• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

I downloaded the Army fitness manual last month too.

I'm impressed with the various circuits. I meet the CF minimums no problem, been running and doing some weights for some time but this manual really rounded out my routines. By mixing and matching the exercises I can keep the workouts fresh, and I can work out with just about any equipment, or none... I'm finding the body-weight circuits the best all around.

I had never considered exercises like the plyometric and power sprint circuits. They are great additions to my workout.

Just an update on how my workout is going.  I haven't been following it religiously due to family commitments and what not.  The aerobics has been easier to do as I can go and do it whenever, but the strength has been a bit more difficult as I try to do it when no one is around home.  Anyways, I shaved 5 minutes off my 2.4 km run (yes you read that right, I was in worse shape than I ever realized).  Although that 5 minutes probably isn't that accurate since I realized that half way through, my stopwatch hadn't started.  So I took my last two laps and tripled the time.  I will try and do it again later this week for an actual precise measurement.  2 and half minutes faster on my 5km, have to work at that.  I still have a lot of room to improve on pushups.  As I lose weight, it should become easier.  My 40 meter run improved by a 3rd of a second.  Sprinting was never my strong suit anyways, but I will keep trying to better it.  Still have to check my jumping distances (tomorrow).

Off to week 6 I go of the program.  Exercising is getting more enjoyable now that I can see the results, and not constantly worrying about my time.  I just go out do what it tells me to do, and at the end, I feel great.  It is a great program, as it offers something to strive for that is attainable, for anyone, regardless of their physical condition (unless you already meet the level 4 standards).  Being laid off for the rest of the summer helps a lot as well, as I don't have to start wondering how I will do any of the strength exercises.  Ill write again after week 9.  Best of luck to me

So I read all 23 pages. I just want to detail my situation a little bit, and eventually have some input. Which I would REALLY appreciate.

First off, I found everyone's replies to useful!!! So a general thanks for that.

I did the PT test yesterday at my unit, why, I'm not sure, because I know it's no longer a requirement. Anyways. The results were fine, I passed all the female standards and met and exceeded the men standards in the hand grip, crunches, and beep test. Believe me when I know that that means nothing as to how well I'll be able to do physically durin my BMQ.

I have a combined hand grip of 80 kg (or was it pounds?) but my push ups are disasterous...as embarassing as it is, after 9 I can't get my body off the floor. I don't get it? Any tips to improve on this? Yes I did read all previous replies, but all advice is appreciated. From what I gather I just need to do more, in small intervals of time.

Also...I can do the minimum for the running (2.4km). BUT I would like to exceed that before I go to my BMQ in August for obvious reasons. I have 4 weeks, is it possible for me to increase my level of fitness in such a short time? It was sort of a wake up to read/realize that if I am not physically fit or not able to keep up with the platoon, I will not only be of a pain in the ass to myself, but also to everyone else. I don't want to be "that slow girl". Reading all these posts shows just how in shape everyone is, and that's what I am aiming for, and also why I'm going to do everything possible to get in shape before BMQ. Any brutally honest advice is invited.

I saved some of the websites that were posted throughout here, and I plan to use Jeff Galloway's plan for increasing my running. But here's a general outline of what I plan on doing. If there's anything anyone would like to suggest/add/modify please let me know:

Typical weekly routine:
Thursday: Running 25-30 minutes, weights for upper body, swimming to cool off.
Friday: cross trainer (cardio machine) 50 minutes, swimming to cool off
Saturday: running 40 minutes, weights
Sunday: cross trainer 50 minutes
Monday: running 25-30 minutes, weights, swimming
Tuesday: OFF
Wednesday: 2 miles (increase by 0.5 miles every week, so hopefully for BMQ I'll be at around 4 miles. Is that enough?)

With this, will I be able to play the "grey man" during PT? Keeping in mind I'm out of shape, and I admit it. But I'm workin on it...

BMQ August 3rd, Connaught.

-Myriam

mear said:
I did the PT test yesterday at my unit, why, I'm not sure, because I know it's no longer a requirement.

Why not?  It's a chance to exercise, spend time with your colleagues and a way to get an accurate measure of where your fitness level is at. 

mear said:
my push ups are disasterous...as embarassing as it is, after 9 I can't get my body off the floor. I don't get it? Any tips to improve on this? Yes I did read all previous replies, but all advice is appreciated. From what I gather I just need to do more, in small intervals of time.

