik's work, then compare tactics and mentalities.

tomahawk6 said:
The Russians were just as ruthless as the afghans. Ruthlessness in war is nothing new to the Russians just look at Grozney and the fighting in Chechnya. The difference between Chechnya and Afghanistan is that the Russians were not prepared to pay the price in blood to keep Afghanistan, afer all they consider Chechnya to be Russian.

Chechnya is Russian. And Basayev's followers have it coming. They can burn in the same hell as the Taliban.

perhaps however, the Soviet Veterans would like to offer up some Lessons learned, instead of blind criticism. They do have over 10 years of experience in that place, and I am sure they would have some actually useful lessons to share. But alas, it was really just an anti war article, one that is using veterans to push its agenda. Somthing that sickens me.

rz350 said:
Chechnya is Russian. And Basayev's followers have it coming. They can burn in the same hell as the Taliban.

perhaps however, the Soviet Veterans would like to offer up some Lessons learned, instead of blind criticism. They do have over 10 years of experience in that place, and I am sure they would have some actually useful lessons to share. But alas, it was really just an anti war article, one that is using veterans to push its agenda. Somthing that sickens me.

Fortunately for us we cant use Russian Lessons Learned because they are against the Geneva Convention.

Could always be worse, the Canadian media could start sounding like the UK's. If the BBC were to be believed we should start negotiaitng the hand-over to the Taliban right now.

More useful then the Russian AAR standpoint, was a book with over 180 post battle reports by Muhajideen leaders some of us read prior to deployment. I'll find the name of the book later, it is on the never ending lending cycle.

I've met several former Muhajideen, in various capacities over there, they dont view us as anything like the Russians.

boondocksaint said:
More useful then the Russian AAR standpoint, was a book with over 180 post battle reports by Muhajideen leaders some of us read prior to deployment. I'll find the name of the book later, it is on the never ending lending cycle.
bds,
was it this:
The Other Side of The Mountain: Mujahideen Tactics in the Soviet-Afghan War by Ali Ahmad Jalali & Lester W. Grau

You're thinking of "The Other Side of the Mountain" - required reading IMHO.  Its counterpart is "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" which presents the conflict from the Soviet perspective.  Both are by Lester Grau (the former book with a co-author).

Edit:  Para beat me to it!

It could very well be that book. I was about 3rd to read it, and pass it on, it has gone through many hands now. Which as Teddy mentioned, is probably a good thing as far as required reading goes.

A former Mujahideen leader, was talking with some of us one day and talked about battle tactics in certain areas. He borrowed some paper, took out a pen, and drew us ( my Pl comd included ) an impromptu lesson in how to fight the Taliban from his point of view.

I kept the paper.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
You're thinking of "The Other Side of the Mountain"
I think it is being sold under a new name now.

Could well be - my copy dates from the initial distribution for APOLLO.  Grau spoke to LFWA's SLS last year, but didn't (IMHO, of course) have much insight to offer the assembled masses.

tomahawk6 said:
Ruthlessness in war is nothing new to the Russians just look at Grozney and the fighting in Chechnya. The difference between Chechnya and Afghanistan is that the Russians were not prepared to pay the price in blood to keep Afghanistan, afer all they consider Chechnya to be Russian.

When you read what Chechens did with captured Russian soldiers, you'll probably understand why there were ruthless. Memoirs of a soldier translated, a rather long, but a good read. As rz350 said, those criminals (they are nothing more than criminals. drug/weapon runners, hostage takers, etc) had it coming.

And as for the article itself, I'm pretty sure if those vets found out the nature of the article they were being quoted for, the reporter would loose a few teeth and/or suffer other injuries.

Back