• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

Hello, my name is David Redmond and i've signed up for the SALH (a reserve unit) and i'm not sure if the training is anything like that of the regular forces. I don't run a lot (i got nobody to run with) but each 5 days or so i give it a go and im able to job at a constant pace for about 15 minutes. I swim, a LOT, but i'm not sure if that will help me for basic training more then running will.

So my question is, should i suck it up and run more, or continue to swim some laps? Which one is better for cardio?

Sorry if this has already been answered, i didn't feel like skimming through 22 pages ;)

I was just wondering if anyone runs in groups. I'm getting ready for bmq and find it much easier to run with a buddy or 2. Lets face it running is really boring.

Treas - You sound like you are doing a reasonable job in terms of running preperation without knowing the distances or times of your runs.  I would caution you, that if the distances are long you may be doing yourself a bit of disservice with the amount of PT you are doing (ie too much)  Instead of some of the longer runs you may want to try some interval trg at a track where you would run at a quicker than normal (or your goal) pace with some rest intervals between - this should eventually lead you to be able to run at that faster pace for longer periods.  There are plenty of books out there on improving your running ability and even Runners World magazine is very helpful.  Personnally I found that hill intervals really helped me in my times on longer distances - but don't overdue them.

Redmond - I'm not sure I understand your email. Do you run 5 days a week or once every 5 days? Swimming is a great cardio activity and humbles me every time I jump in the pool even though I consider myself a good runner.  However I would suggest that you run at 2-3 times a week to get your body prepared for the bump and grind of running which swimming canmot prepare you for.  Don't give up swimming though as it is an excellent cardio activity.

Sorry, i ment every five days and i swim everyday if possible. Is the training in the reserves easier then the reg or the exact same? Just wondering if i should go on a treadmill or dress up a bit more and run outside.

redmond said:
Sorry, i ment every five days and i swim everyday if possible. Is the training in the reserves easier then the reg or the exact same? Just wondering if i should go on a treadmill or dress up a bit more and run outside.

Always run outside if you can, running on a treadmill is good to maintain but if you don't really push yourself on the tread and go farther on the mill then you would outside you are going to find it hard to start running outside. Yes training in the reserves is easier in most situations due to the time constrants Regs work everyday so they can always find time to throw some PT at ya

quick question

i always jog outside i dont use tredmills or anything like that, i also skip and shadow box (3 years of boxing, i enjoy my routine)  and recently i have been doing it ALL outside, not going to my classes anymore means i train in my back yard.. I was just wondering if i should worry about this cold weather having any adverse effects on my breathing... does it damage my lungs or my throat at all to train in the cold

025 said:
quick question

i always jog outside i dont use tredmills or anything like that, i also skip and shadow box (3 years of boxing, i enjoy my routine)   and recently i have been doing it ALL outside, not going to my classes anymore means i train in my back yard.. I was just wondering if i should worry about this cold weather having any adverse effects on my breathing... does it damage my lungs or my throat at all to train in the cold

Your do a lot of running an other physical activity in the cold weather once your in the Army.

redmond said:
Hello, my name is David Redmond and i've signed up for the SALH (a reserve unit) and i'm not sure if the training is anything like that of the regular forces. I don't run a lot (i got nobody to run with) but each 5 days or so i give it a go and im able to job at a constant pace for about 15 minutes. I swim, a LOT, but i'm not sure if that will help me for basic training more then running will.

So my question is, should i suck it up and run more, or continue to swim some laps? Which one is better for cardio?

Not running because you don't have a partner is a poor excuse.

You will do lots of running in the military, so might as well start doing it now. 2-3 times a week is good. When you first start out, don't worry to much about your speed, but try to go for as long as you can.

025 said:
does it damage my lungs or my throat at all to train in the cold
when it gets real cold, wear a scarf over your face. And run faster. It get's you inside quicker.

Running in the cold is not damaging, I will try and dig out a reference this afternoon.  If you think about - Bi-atheletes ski in the cold however I think the limit for a regulation race is -25.  Mind you, don't do your cool down in the cold after sweating, if at all possible that could lead to sickness.

