• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Canadian Air Force headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general

Eye In The Sky said:
My concern is with things like ROE and 'what kit can we bring'...time will tell...

I agree that we should be concerned with this but I've got faith in the CoC.  The present CDS was seasoned in the Balkans and Afghanistan.  He is acutely aware of the dangers the troops will face.  This isn't 1992, it's 2016 and we've got combat seasoned Officers and Senior NCOs leading the military now and I trust them to set us up for success. 

Humphrey Bogart said:
I agree that we should be concerned with this but I've got faith in the CoC.  The present CDS was seasoned in the Balkans and Afghanistan.  He is acutely aware of the dangers the troops will face.  This isn't 1992, it's 2016 and we've got combat seasoned Officers and Senior NCOs leading the military now and I trust them to set us up for success.

To be clear, it's not the military I don't trust.

recceguy said:
It's not the mission, as others have said. It's the way our present government is trying to sell this as peacekeeping. Canadians think, pressed combat, spiffy blue berets, blue ascots and white UN marked vehicles. They carry rifles for the dogs. Canadians are the great UN negotiators that'll have the French and ISIS living hand in hand after six months. That's what Canadians think when the government says peacekeeping. Canadians are stupid and will have a very rude awakening when things go south. It's all Trudeau kumbaya shit and soldiers are, probably, going to die to satisfy his ego and arrogance. Anyone with a schmick of real world smarts knows that playing that kind of bait and switch with Canadians, typically, does not end well. However, the PM has never operated in the real world, so how would he know anyway.

You forgot to add "for the troops", after "does not end well."

Altair said:
I've read shake hands with the devil. Good enough for you?

No.

Try listening to the opinions of people like me who have been there/done that. We have reasons to be concerned about Gerald Butts' plans for us.

Thucydides said:
No.

Try listening to the opinions of people like me who have been there/done that. We have reasons to be concerned about Gerald Butts' plans for us.

This.  :goodpost:

So, now that the TOW missile has been reintroduced....we wouldn't happen to have some air defense systems laying around that we declared surplus, would we?

jmt18325 said:
So, now that the TOW missile has been reintroduced....we wouldn't happen to have some air defense systems laying around that we declared surplus, would we?

Wouldn't that be a sweet notion? Then we only need to grab a regiment's worth of SPGs, acquire more tanks and beef up our logistical capabilities. Easy peasy.

jmt18325 said:

Only if the government finds a magical capability gap.

Oh wait.... they only use that term for political goals, not actual capability gaps.

PuckChaser said:
Only if the government finds a magical capability gap.

Oh wait.... they only use that term for political goals, not actual capability gaps.
The politics thread desperately needs a return.

jmt18325 said:

No, but there are lots of perfectly good Avengers in the USA looking for a good home. Some of them may still have the Canadian insignia on them from the failed lease for Op PODIUM.

Altair said:
The politics thread desperately needs a return.

Some people couldn't be adults, so we lost it. Kinda like alcohol on ships.

I think that's the one area (air defense) that we're really lacking in.  Maybe people at DND will push hard enough.  One can only hope.

jmt18325 said:
I think that's the one area (air defense) that we're really lacking in.  Maybe people at DND will push hard enough.  One can only hope.

"How could they possibly be Japanese planes?"

— Admiral Husband E. Kimmel, Dec 7th, 1941

This from "multiple sources" via CBC.ca ...
One of the Trudeau government's contributions to peace and stability in Africa is expected to include a revamped training mission in Niger that has been — until now — the purview of Canada's highly secretive special forces, CBC News has learned.

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan was slated to arrive in Africa on Tuesday on a fact-finding mission for future peacekeeping operations.

But his assessment comes as the Liberal government is also considering a separate request to turn a special forces capacity-building mission, known as Operation Naberius, into a regular army training mission for troops in the war-torn country, multiple sources tell CBC News.

The switch could happen as early as September, not long after Sajjan attends a major international UN peacekeeping conference in London.

In an interview, Sajjan confirmed the proposal is being being debated.

"We are looking at that mission," Sajjan told the CBC. "There has been a really great impact made. And before we make a decision on that mission and what needs to be done, if there are other resources we need to bring to the table; we need to do the full analysis."

The operation has flown almost entirely under the radar since it was instituted over three years ago by the former Conservative government, which at the time faced repeated calls from the international community to help beat back Islamic militants, who have taken over a large swath of territory in neighbouring Mali ...
A little something to orient yourself with:
f17363ae4aaac804847e71a2e9ce1430.gif

e45904545f8a90c6b3c900fb3cfa1da2.gif

What am I missing here? The Trudeau government campaigned on getting back to peacekeeping, claiming we'd been to long out of the game. Now they're considering an ongoing mission, started by the CPC? Are they going to proclaim this a new mission because they change the colour of the hats?

I can see the CBC, the Red Star and the Mop & Pail now:

Justin Trudeau says, "CANADA IS BACK!" PM OK's dangerous mission in Niger.

After years of neglect and non participation in UN missions, the PM has said "The days of ignoring the genocide and terrorism in Africa are over. Canadian Peacekeepers will once again sally forth as Canada's Boy Scouts to ............................................. ::)

What is Canada's strategic, security, or economic link to Niger? The ROE had better be "weapons free" and we had better bring lots of nasty weapons: http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/new-isis-islamic-state-daesh-amaq-news-pictures-videos-wilayat-west-africa-wilayat-gharb-afriqiya-boko-haram-bosso-army-camp-attack-full-uncensored-youtube-video/

ISIL runs across the borders into other countries after their raids, it is hard to see how a peacekeeping mission can deal with that.

How many people will want to vomit when Trudeau, Dion and Singh are on the tarmac in Trenton.

Cloud Cover said:
ISIL runs across the borders into other countries after their raids, it is hard to see how a peacekeeping mission can deal with that.

In Vietnam, I believe we used defoliants, and special forces that did not - do you hear - did not enter Cambodia or Laos  ;D.

Cloud Cover said:
What is Canada's strategic, security, or economic link to Niger?   

according to our embassy:

- We trade to the whopping amount of $7.8 million dollars/year;
- Canada provided around $30 million in humanitarian aid in 14/15;
- Canada contributed $5.4 million to the world food programme and CARE Canada to provide humanitarian aid in the Diffa Region;
- Canada pledge $20 million in July 15 to stop child marriage;
- Canada maintains a counter terrorism mission in Niger and Canada-Algeria co-chair a working group on the Sahel. Niger is allowed to take part!
- Canada and Niger are both members of the UN and the francophonie

So, in sum, there is essentially no link between the two nations aside from the common French heritage/colonial association.

Strategically, our association is iffy... Canada may have some interests in Africa, and taking a role in peacekeeping (making?) there might be a means of employing soft power throughout the continent, like China. That said, I look forward to the government trying to explain our strategic imperative and will make further judgments when (or if) that occurs.

The political decision-making process goes like this:
Q: What do we want to be seen doing?
A: Peacekeeping.
Q: Where do we want to be seen doing it?
A: Someplace unfortunate.  How about Africa?
Q: What do we want to do in Africa?  Do we have anything already in place to leverage?  Give me an estimate of the situation which finds that we should be doing peacekeeping in Africa.

One of the Trudeau government's contributions to peace and stability in Africa is expected to include a revamped training mission in Niger that has been — until now — the purview of Canada's highly secretive special forces, CBC News has learned.

It will be interesting to see if and how we spin a training mission to peace keeping.  I hope CANSOF would be kind enough to lend us some vehicles and boots. And maybe uniforms and chest rigs. Same team right :)

Back