• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rubik's Cube

scoutfinch

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
... it's making a comeback.

And I am just as addicted as I was the first time 25 years ago.  I know I could undoubtedly find a solution easily on the internet but I love the challenge of this dementing little puzzle!

I had borrowed one a few months back and after hours of frustration I eventually turned to a youtube walk through.

After it explained the algorythims involved I was convinced that there was no way at all I'd have ever figured it out on my own.

Good luck though!

I managed to do it the first time and I'll do it again if it kills me!

scoutfinch said:
I managed to do it the first time and I'll do it again if it kills me!

Ah!  .......and the "First Time" lasted for twenty five days, seven hours, forty-five minutes and twenty-three seconds; right?    ;)

George Wallace said:
Ah!  .......and the "First Time" lasted for twenty five days, seven hours, forty-five minutes and twenty-three seconds; right?    ;)

...conservatively!

Well, I still didn't finish my first time ...

if you don't count the time I take out the pieces with a knife to go faster  :-\ ! :-\

I hate the things. One side is easy, two is pretty good, but all the sides is a nightmare.

To be clear, when I was referring to 'the first time' I wasn't talking about solving it the first time I picked it up.  God no!  It took me several weeks of playing with it.

I was talking about the first time I was exposed to a Rubik's cube 25 years ago... my current obsessive behaviour being 'the second time'.

2 years ago a couple of my friends picked one up for a gag gift at our yearly xmas party (yes we are a bunch of geeks we have a nice big turkey dinner with all our frinds new and old here in town) anyways, two boys or men rather we are adults now haha decided to start a little compition for this, alongside flarring, and spinning. Well by the second month not only were these two getting the cube done in less then a minute, they were able to make actual patterns in them. After that they moved to the next stage which is a slightly larger cube.  That one gave them both some difficulty but they did manage to solve it. Amazing what will amuse people in my town.

There are 43,252,003,274,489,000 configuartions, find one you like - whether it is a recognizable pattern or a "solution".  A good 'solution' site is: http://home.earthlink.net/~edanlewis/rcube/

http://63.197.151.31/rubik25.pdf

For anyone interested, this guy proved that any starting position can be solved in at most 25 moves. He is now working on proving that it may be even less than 25 moves.

I used to have a tiny one on a keychain that I would work at for hours. Drove me crazy and yet I couldn't stop.  >:D

Speaking of addictive games, have you ever done the "Crimson Room" puzzle? It's an online game of sorts where you have to find a number of objects in a room. Hours and hours of my precious life wasted on that bizarre game.  :blotto:

Edit: I found it! Here, Scout, try this: http://www.fasco-csc.com/works/crimson/crimson_e.php. You'll forget about that Rubik's cube in no time!  ;D

Back