Do as many regulation push ups as possible, then to several sets of "girl" push ups, with your knees on the ground.  You need to build up the endurance of your upper body, and the only way to do that is through multiple repetitions.

mear said:
is it possible for me to increase my level of fitness in such a short time?  Any brutally honest advice is invited.

Yes.  You should try interval training.  Are there telephone or light poles where you are?  Try this pattern:  jog for two poles, run for two, jog for two, walk for one, jog for two etc.  That slowing and speeding up over and over is very taxing (kind of the theory behind the shuttle run) and you will maximize the effectiveness of the time you spend running.  Also, look into a low carb diet.  The less extra weight you need to cart around the better.  Unless you are underweight, then disregard. 

mear said:
Typical weekly routine:
Thursday: Running 25-30 minutes, weights for upper body, swimming to cool off.
Friday: cross trainer (cardio machine) 50 minutes, swimming to cool off
Saturday: running 40 minutes, weights
Sunday: cross trainer 50 minutes
Monday: running 25-30 minutes, weights, swimming
Tuesday: OFF
Wednesday: 2 miles (increase by 0.5 miles every week, so hopefully for BMQ I'll be at around 4 miles. Is that enough?)

Looks pretty good to me. 

mear said:
With this, will I be able to play the "grey man" during PT? Keeping in mind I'm out of shape, and I admit it. But I'm workin on it... 

Just apply yourself and get as far ahead as you can before you show up.  If you stick to that routine you outlined above, you shouldn't be too badly off.  Maybe cross your fingers that you have some anchor that can't run around the parade square to be the lightning rod.  ;D  Then you can fall back with them to "encourage" them. 
Good luck with training, and don't over do it.  Being injured would be very counter productive.  If you can, get in to see a chiropractor at least a couple of times a week to make sure all the parts are lining up the right way. 
Cheers,

ZHC

The PT test is still a requirement - its just not done at the moment at the Recruiting Centre.

To improve your push-ups - do push-ups.  The other exercises will help build up the muscles, and generally help with the push-ups, but there is a technique to doing push-ups, and your body needs to develop some 'muscle-memory'

When you are doing push-ups, especially at the start, have someone spot for you - to ensure you are doing everything right.  The CF Recruit School website has a good video of the push-up - try this link to see it and other training suggestions.  http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/site/soyez_prets/suggestion_e.asp

Does anyone know the requirements needed in order to obtain orthodic inserts?

I've tried countless times to get proper pairs on running shoes, used countless lacing techniques to relieve pressure. But I can't find a good pair that won't cause either pain while running or cause numbness of my feet/legs after 6-8 km into a run.
I've gone to specialty stores and talked to people there for advise. But its been almost 5 years since I've found a pair of shoes that doesn't do this. I'm not looking for free orthodics from the military, I just need something to help me out.

there is not a requirement, less the opinion of your MO.

But usually it is because of no arches or high arches. Because of your lacing problem, I would say your problem would be high arches. But that's is purely speculation.

for help with running,  breathe on your left foot count 1-2-1-2-3 breath out on the 3 breath in on the very first 1. its hard but thats my what my brother did as he went to RMC. try I do its hard though.

-Pte-Allen- :cdn:

pte.allen said:
for help with running,  breathe on your left foot count 1-2-1-2-3 breath out on the 3 breath in on the very first 1. its hard but thats my what my brother did as he went to RMC. try I do its hard though.

-Pte-Allen- :cdn:

Breathe naturally.Running is natural,so is breathing.If you try this what happens if you shorten your pace?You hyperventilate.Concentrate on pushing harder or pacing yourself instead of "1-2-1-2-3 out on the three".Where did you haul this great info from?Did your brother tell you?If I had a little brother I may have done this as well.
Hey guys watch allen pass out running up the street. ;D

Actually, I do the same sort of thing.  I don't recall where I heard this from, but it is out there.
I try to exhale on the fall of my left foot every second time.  I was told by a colleauge who runs more that I do that you should concentrate on exhaling all the way.  The idea being that when under stress, the body tends to take short, shallow breaths which circulate the air at the top of the lungs.  But the stale air at the bottom is what makes you feel winded.  You don't need to try to inhale hard, your body will draw breath automatically. 
So on the second left foot fall I blow all my air out, and us the following three steps to let the air come back in on its own. 
It could be a bunch of nothing.  Maybe I'm just distracting myself with the counting and it helps take my mind off the run.  Hard to say, but in any case it works for me. 

