• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

5-8km is a good start, they will start you out at about 5km for the first week or so and then build it up so you will be doing at least 10km at about week 3 or 4. You want to concentrate alot on endurance but on speed as well. They usually like to start of at quite a quick pace and then slow down a bit into a steadier pace. I would say that if you can run 5km in no more than 20 minutes you will do just fine.
Hope that helps.

Mdrinka said:
What do you guys use to know what distance you've ran?

Like gadgets? I use a Garmin Forerunner 200 GPS. It's feature-rich, lots of training tools in it. There's a 100 model that's about 99 bucks, only diff is it's not rechargeable. Find it at the Running Room or similar.

You can also use this free route mapping tool:  http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ Uses Google maps. Use it to measure a running route for yourself.

Can anyone tell me if running in cold weather, say -15,-20 affects how well you run?  I am still new at running but 2 days before was able to run 2k without any problems.  I didn't run for 2 days because of extreme cold but when I went to run this morning, still being -15, I could only run maybe half of my usual.  I only hope that it isnt me, lol.

chappyk said:
Can anyone tell me if running in cold weather, say -15,-20 affects how well you run?  I am still new at running but 2 days before was able to run 2k without any problems.  I didn't run for 2 days because of extreme cold but when I went to run this morning, still being -15, I could only run maybe half of my usual.  I only hope that it isnt me, lol.

Running in cold weather will maintain your fitness, while not running will degrade it.  Like any other Physical Fitness activity, if you take a long break from your training, you will have to work harder to regain the standard you had before.  If you go back and read up on all the info in the subjects on physical fitness you would have known this.  As you haven't, you are just asking questions that have been answered before.

Chappyk

Running in cold weather will slow you down slightly - as it should if you are wearing more layers etc.  But after only at two day lay off, your performance should not have been affected as it was.  I would suggest that either psychologically you "shut down" in the cold or maybe you just weren't motivated to run in the cold in the first place.  Running in the cold offers its' challenges but is definitely doable - This year Gagetown has offered -30 degree temperatures with wind chill and as long as you use some common sense and dress for the weather you should be all right.  Try and stay in a sheltered area (out of the wind) at first until you have warmed up and then venture into the open.  Experiment a bit with your runs and until you have a bit more experience running in the cold don't venture too far from home or shelter. I like to run in the cold especially when its' really cold because the frost builds up on your face covering and by the time you finish you look like an abominable snowman. It impresses the neighbours as well.

plattypuss said:
Chappyk

- This year Gagetown has offered -30 degree temperatures with wind chill and as long as you use some common sense and dress for the weather you should be all right.  Try and stay in a sheltered area (out of the wind) at first until you have warmed up and then venture into the open. 

Running around base is usually pretty covered with the buildings.Stay away from the highways,towards freddytown is blistering cold EVERYDAY.Try out Lincon way,little nicer on most days.

I hate running outside when it's really cold.However some nights instead of doing 75-100 laps in the gym (which is boring)I put up with it.Check out the running room as well,they have some good light warm clothing which helps.If you have a penis invest in the special underwear to keep the boys warm.No word of a lie I really thought mine was going to die one day...it sticks out a little (yes little by 15km)further and if your not properly dressed it can really suck.I wont go into details.
Needless to say I dropped near 300 dollars at the running room the next day.

Why do people slow down to look when your running in -40 at night? ;D ???

Here's just the thing for that.  Task specific, warm when it's wet and your mom can knit it for you.  It's flawless.  ;D

EX_RCAC_011 said:
I wont go into details.

I will.

I have gotten frostbite on my little trooper and it sucked.  Worse was explaining to Mrs. Shamrock the discoloured patch of skin on the helmet.

Shamrock said:
I will.

I have gotten frostbite on my little trooper and it sucked.  Worse was explaining to Mrs. Shamrock the discoloured patch of skin on the helmet.

And she bought the "frostbite" excuse, eh?  Funny thing, you got it at the end of a course in August.... :p

Shamrock said:
I will.

Urinating hurt like a bugger as well.

Although it ain't so bad as the time I lost 3 toenails on my right foot....that freaking sucked.I was hoping they wouldn't come back.But alas they did.The one on my little toe grew back kind of funny,hopefully they will fix up next time they grow back.I'm working up my distance again after "off"season.

Side note for runners,the army issue green long johns are great under some winter running pants.You sweat a little more,but comfortable.And the issued neck gator is not bad as well,used it a few times until I bought a civilian one.

I was wondering if swiming is a good thing to combine with runing and other excersise? 

Swimming is very good exercise for cardio.IIRC swimming 1 km is equal to running 5km.However be warned that if you can swim 2km you will most likely not be able to run 10km,as different muscle groups are used.I tried the swimming when I sprained my ankle this past fall.My swimming improved and I felt a good workout,but now I'm huffing and puffing at the 15km mark on a run.

But it did allow my ankle enough time to recover properly,now it's back to the running.However I like to swim maybe once a week.

Running sucks.....till you get good at it. ;)

See helpful Army Fitness Manual at http://armyapp.dnd.ca/38CBG_ARSD/CBTIST/top7/B-GL-382-003-PT-001.pdf
More at www3.telus.net/helper33

Well, I just went for my first run today, since I don't know how long.  Damn am I ever out of shape, lol.  Despite hiking up mountains about 7 months out of every year, skiing in the winter, using snowshoes at work, and filling in the spare time with jaunts on an elliptical machine, nothing simulates the demands of running....... except for actually running......... on the ground.  I am glad I didn't think it would be easy and put it off until a week before being slated for BMQ. 

This is my first day of using the Army fitness manual  (thank you Catamaran22, it will be a great help).  It will be great to track my progress over the weeks.  After about 600 m I was panting and gasping for air, muscles were sore, and I was about ready to give up then and there :-[.  The push-up test should be interesting.  I have a ganglion (bible bump) in my wrist that occasionally bothers me with the way the wrist is bent in the prone position.  I can do them no problem with my knuckles, but they most likely wouldn't allow that for my testing, lol.  Time to just suffer through it, perhaps the tenderness will go away with more use.  Here I thought, being in possession of my M1 papers would make my wrists impervious to any ailments  :p.

For any of you out there that think they are fit and ready for training just because you are physically active, trust me, you probably aren't.  There is a big difference between activities and actually performing the test areas for the physical aspect of the enlistment process.  Ensure you can beat the minimum requirements, not just meet them.

Week 1 of the program finished.  It has shown me that I wasn't as ready as I thought I would be.  My situps are great, it's the rest of it that is suffering.  Seeming as how I don't have access to a gym for a lot of the exercises it recommends, I will be having to try and find alternatives, but for the most part won't be that bad.  I found the 5km run easier on the body than the 2.4 km, that should change by week 5 when I retest myself again.  The hardest part will be the chinups, and a rope climb.  How does one get better at climbing a rope anyways?  I can't remember ever being able to do it.  As far as the chinups go, it has never been my strong suit, but working more on my upper body strength, should help tremendously.

Back