• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP VS CEOTP

martr

Inactive
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I have a question about my current situation so I'll start by explaining the situation.

Situation
I'm currently in the late stages of the selection process for ROTP. I have passed the CFAT with a very good result, the medical is almost completed and I have completed the interview and was told I would be highly recommended for ROTP.
However, I was also told that I would be competitive and would have a good chance of obtaining a position through CEOTP.

The Lieutenant(N) performing the interview mentioned that the selection process is in mid-February for ROTP and the second round would be mid-March with the last results/offers going out beginning of April.
He mentioned that should I not get an offer to join as a ROTP OCdt, I could "switch" my application for CEOTP and quite possibly be accepted this way.

I have been thinking about it and CEOTP is actually more in line with what I would like to do.
From what I understand, going through CEOTP would mean that I would complete basic training (possibly as early as May 09, just after the April 09 selection) and then obtain 2Lt pay. Then I would have to continue training and complete my degree within 9 years. As I currently have 54 out of 120 credits, I’m already well on my way to do so. Also, working full time and studying part time already, it wouldn’t be that different from my current situation.

Having 2Lt pay from early on would be considerably better than having OCdt pay for 2 years while I finish my degree.

My questions are these:
If I’m accepted for ROTP in the first or second selection and get an offer, can I still apply/switch my application type to CEOTP once the positions open in April?

Quite frankly, I would rather do CEOTP than ROTP, but I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot by making the application change right away and later learn that I can’t get in through CEOTP and I missed my chance for ROTP.

Also, doing a degree through CEOTP, do the CF pay for your degree the same as through ROTP, this was never made clear to me.

Any thoughts on this would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
Martin

CEOTP is not subsidized education like ROTP. You will have to pay for your courses. You will also be expected to go on courses and deployments / Temporary Duty during your 9 years so getting that degree might not be easy as you think depending upon your occupation and location. Not all postings are close to universities and not all courses you want / need are available on line. Also there are lots more occupations available for ROTP. This year there were only a few occupations open for CEOTP , none for Pilot, and they were very competitive and went fast. I would wait until the first and second ROTP selections are completed and by then the number of CEOTP spots for next fiscal year should be known. If you have questions go see the CFRC again with them and get an answer. Good Luck.

CFR FCS

Thanks for the quick answer! I really appreciate the information!

Through CEOTP, your educational expenses are reimbursed by the CF up to your allowed limit approved in your ILP (Individual Learning Plan).

2fly said:
Through CEOTP, your educational expenses are reimbursed by the CF up to your allowed limit approved in your ILP (Individual Learning Plan).
Correct. I have 2 years remaining on my degree that will be fully reimbursed by the Queen, according to my ILP. I believe the catch is that they will no subsidize full time studies any longer (though I am going to be trying to get around that in a few months).

If I were you, I'd take ROTP. Get the degree out of the way, and once you do your 2Lt. pay will be considerably higher than mine. Once you work up to an operational tempo you will find it hard to find the time, let alone the motivation, to take two years worth of courses via correspondence.

Astrodog, are you an internal applicant or are you a CEOTP off of the street?

CFR FCS said:
This year there were only a few occupations open for CEOTP , none for Pilot, and they were very competitive and went fast.

Just to clarify, your question implies that no CEOTP spots remain...  Or am I reading into "went very fast" too much? The CFRC just confirmed some do still remain in the Combat Arms (and that of course  it would all refresh in April). 

Thanks!

Back