• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Canadian Air Force headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general

Kat Stevens said:
Uganda didn't enjoy it last time a C 130 landed at Entebbe  ;D

While tongue and cheek, you should be aware that we deployed C-130s out of there in 1996 for our last African adventure.

Rwanda on the other hand was a different story.

HB_Pencil said:
While tongue and cheek, you should be aware that we deployed C-130s out of there in 1996 for our last African adventure.

Rwanda on the other hand was a different story.

Wait. So you're telling me that C 130s have landed at Entebbe after July of 1976? Got sources for that? Fake news.  ::)

Eye In The Sky said:
Did you miss this one in the news recently??

RCAF member deploys as gender advisor

Bit off off topic but talking about Sweden and the Nordic Centre For Gender in Military operations where our gender advisors train (I'm sure I'll be there soon) from your link. I find it interesting that Sweden is often lauded as the standard for women's rights and equality but lots of first hand stories don't seem to match that narrative.

http://www.hungarianambiance.com/2018/03/natalie-contessa-is-under-24-hour.html?m=1

Natalie Contessa received death threats, her address made public, and her community site was hacked after she gave an exclusive interview to M1 TV about the Swedish refugee situation. She is now under 24-hour protection by former special operation soldiers.

Natalie Contessa has lived in Sweden for almost 40 years and moved to Hungary because of the deterioration of public security in the country. In an exclusive interview with M1 TV, she talked about migrant crime in Swedish cities, that the police ignore.

The woman received death threats after the interview, and the liberal media launched a smear campaign against her by publishing info about her personal life to undermine her credibility. The intimidation campaign and the threats are ongoing so she filed a complaint with police.

When you start reading some of the stories out of Sweden it sounds like they might need their own UN peacekeepers soon.

Jarnhamar said:
When you start reading some of the stories out of Sweden it sounds like they might need their own UN peacekeepers soon.

Perhaps that's what the UN wants.

Kat Stevens said:
Wait. So you're telling me that C 130s have landed at Entebbe after July of 1976? Got sources for that? Fake news.  ::)

Shocking, I know...

The only reason why I raised it was due to the link to our last major African intervention that didn't end all too well.

HB_Pencil said:
Shocking, I know...

The only reason why I raised it was due to the link to our last major African intervention that didn't end all too well.

The one that didn't end too well or the one that never really got started too well? 

MM

Jarnhamar said:
Bit off off topic but talking about Sweden and the Nordic Centre For Gender in Military operations where our gender advisors train (I'm sure I'll be there soon) from your link. I find it interesting that Sweden is often lauded as the standard for women's rights and equality but lots of first hand stories don't seem to match that narrative.

http://www.hungarianambiance.com/2018/03/natalie-contessa-is-under-24-hour.html?m=1

Following the gender advisor thing, I have been advised as the S9 I am also responsible for writing the "Gender Annex" to the orders. (In addition to the CIMIC and PSYOPS annex, I might add). Do you have any sort of examples I could peruse? This will be useful because not only have I never seen one, no one can tell me which letter it falls under (my shorthand right now is "Annex XY").

Thanks

Annex XY works for me.  ;D

But you have an easy job, Thuc. You get to write the first OPORD Gender Annex. It will be the model for all that follow.

Personally, I think it should read as follows:

ANNEX XY - GENDER:

1. In this OPORD, the pronouns he or she are used singly for ease of readability but include any and all genders, binary or otherwise.

2. All genders, binary or otherwise, are welcome to take part in the operation covered by this OPORD, so long as they otherwise meet the required qualifications for the job and are capable of doing it.

That's it! All you need really in a CAF "Gender" annex.  ;D

I just hope that the troops will have the proper equipment needed for this mission. Unlike my last 2 deployments overseas, where we were left to purchase missing uniform parts from the Americans.

medicineman said:
The one that didn't end too well or the one that never really got started too well? 

MM

One can argue that's an accurate description for both of them.

Thucydides said:
Following the gender advisor thing, I have been advised as the S9 I am also responsible for writing the "Gender Annex" to the orders. (In addition to the CIMIC and PSYOPS annex, I might add). Do you have any sort of examples I could peruse? This will be useful because not only have I never seen one, no one can tell me which letter it falls under (my shorthand right now is "Annex XY").

Thanks

You should include something like this: 'All genders will attack as required or, like everyone else, suffer the consequences: friendly or enemy induced.' :)

Eagle Eye View said:
I just hope that the troops will have the proper equipment needed for this mission. Unlike my last 2 deployments overseas, where we were left to purchase missing uniform parts from the Americans.

The French deployed without enough ammo and had to get extra from the US.remember bullets are free anything else and you get charged lol. Gotta account for most everything. ::)

I will admit I’m not up to speed on the situation in Mali. I’m not all that confident that the MND and the PM have made the right decision. Time will tell. Let’s hope we don’t see more trips down The Highway of Heroes.

Eagle Eye View said:

They didn't have LPSVs for us at the start of IMPACT, so we flew with the useless LPUC stuffed in the go-bags, and had a 'home made' LPSV using TACVEST and a combo of issued stuff and stuff from my civie hiking gear, I shit you not.  It wasn't until later on we got LPSVs, and then some daft-minded pipe-licker stuffed the radio pouch full of other crap, so it took longer to get the vest sorted out  :facepalm:.  Who looks at a pouch marked "radio" and then stuffs it with everything but a radio and signs off on it?

On R0 and part of R2 I used this rig as my LPSV;  just had to stuff my 112 in the right pouch (carried my pistol off the rig).  Worked but the point & question is...why did we have to do that in the first place??  * we also had people that could only get the 'orange colored' strobe.  :brickwall:

Attachments

• Impro LPSV.jpg
    Impro LPSV.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 286
Holy crap, someone found an actual operational use for the tacvest.

....with the knife upside-down

(unless the intent is to slice your throat, because you're not in an RCAF-approved hotel)    ;)

Pointy end was down (that's the sharp end, right?)...that Ka-bar model is a little heavy, was more worried it would fall out (I modified the sheath that came with it).  Still seemed a better option that my issued SHTF knife, pictured below.

But, to get back on track...hopefully the 'required kit' is available for the air and ground pers heading out and people aren't raiding their personal gear to make ends meet.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 163
Thucydides said:

Thanks
Yes, XY is perfect! 

Attachments

• XY Image.PNG
    XY Image.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 215
Eye In The Sky said:
Pointy end was down (that's the sharp end, right?)...that Ka-bar model is a little heavy, was more worried it would fall out (I modified the sheath that came with it).  Still seemed a better option that my issued SHTF knife, pictured below.

But, to get back on track...hopefully the 'required kit' is available for the air and ground pers heading out and people aren't raiding their personal gear to make ends meet.

You are assuming that the ROE will allow knives to be carried.  Remember who is sending you there.

Haggis said:
You are assuming that the ROE will allow knives to be carried.  Remember who is sending you there.

:Tin-Foil-Hat:

Attachments

• new UN knife.jpg
    new UN knife.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 150
Back