• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Route Letter

Sc011y

Inactive
Reaction score
So I did my first two courses, and am wondering about this route letter.  What exactly is it?  Do I get this money?  Is it money?  I handed it in to the orderly room at the regiment, and was told that it would take a while to process.  Thats all I know about these mysterious things.
???
thanks for the info, and sorry for being clueless.  :p

Are you talking about the Route Letter or the Travel Claim?  The Route Letter is what starts and ends your pay.  Were you paid while you were away this summer?
The travel claim is the one that you filled out the intinerary for.  Yes, your BOR will process that and you will get your money for travel and incidentals.

I guess it must have been the travel claim them.  I'm just remembering the thing that seemed odd, there was a sheet on the back that looked like a pay stub, it said I would be getting like 400 bucks...some of the other guys's said they would be getting like 600.

One thing about current travel claims is they are not fair (or maybe too fair).

Two members leave Gagetown for Saint Jean for their SLC, same day, partake in the course and return the same day.  One member gets more on his travel claim.  The reason for this is the member who got more got loaded at the last minute.  Therefore the quote for the air travel (that was waived) was more than the member who was loaded earlier and could book flights sooner.  Both members could claim up to the cost of the flight in mileage but one person had a higher limit and was able to claim more mileage.

What can you draw from this?  All I will say is that it does not seem fair, it rewards the member who is loaded later or waits until the last minute to make travel arrangements.

So yes, it is quite possible people going on the same course from the same unit could have different amounts on their claim.

travel claims can vary  from trip to another trip and from soldier to soldier.

trip from toronto to gagetown
samples way  of getting there
air ( did the unit order the tickets, or did you pay  for the tickets )
service air no frills flight,  you can get more to claim, meals and other costs.
bus,
dnd road trip, could have to sleep on the green bus no hotel or motel
pomv personal owned motor vech mileage, hi or low rate depending on how many  people are travelling with you. and who gives the okay  for the hi rate.  depending on distance , there is an expected distance that can be driven in one day and motel/hotels bills

there are various ways of getting to the airport
1 family  member drops you off  and picks you up, you can claim milage to and from your house, depending on distance and reasoning you can get milage to the airport, back home and back to the air port and back home again, ( cheaper then long term parking of pomv)
actual milage is require or it is the book rate

2 Taxi service to and from the airport, with receipts ( no receipt 5.00 was the  allowed charge)

3 DND duty  driver drops you off and picks you up no charges allowed  no claim amount allowed

3 drive your own car and put it in long term parking,  this is claimable to a maxium, ( been a while since I have done a DND 99 )

4 public transport to and from the airport,shuttle bus, city  transport, etc,  exact fare and reciepts required

there are 4 various ways of getting to airport and all have various claimable rates  so the money  back can be lower or higher depending in the arrangements

timings of your travel
travel before or during what  meal hours, were meals provided to you on your flight
did you have to buy  your own meals as you travelled
that  all affects the meal claim part.

if meals were included in on your plane or train trip ( over 4 hours by train the entitlement was first class seating which came with a meal)
then you could not claim that  meal

timing you arrive on base or near by, could you check into the base and get quarters?
did you stay  at hotel/motel or did you stay  with a  friend till you could check in the next morning  this could vary  the claim
temp duty  allowance

it can vary  soldier to soldier on the same course.
when he/she left home, wether or not they claimed the FOA( field operations allowance) for the entire period if  or if they did not claim FOA
( some soldiers do not claim FOA as it is a taxable benefit and TD allowance which is lower is not , or they take the TD allowance and pocket the money  and not tell his or her spouse ) { I had officers who were stationed at LFCA HQ who always claimed TD rates because that way  the wife did not know about his extra pocket money , and claims cheques were not to be mailed out if they  were away  when the claim was audited and paid}

FOA is paind on the pay  side of the pay office  so the soldier does not always see it right away  as with the TD allowance it is paid direct no taxes.

there are some of the reasons that  your claim for the same course might be higher or lower then an person's claim off the same course.
other reasons are they  know how to work the system for all the extras they entitled to but you might know of the entitlement.

Longdistance calls home
late night meal when travelling
i will not list them all but that  is a couple of them.
I worked in claims and pay  before I got out of the res.  and learned all sorts of loopholes and extras entitlements that  could be claimed, i could not tell you  them all because it would be a claim by  claim thing.

another reason for differ amounts in claims, could also be related to the FIN CODE  that  was paying for the trip.

i would not max out my  personal claims if the unit was paying the bill , but if another source was paying the bill i would max my  personal claim, save the units travel budget , spend the other units budget.

i am no longer an expert with claims but those reasonalble means to vary one claim over another
just some thoughts here on claims

aaaah...I figured it out now, that amount was my TD, it was just attached to the back of my route letter and travel claim.  OK that makes a bit more sense.  I understand that wont go on a pay stub, correct?  So then when does this money get distributed?  I guess it would just be a matter of all the paper work being organized after a course?

The clerk at your unit will be working on finalizing all of the claims from the summer.  There are probably quite a few and it does take some time.  So, most likely in a few weeks (minimum) you will get a deposit into your bank....and that will be what your claim was worth.  :)

Back