• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running

ducky said:
oh gosh...im worried now  i wanted to do officer training...i didn't think I would have to worry about a lot of physical testing...i better start training more...thanks for the info!

There is no difference in standards between officer and non-commissioned member for any particular gender or age group, both need to be a fit as possible.  While there are minimum acceptable levels, you will find that striving to be physically fit will enhance your mental and emotional resilience as well.  :nod:

Cheers
G2G

Well to be fit and to run it's two thing. Like in my case, I start to be in really good shape, but I still have problems with running. I can do 600meter in the pool just under 10 minutes 30 secondes (without much effort) but I still find it really hard to run 2.4km in 12 minutes. Not sure why.

Algae said:
Well to be fit and to run it's two thing. Like in my case, I start to be in really good shape, but I still have problems with running. I can do 600meter in the pool just under 10 minutes 30 secondes (without much effort) but I still find it really hard to run 2.4km in 12 minutes. Not sure why.

I hear you Algae, it's definitely a personal thing.  I do Tri and rowing...I love biking and have always been good at swimming, but running...uugh, it's not one of my favourite things.  I feel good after a run, but I don't think my body was optimized for the specific mechanics of running.  For me, running gets done, but it takes a lot of mental discipline for me to actually do it as well and as regularly as I should.  I wish it came more naturally to me...

Cheers
G2G

like today, I did 100 X 25 meter in the pool, 2,4km run, + gym. I do everything I can to be in shape. But for me it's much easier to do 2500 meter in a pool then to run it... When I run I over heat, in the pool I feel confortable. But yes, my cardio is great, I will just try to push a bit harder on the run for my last month before leaving to St-Jean.

Algae,
it'll come.
I could run like the wind, but couldn't swim 2 lengths without stopping at each end. Now after working at it over the last year or so, I swim 500m without needing a break. Patience and persistence is the key. The concepts are the same for both: easy breathing, smooth rhythm, and proper body mechanics.

BTW, there is 2 ways to run in the CF: short and fast (section attacks), or long and slow (13 km rucking). Train both ways.

SFB:

Do you use ear plugs? If so, can you suggest a good type? I've had a couple ear infections from swimming in the past despite my best attempts to dry my ears out post-swim.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the slight thread tangent.  ;)

@Spectrum

I swim often and since many years, and I never did a single infection and I don't use ear plug. But I know that speedo make some, but I never try any.

About BMQ, what are the longuest PT run we will do? And do we run with all our kit in the army boots?

Not sure what it is like now but suspect it has not changed much since I was in.

Every morning we did a 5km run with our unit and yearly did a 2x10 ( 2 days 10 miles each day with full kit wearing our combat boots). Now there is the 13km ruck march followed by the other battle fitness tests.

Running will be part of your life in the military, especially if you go combat arms.

Well, I'm going for Log Officer, but that's not a reason to be out of shape. I just want to know what to expect. I train since 3 months now, I'm in a much better shape now, but still, running it's not my cup of tea ;) But more I do, easier it gets.

All I think about when it comes to running is no woman will ever comment on the the size of my lungs  ;)

And why would I run into battle the fight will still be there when I walk and I'll be fresh when I get there!  ;D

Spectrum said:
SFB:

Do you use ear plugs? If so, can you suggest a good type? I've had a couple ear infections from swimming in the past despite my best attempts to dry my ears out post-swim.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the slight thread tangent.  ;)
Hi Spectrum. I have a relative who's a competitive swimmer and she told me to use a hair dryer on low setting to dry out my ears ASAP after getting out of the pool....she swears by it!  :)

As much running as we do in the military for PT (read: TO MUCH) don't neglect your strength training, which is actually where I see most people fail their fitness test.

Algae said:
like today, I did 100 X 25 meter in the pool, 2,4km run, + gym. I do everything I can to be in shape. But for me it's much easier to do 2500 meter in a pool then to run it... When I run I over heat, in the pool I feel confortable. But yes, my cardio is great, I will just try to push a bit harder on the run for my last month before leaving to St-Jean.

Hey Algae, nice to see another long-distance swimmer! I too can swim for pretty much forever at a decent pace and not go out of breath or tire easily. However, running? Feels impossible. I do try to however, implement the same kind of breathing for running that I do for swimming (same rhythm, etc.) and it has helped a bit. I also know that the pool work definitely helps you with running endurance. The next few weeks this is my focus as well!

You use a different set of muscles and it's harder on your joints when you run.  You guys likely have tons of cardiovascular ability, but it's just a matter of running more often (maybe start at a shorter distance) to get your joints and muscles thinking "running".  Once you get more accustomed to it, your general cardiovascular endurance will take over and you'll see a big change.

owa said:
You use a different set of muscles and it's harder on your joints when you run.  You guys likely have tons of cardiovascular ability, but it's just a matter of running more often (maybe start at a shorter distance) to get your joints and muscles thinking "running".  Once you get more accustomed to it, your general cardiovascular endurance will take over and you'll see a big change.

owe has this correct. Swimming/Running/Biking all use the general muscle group, but each require their own specialty muscles. Each build cardiovascular strength, but do not build specific muscles if only one is used. From my understanding anyway, I'm no expert lol.

Biggoals2bdone said:
As much running as we do in the military for PT (read: TO MUCH) don't neglect your strength training, which is actually where I see most people fail their fitness test.

??? 

Really?  How's that?

So all those people dropping out of the beep test at 0.5 is due to their strength training? ::)

I had little choice the last few months BUT to focus on the strength training and I found it has helped my endurance with running and most definitely with the push-ups. I find though when I crap out during runs, it's because of the lungs wanting to explode (implode?!) and not because my legs are tired out. Before I did the strength training, it would have been the legs giving out before the lungs. Pretty much it's only going to be 'cured' by getting off my arse more and running more frequently.

It's to find the balance!

Getting on a bike and going for broke is a good way to increase lung capacity as well.

Thanks Tango! A very good suggestion and the second time I heard this today! My friend is a running coach (in Italy) and that's exactly what she suggested as well! Being so close to BMQ, she's trying to get me to avoid injuring myself the next few weeks and said the bike would be perfect.

Back