Ok I have just quite smoking after smoking for 16 years and boom I have found my cardeo has gone down hill big time, what is the normal turn around to get it back

I have searched the archives on BMQ training, but have not really found what I would like to know yet. Can anyone please fill me in on some specifics with regards to BMQ training for the reserves, more specificly the weekend BMQ. What time do you usually start PT in the morning? How long do you usually run for? and What pace do you usually run at? These answers would be greatly appreciated to assist in my self preperation. Also I will be going in Jan. is it alot harder running in -30 weather due to harsh dry air?
                                                                              Thanks alot for any knowledge.

Change parade is when the instructors have you change orders of dress within nearly impossible timelines for an extended period of time. It is typically used as a disciplinary tool.

PT on a weekend BMQ will not be very rigourous, probably less than a five km run, followed by 40mins or less of calisthenics - there are some pretty tight time constraints on these courses.

Running in very cold air can result in "eskimo lung" which is basically a non-bacterial fluid build up in the lungs. This is a painful, but not damaging condition. It can be remedied by wearing a scarf over the face while running and a neck gator/scarf around the neck when outside. Also, once you are conditioned to PT in cold weather, it will no longer be an issue.

Hope this helps.

Ok i need some help................

I am 32 years old 185 lbs and 5'10" and just started my running/jogging training. My first time out was at a 1 mile track and I ran it in 8 minutes 0 seconds.  After I stopped running and walked around I thought for sure I was going to die.  That had to have been the stupidest thing I have done for a long long time.  My lungs felt like they were ripped right open.  The next few days my legs were extremely sore (with good reason).  Obviously my brain is stronger than my body and just would not let my body stop running until i was finished a one mile lap.
The next time I went out, next day or maybe two? I went to a 400 meter track, and went around 2 times since I knew that going around 4 times would prove stupid this early in my training.  I can do 800 meters (2 laps) consistently, I have done it now probably 5 days.  I still feel totally winded by the time I am done though, my lungs feel like they have been torn Right open.  I don't get any cramps though.
It seems that from my first run being one mile in 8 minutes I ran 7.5 mph average, probably a little quicker with the 800 meter runs.

I want to be able to run 2.4 klms or 1.5 miles without a problem, but I seem so far from that now.  How long does it take for the body to start being able to run a further distance?  I am going 5-6 days a week.
I know that by dropping 15 pounds around my mid-section I will have an easier time, since I won't have to carry around that extra weight (I am working on that).

Maybe some one out there can give me some guidance with this and tell me if I am doing something wrong or just keep doing what I am doing, maybe it will improve and I will see it eventually.
Thanks

DO NOT RUN 5-6 TIMES A WEEK

You are over training.

If you are 32 with no real physical background, you need to start slow. The best available program for ramping up your running, especially for a beginner is from the running room.They will have you running 5km in 6-8 weeks, no problems, as long as you stick to the plan.

For cardio trg to be effective it must be 1) Progressive, start slow and short, and go progressively further 2) Adhered to, you have to keep at it - 14 days on, 10 days off will not get you anywhere 3) Achievable, your goals are quite modest right now, with a little work, you should be able to reach them in 4 - 6 weeks.

For a reference, a very average running pace is 5 minute kilometers, for a minimum of 10 km. (10km in 50 mins)

The Running Room will be able to fix you up with a peer support group, trails, maps, proper shoes, and good coaching. Check them out!

And no, I don't work there. They just do all around excellent work.

Hope this helps.

Springroll said:
I also want to add that stretching and breathing are also important. Make sure you stretch for at least 5 minutes before a run, ensuring that you have stretched every part of your body.
do not stretch cold muscles. Period.
If you intend to do any stretching, first go for a short, light jog. If you intend to stretch your entire body, do some light calisthenics first. Stretching cold muscles causes injuries.

