• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running

jacob_ns said:
I will disagree with this if you're a new runner. If you go too far, too soon you are likely to end up with an injury that can seriously delay your ability to improve.

mmm you may be right. im just really happy withmy results which i thought would take me much longer to achieve. (just beat my 6.26 km----7.13 :D; dont know the time tho)

jacob_ns said:
I will disagree with this if you're a new runner. If you go too far, too soon you are likely to end up with an injury that can seriously delay your ability to improve.

I agree with Jacob on this. I tried to do too much too soon (and too fast) back in February and injured my achilles tendon. I couldn't run for a while, and even walking was painful, so it really put a crimp in things. A messed-up achilles tendon or ankle or knee can really put the brakes on your progress - something you don't want to do if you are leaving for basic soon - so you want to gradually work on improving and exceeding previous goals. Push yourself, but know your body and 'listen' to it.

With that said, I am off to do a 6K run on this gorgeous day. (If my fiance is reading this, I am taking the dog with me, too!)  8)

Celticgirl said:
I agree with Jacob on this. I tried to do too much too soon (and too fast) back in February and injured my achilles tendon. I couldn't run for a while, and even walking was painful, so it really put a crimp in things. A messed-up achilles tendon or ankle or knee can really put the brakes on your progress - something you don't want to do if you are leaving for basic soon - so you want to gradually work on improving and exceeding previous goals. Push yourself, but know your body and 'listen' to it.

With that said, I am off to do a 6K run on this gorgeous day. (If my fiance is reading this, I am taking the dog with me, too!)  8)

Try to make running an enjoyable experience, take in your environment and appreciate the nature around you, don't focus on timings too much. If it becomes more enjoyable then you will stick with it and do it more often. I love running in the fall with the colours on the trees. I am sure the dog will love the "walk" also. Most importantly, do not ruin any of the exercise benefits by stealing chocolate from the fridge!

Celticgirl said:

I'd like to add to this, a year ago when I was trying to build up my distance as much as possible I was going from 7km to 12km within a few weeks and the day I went the full distance on the 12km I completely tore up my hamstrings and sure as hell didn't make a time that was better than 6 minutes a kilometre at any moment when I did so. I couldn't bend my legs even close to straight for a week and it took another few after that for it to finally actually be able to go straight with "very" much pain. Running a month after that was very painful and I obviously lost pretty much all of the progress I had and it only fully healed after a few more months after I started running (and I was told to wait quite a bit longer than that to start again...). I pushed myself every day and followed that philosophy and all that got me was 2 useless legs and all of my effort being wasted as well as me starting again from a lower point than I originally started progressing from.

I don't recommend following that advice at all and yes, you've got to listen to your body. If you're having sharp pains anywhere stop progressing your distance and speed, make sure you stretch that area often before/after the run and if it's serious enough have a break for a few days and maybe decrease the speed/distance slightly.

Anyways, just as an update from my previous post a long time ago, running on the treadmill doesn't really compare much to running outside. If your BMQ date is coming up and you're using a treadmill for running, stop and start running outside is my advice as some people have said already.

Hi, I'm 17 and I'm actually waiting for news coming from Ottawa about my file. I apply for a Artillery Officer job.

I would like to know if I'm on the right way to perform well while my BMQ.

I didn't run since approximately a year when, 2 weeks ago, I put on my shoes and run about 8km in 30 minutes. I'm running 3 to 4 times per week since.

I also work all principals muscles during the week. Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Pectorals, Back, Legs. A muscles per day.

I'm always finishing training with 3 round of 50 push-ups (150 push-ups) and 3 rounds of 50 sit-ups (150 sit-ups).

That's all about my training,

What do you think about it ?

(Sorry if there's some mistakes, I speak french all day long but trying to do my best when using english !)

So let me get this straight, you haven't run in a year and with undeveloped legs and cardio you went 8km in 30 minutes on your first run since then? Anyways, yes that's good enough, just don't forget to include pull-ups and chin-ups to your workouts and you'll be fine.

Yeah... I'm just trying to find a nice spot to improve my chin-up... It's hard to find when you're not in a gym..

(My father is 40 and run frequenly 20km each 2 days...) I think I just have the incredible chance to perform well on cardio.

Narcisse said:
Yeah... I'm just trying to find a nice spot to improve my chin-up... It's hard to find when you're not in a gym..

(My father is 40 and run frequenly 20km each 2 days...) I think I just have the incredible chance to perform well on cardio.

Isn't it pull-ups? Not to be a jerk, just making sure you don't do the wrong stuff and then pay for it :)

In fact, It's both. I need to improve both of them. The necessary equipment is the same.

Crisco said:
Will do :D Also do you feel ruch marching would be any way beneficial on a treadmill at 1 incline or should I measure out 3ks away from my home and do there and back outside?

http://www.army.dnd.ca/2field_engineers/images/B-GL-382-003-PT-001.pdf

For anyone who is just starting running - there is a program called Couch to 5K - I just started today, I will see if it works. The link is below:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I am going to keep doing my 2.4 run which I run between 15 and 20 minutes depending on how good I am feeling that day. So hope with both it will improve my 2.4 run. I can't run at 5K yet so I am hoping the other program will help with  my endurance.

Cheers

I started the Couch-to-5k program in April.  I found that it was a good way to get started.  Sometimes the progression was too slow, other times too quick - but by the time you run into these problems, you've had enough running time to have a good sense of what you're capable of, so you can personalize the program appropriately.

Yah I started on the second week and found it a little too easy - I don't feel like I am pushing myself enough so tomorrow when I go for a run I am going to start at week three and see if that is more of a workout and go from there.

Before I begin I would like to note that I do realize that this topic hasn't been used in over a year but I do not feel that I should make a new topic considering the number of topics that involve running.

Well heres my situation, I have applied for the reserves, I have not been accepted to any BMQ as of yet but I am still curious about my progress with my running. My current pace is 4.5 km in 25 min, and my main worry is that if I do get put on course in the near future that I won't be able to do as well as I could have.

Yes I realize that I still have a wait to go before a BMQ opens up thus I will be able to improve my times, but as this stands would this be a satisfactoy enough to do well in BMQ. (Not that I am just aiming for satisfactory but I am just curious).

In my opinion if you can run any faster that 6min / km, that you are running faster than minimum. My fastest 6.5 km run so far is 36 minutes which is about 5:32min/km. So I think you're doing pretty good. Just keep working at it, you'll get faster.

Mix it up. 

See how fast you can run 1 Km.  5KM  8km and say 12km.  The higher you go the more you cut back. So if you're running 100% for a 1 KM run , run at 70% of your "monsters are after me" speed if you're doing 8 or 12 km.

Try running 5Km, 1 KM at a time. After each KM stop and do 15 push ups 15 sit ups 15 squats and chin upsépull ups if you have the option.

oh gosh...im worried now  i wanted to do officer training...i didn't think I would have to worry about a lot of physical testing...i better start training more...thanks for the info!

Back