• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rules and Problems

I guess the problem of accumulating charge bags would be solved by the frequent moves required to avoid effective CB.

But then again I want to replace the number three sight with a GPS and gyro, so I am a bit of a "radical".

Frequent moves ( regardless of CB ) are not really in the agenda, given the real estate problem. ( I remember the Van Doos doing a recce in our A Echelon one fine morning. It appeared that "there was no room for them at the inn ", as it were.  Where am I going with this ? That night, they did a mech assault onto their DS Bty position.....our flanking Carl Gustav guys showed no remorse....neither did the umpire staff !!!! )

Point: Buddy....there ain't no real esatae to move into.

Point 2: Buddy....GPS and Gyro are happening now. Not on the gun sight, mind you, but as a replacement for the Director. We pissed around with developing our own Star Trek method of orientation ( GACS ), and went back to the proven aiming circle. At the time we were doing the GACS thing, the Yanks were using a GPS and gyro for Bty orientation and survey. We spent ( the odd ) on R&D when we could have had a viable system for a mere 5g per unit.

Anyways, yet another two cents......

HUA

Ubique

2 RCHA still uses the L5's for the gun race.  They are however called the "Army Gun Race Team"  There was 2 members of the RCR and an engineer on the team last year.  The also had a custom ramp built to eliminate the 4 gun tractors with winches that they were using.  The new Chasm looks a bit smaller than when they used the trucks, but the entire operation is now able to be carried by a bus for the "runners" and a tractor trailer for the guns, ramps, and the chasm's structure.

The L5 Gun Race thing started in 1 Airborne Battery RCA of The Canadian Airborne Regiment. We picked it up off 29 Commando Regiment RA of the Roayal Marines. Because we were actaully two mini-batteries ( A and B troop ), we used to do battle with each other via the gun race.

When that outfit disbanded in ' 77, we moved to Petawawa as "E" Bty (Para). The gun race thing didn't go away. In fact, it flourished. Since all of 2 RCHA had the L5 at the time, it only made sense to do battle with "D" Dty AMF(L). Later on, "F" Bty was taken on, and the gun race became a bit of a Second Regiment tradition.

Historical two cents worth...........

Ubique

MrGnr,
I found a photo of a bunch of fools standing in front of a building in England showing off some wings, know these guys? It actually a cool souvenir, didn't know my late father kept EVERYTHING....I guess he know I would appreciate them someday. :salute:
Bruce

I have that photo archived somewhere.

Remember the day we were at Weston-On-The-Green doing the balloon jumps ? I specifically remember taking issue over the subalterns making a b-line for the box lunches BEFORE the troops. One of them pouted and punted his box lunch down range rather than give it up !

Oi !! The memories, mate !!

Ubique

I was looking at the jump book last night and it hit me, I remember someone not being happy but I thought it was with the lunch, ......thats funny!!!!

....I believe was off hiding, checking and tightening my boot once again trying to make sure no one remembered that untill 2 days previous I still had a cast on my broken foot :crybaby:.............I thought the Brit trainer was going to throttle me on the "mock plane" as everytime I practiced for the right side I would slam my wrong foot down hoping no one was paying attention and just hearing the sound would be enough.
Speaking of the subalterns, there was one taking pictures that day, he was in "your" bty with you,[wow, veiled speech, after all these years ::)], did you ever get to see them? I know if it turned out, he got a good one of me about 10 feet over his head as I was getting a little nervous about explaining my landing on top of the TC.

2 points

@ the Master Gunner. I am not sure if you are talking about the L5 here, I worked the C1/C2 and C3's and I distinctly remember the Stave's and Rammer/Extactor on the left side of the left trail as it was the #2 who used them.

@ Reserve Blair. If the crate with the charge bags catch fire, there is no way you are going to get close enough, soon enough to kick that over, unless you get some perverse enjoyment out of severe 3rd degree burns.

Larry,

I hope things are well on the rigs ( no pun intended ).

I believe that the issues of uniformity on the gun platform were put to rest. It's the old story: if you give 'em an inch....they take a mile...everytime !

In any case, I saw some recent photos of your old outfit deployed at Range 16 in WX. The pictures were taken from the tower. I will not describe what I saw because I do not wish to cause embarrassment. Suffice to say, they could have used a couple of canteen cups full of uniformity.

Ubique

Master Gunner

I would in all likely hood have to agree with you, things had changed so much from the time I started in 20FD to when I quit, A general relaxation of rules, and changes in CF doctrine with more emphasis on "PC" than actual "Army". I know when i started we went out and live fired about once a month, and now I don't think they even go out 3 times a year.

Would I know you perchance, or do all Mr Gnr's speak with the same diction ;D. You sound awful familiar.

Well at least I am creating some enjoyment for someone ;D

By the way Master Gunner, things are going well out in the "Patch'. I am in the process of becoming a Consultant, which will at least get me off of the "Rig Floor". And no pun taken.

Yes, I do not see wagon lines being consistant with the moblie warfare we are supposed to practice these days. Mind you some positions do require them. Good points on the stndardisation in a Bty, hadn't thought of it that way. I personally  would like to have a conversation with the felow who introduced the plastic ammo tubes, or at least the one involved in designing the seals. After they have been sitting for a bit they tend to seize up. I generally deploy a lookout while I use the pick to pry them. The "incident" with the gun that burned down; it is funny after the fact in the mess you must admit.... Strtangely the rule about having to use burn kits was suddenly enforced inShilo the day after the safety officer burned his initials into the parkplatz, not a coincidence to the present.

The plastic tubes are a real PITA . They do respond to a little gentle prying with the screwdriver part of the M18 though . I can honestly say that I miss the old cardboard tubes .

2FD RCA has been deploying the GT right behind the guns for many years now , we link up 5 camnets and cover the whole gun platform . Works for us , YMMV .
IMO , keeping the GT near the gun is the better of the 2 options , I still remember building "stand easys " out of empty ammo crates in Gagetown around 1986 .

The charge bag issue is easily dealt with by bagging 'em and moving them outside of your salvage pile .

We have a unit SOP for the gun platform layout , its been in force for a long time but its a living thing , we do modify it as needed .

My 2 cents ,

Craig

Craig B, welcome to army.ca and the artillery forum.  I hope you will be a regular contributor to our artillery community.

Cheers,

Gunner

Yo, Bomber

It's time you got back in here and stirred things up a bit.  Like where are we gonna lay out all the kit when we go to MOBAT?

Okay ref burn kits yes there is a good reason why we use this long drawn out system to burn charge bags. A few years ago an officer was burning charge bags in the winter, of course we had our winter whites on and the charge bags were layed out properly for burning. They were ignited, then POOF, a gust of wind came up, caught the winter whites on fire, no injuries thank God. This is why this process is practiced. So now if you are safety qualified and have the one week course which covers the safety course and this particular subject, you can burn the charge bags. I just finished my course in Gagetown in May 2005. Hope this helps. :salute: :cdn: 

Back