• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rucksack Weight

I always jam my ruck as full as it will go... if I had more room, there‘d be more stuff jammed in... partially because if I stopped doing it, I‘d loose the ability to carry it comfortably, but mostly because if I don‘t jam it full, I‘m afraid I‘ll need the stuff I left behind! Never any problems with the weight.

I never jam my ruck full, because there is always something else they give you just when you think you‘re carrying it all!

From extra C6 ammo to defensive or OBUA stores to meals, to whatever other crap they didn‘t put on the kit list, I run out of room pretty **** quick if I don‘t carefully whittle down the useless crap I don‘t need out of the ruck.

This last weekend, I almost got burned, though. We were on Ex at Fort Drum, NY (thanks for setting that one up, QOR!), and I put my longjohns in the follow-up kit, which of course, we only had sporadic, brief access to, and not at all before doing OBUA rehearsals Saturday afternoon.

Fort Drum this time of year reminds me of the northern wastelands of Saskatchewan. It was cold, windy, and barren flat landscape. The only thing missing was the 6 feet of perma-snow and there were a few more trees and bushes than the praries, but nothing over 3 metres high.

Luckily another member of the section about my size had a spare set of longjohns he loaned me.

Of course, another lucky thing was that it was an airmobile OBUA exercise, and so the rucks stayed in the platoon biv area. Everything we needed for the Ex we pretty much had to carry in our webbing, or at most, an extra nuke bag.

The suicide straps are my new best friend

As of late, I‘ve been thinking I need a solution to lug more kit around... been thinking about working out a way to strap a few pouches to the ruck... any suggestions?

Just a Sig Op,

I‘ve used an extra valise at times, it works great for stuffing kit in real fast. I use the old 64 pattern, the extra valise is secured by a couple of bungy cords on top...it hasn‘t failed me yet.

Train hard, fight easy. Or another adage: the more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat. Any leader worth his salt will ensure that his troops practice with proper battle loads. The Brits do an excellent job of this. They have weighted bandoliers and dummy anti-tank rounds for the troops to lug around. The US Army 7th Infantry Division (Light) which was stood up in the 80s (deactivated only a few years later) ensured there were properly weighted mags, dummy grenades, dummy claymores, etc. Troops need to become accustomed to carrying proper battle loads. All leaders should strive to get their troops carrying realistic combat loads during training, otherwise you're not doing your job. For example, doctrinally the wartime ROI for M72s is one per soldier. On ex's units should attempt to get as many dummy M72s into the hands of their troops. If you don't have enough (I'm sure reserve units definitely don't have many) get a block of wood and have it cut down to the same dimensions as an M72 (or as close as possible while being as close to the proper weight as possible; weight is more important than exact dimensions). Improvise, modify, adapt, overcome. Train your people properly so they can do their job to the best of their ability.

WRT a solution to carrying more kit around, invest in a good apack. I use a Lightfighter RAID pack. Best apack on the market IMO. For an 82 pattern ruck just keep it lashed under the lid. For a 64 pattern ruck I keep it lashed against the frame under the velise. The apack should be kept as light as possible, while still humping the necessities you need for the assault or for a light patrol. I carry my E&E kit on there as well so I can grab my apack and go if I need to drop my ruck and I'll still have a goodly amount of supplies on me.

Ruckweights...

The most I have humped is 135lbs - there is no fun in that, and at that point no matter what your intention you end up head down and trugging along - at that poitn you are combat ineffective.

On EX you should be simulating combat - I fail to see why reservists only pack for weekend ex's - what is the trg value in that? 
W/O our rucks we are running the 75-90lb weight  :eek: (depending upon role in the Platoon)
C9 gunner are the heaviest hit (well the C6 gunner in reality but there is only two (one in a mech BN) and no one seem to care about PL HQ folk anyways - C6 gunner about 110lbs)

Keep in mind this is the basic war fighting load.

Add in a ruck with minimal amount of ammo.

Guys with only 50lbs are kidding themselves badly.

Kevin, how the heck do you remain combat effective for any extended period if your kit weighs that much before your ruck?! :eek: You guys must only carry a ranger blanket and a t-shirt in your ruck if you weigh that much without a ruck... jeez... Seriously, what are you guys carrying in light of all that weight?

Kind of off-topic, but on tour how much ammo would one be carrying in their rucksack?(i.e. how many rounds)

There was an article posted a while back that said on Op. Apollo they were carrying 12 mags.  I don't know if thats accurate or not.

It seems to me that if you were on a weekend ex. you would likely pack for three or for days, not two.  In the field, things go wrong.  Sometimes a 1 hour op can turn into a three day disaster.

scm77 said:
There was an article posted a while back that said on Op. Apollo they were carrying 12 mags.   I don't know if thats accurate or not.

10 mags is the curent established issue.

Some will carry more mags - and all will carry more ammo

Back