I also find that doing rhythmic breathing helps.  I used to have a tendency to hyperventilate when I ran and you're right, ZC, taking good deep breaths and exhaling all the way seems to work better for me.

I'm heading for my Reserves BMQ in a few weeks and my personal issue is, while I know I can do the run (I have), I usually get bored and then I lose my mental strength to keep on running. I had an iPod, but that was stolen recently  :mad:, but none the less, I keep trying - I'll try some of these stretches I read earlier about to help my strength.

What are your opinions on doing cardio work and then right after moving into weight lifting routines. Usually I spend about 20 mins running and 20 minutes rowing at a pulse rate in the range of 70-90% of my max. After words I take a few minutes off, move onto abs/obliques and finally into weight training as the last thing per day. I'm not an idiot and weight left the same muscles every day, it is switched up.

The reason why I do this is so that I can get my endurance increased for cardio while burning as much useless body fat. Then when I come to weight lifting its much harder since I have already prioritized for cardio, which i believe having to fight through the weights with less energy should make you stronger mentally at least and physically produce more endured muscles under heavy strain after being worked fairly well.

I've been told to do weights first, then 30-60 mins of cardio, emphasize running.  The reason weights go first is to balance out your body. I forget specifcally what she (peronal trainer who is in extremely good shape) said. But I definetely see improvements in my fitness.  :)

Miss J said:
I've been told to do weights first, then 30-60 mins of cardio, emphasize running.  The reason weights go first is to balance out your body. I forget specifcally what she (peronal trainer who is in extremely good shape) said. But I definetely see improvements in my fitness.   :)

The reason most people do weights before running, has nothing to do with "balancing your body", and everything to do with your energy level, and to some extent safety.  Its much easier and safer to do heavy lifting while you are still "fresh".

I know this thread hasn't been responded to in a while, but I had to throw in my two cents...

Always take what personal trainers say with a grain of salt, and constantly research ways to achieve your fitness goals. A lot of people take what these trainers say as gospel, and it's hard not to when they look as though they're in far better shape than you. Although they may be certified to do their job, they're also trying to sell a product, and will use all the key buzzwords that people want to hear.

I wouldn't recommend strength training after cardio (anything longer than a 5 min warm-up). As Hatchet already said, there's an issue of safety. Not to mention, your energy levels are seriously going to suffer. You're not going to feel that you're getting the most out of either your cardio or strength workout. But I can understand if you want to work out both fitness components at the same time to "balance" your body. Crossfit is an excellent way to gain strength and increase your cardio output in a short, intense workout. Definitely more efficient than long periods of cardio and isolated weight lifting....but not for the faint of heart or mind! Will definitely work that mental aspect as well.

zipperhead_cop said:
Yes.  You should try interval training.  Are there telephone or light poles where you are?  Try this pattern:  jog for two poles, run for two, jog for two, walk for one, jog for two etc.  That slowing and speeding up over and over is very taxing (kind of the theory behind the shuttle run) and you will maximize the effectiveness of the time you spend running. 

I would have to disagree.

With a new runner with little to no base running skills,you should stick to building up you base.Running interval training or such things as hills will improve your running speed.However it will place a great bit of stress on your muscles,and make you more prone to an injury...which will really set you back.And with a mere 4 weeks you will proably not be able to SAFELY work it into your running routine.

I suggest running at about 60% of your max heart rate for about 30-40 minutes twice a day.Walk when needed.The slow running with provide enough oxygen to help break down the fat,and make you faster in the long run.
Also doing this will allow you to train 6 days a week,interval training will only allow you to do it maybe 3 days a week.

hope this helps.

The body adjusts to meet exercise induced stress by enhancing body functions.excess stress will produce injury and illness (in beginner runners).Before attempting any speed,hill,interval training 2 months should be building a healthy base.

Interval training takes muscles to extremes then down to rest in short bursts.

To best build up as a new runner and to avoid injury you should:Build your house.

Build the "basement"
-running at light continuous effort 25 min.walking breaks if necessary.The main goal being duration not intensity.
-avg 2 months

put up the walls
-running at 70% or just below race pace.duration again

nail on the roof

begin fartlek
hills
interval training.

Back