I don't recommend this for anyone, but I don't stretch before any activity. It teaches the body that it will be called on to exert itself at a moments' notice. You won't be given the opportunity to stretch before you come under fire; you don't take time to stretch before you have to lift ammo or kit into a truck. Train how you fight.

I have to agree with paracowboy on two points: get thee to a Running Room, and don't stretch cold muscles. I have bought a lot of good gear and gotten excellent advice at the RR (plus military pers get a 10% discount there). They take the time to ensure that you get the types of shoes that YOU need, not what they want to sell you. They have shoes in a variety of price ranges, and with the discount (and even without it) their higher end (~$200) shoes are cheaper than the big sporting good shops.

As for stretching, I rarely, if ever stretch before going for a normal run. I'll run for 5-10 minutes (easing into the run) and then go through a variety of stretches for the parts of my body that I know need it. Dynamic stretches (moving slowly, but not bouncing) are the "in" thing right now, so I would recommend reading up on them (Runners World, Men's Health, etc websites will get you in the right direction).

A rule of thumb for beginning runners is to only increase your distance by 10% per week, to avoid injury. Another "trick", as first advocated by John Stanton, who started the Running Room chain, is the "10 and 1", which means run for 10 minutes and walk for 1 minute. You may have to start with 1 and 1, and then increase it as you progress. While walking, take the time to drink water and give your "running muscles" a break. Believe me, it works: the furthest I had ever run (in one go) was 10km. After following this routine, I am able to run 20km+ (with the walking breaks about every 15mins). Nobody can ever tell you that you're not allowed to walk while you are running. In fact, people do this when running marathons. No, you won't win the marathon, but it will allow you to FINISH it. Running is a very mental thing: people normally give up long before their bodies would ever quit, because they allow their mind to let them down.

Don't get discouraged if you can't run 10km in 40 mins (I can't). Keep pluggin away at it, and eventually you will look back and laugh at how hard it was for you to do your first run. And music definitely helps keep you motivated, so think about investing in an MP3 player if you don't have one.

Have a good one,

AL

Thanks for the reply (Go !!!).........This makes me wonder what is the downside of over training, to me that sounds like telling someone they make too much money, it doesn't make sense to me.
By the Running room I am guessing your mean www.runningroom.com ?  I have a lot to learn I guess !

Over training actually breaks down your muscle mass, as opposed to building or training it, so it is counterproductive. You will also find training to be so physically exhausting that you won't do it if you overtrain.

Example: while training for an endurance race, I pushed it hard for the first two weeks, doing more than the accepted training program demanded. On day 11, I was running, and at about the 3km (I could easily run 10km the week before) mark my muscles felt like they were burning, my feet were 50lb blocks, every breath was laboured. I was seeing stars, and just could not go any faster. I had beaten my body down to the point where there was just nothing left, and was now running on guts and drive.

While this may sound like a good thing, there is no real "value" to running this way. You are not a better runner after completely exhausting yourself. You must train to that 80-85% level, then stop. Your body will adapt to the strain, and you will get better. You will also not be so sore that you can't run 2 days later (one should only run 3-4 times a week). While there is something to be said for marathons, mountain man races etc, these are done once every 3 months by experienced runners, and they are hurtin' afterwards!

Paracowboy is right, don't stretch cold muscles. Run for a bit first. I only stretch the ones that need it, but it took me 2-3 years to figure out which ones they were!

2006AF said:
This makes me wonder what is the downside of over training, to me that sounds like telling someone they make too much money, it doesn't make sense to me.
GO!!! beat me, but I typed the friggin' thing, and I'm posting it damnitall!
essentially, over-training is taking your body to the point where it can no longer recuperate. At that stage, all you're doing is constantly wearing yourself down. It isn't the exercise that causes you to get stronger/faster/whatever. It's the time you rest afterwards allowing the body to recover fromt he exertion demanded of it, and adapting itslf to prepare for the next demand.
Go to my thread Blisters, Shin Splints, and PT, in this forum for more comprehensive advice. If you have any questions after reading it, pm me, and I'll try to help.

I'd hurry, I plan on getting very drunk soon.

Back