• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP incorrect degree...

Tuna

Inactive
Reaction score
I have searched this subject and it was made clear that my chances were hurt when trying to get in as an engineer officer with a degree that is not in engineering. However, that (from what I drew from it) was for DEO. My question here would be "Is it possible at all for one to enroll in ROTP as an engineer officer, while obtaining a degree that is not in the feild of engineering?"

So you want to know if you can be an engineer with a degree that doesn't qualify you to be an engineer?

The preferred and acceptable degrees for each trades is not dependent on entry plan, AFAIK.

jeffb said:
So you want to know if you can be an engineer with a degree that doesn't qualify you to be an engineer?

Yes, I have heard that there have been engineer officers with business degrees that have had no trouble.

So my hopes of being CELE are not dashed yet.  I'm hoping my previous experience is taken into account too.

10 years ago or so, I was accepted into ROTP Airfield Engineering while taking Forestry...  anything is possible....

http://www.forces.ca/interactive/rmc/kingston/index.html

This has information on which degrees are needed for which jobs.

For the most part,if you want to be an engineering officer of any sort in the CF, you have to have an engineering degree.  It need not necessarily be related your engineering occupation (e.g. there have been Naval Technical Officers with degrees in Agricultural Engineering), but an engineering degree nonetheless.  However, there are a limited number of non-engineering degrees that are acceptable for engineering officer occupations.  For example, a degree in Physics or Computer Science will qualify for certain engineering occupations.    Although I have known several engineers with MBAs, they were all engineers first.  I have never heard of an engineering officer in the CF with only a business degree.

Pusser said:
I have never heard of an engineering officer in the CF with only a business degree.

If by Business Degree you mean MBA than no, there wont be an engineering officer with just an MBA. You do not even qualify to start an MBA without a bachelors degree. It doesn't matter what bachelors, you simply has to have one to do an MBA.

Edited to add: Whoops Necro-bump. Sorry!

Fiera said:
If by Business Degree you mean MBA than no, there wont be an engineering officer with just an MBA. You do not even qualify to start an MBA without a bachelors degree. It doesn't matter what bachelors, you simply has to have one to do an MBA.

Edited to add: Whoops Necro-bump. Sorry!

That and you can't read.  What Pusser actually said and what you pulled out of it are two different things.

MJP said:
That and you can't read.  What Pusser actually said and what you pulled out of it are two different things.

Plus what Pusser said did not exactly match my question, I was very vague when I said "business degree" and I understand the confusion but what I was referring to was a bachelor's degree in international business to be specific

Tuna said:
Plus what Pusser said did not exactly match my question, I was very vague when I said "business degree" and I understand the confusion but what I was referring to was a bachelor's degree in international business to be specific

I was talking to Fiera...

Fiera said:
If by Business Degree you mean MBA than then no, there won't be an engineering officer with just an MBA. You do not even qualify to start an MBA without a bachelors degree. ...
There are undergraduate business degrees.  Why would you assume "only a buisness degree" to mean "only an MBA"?

You also don't need a Bachelor's degree to get into an MBA program... some accredited university's will, on occasion, accept people with the right work/life/leadership experience, although it's becoming less and less common.

Actually, I can read just fine thank you and I would appreciate the same courtesy I show to you to be given to me as well instead of immediately launching into insults.

I can accept that I am mistaken. I have yet to come across a BA in Business while searching through degree programs. It could be as simple as its not something that was/is offered locally at the time I was looking. At the time of my post, I was only aware of an MBA as a Business degree with one university offering an Accounting degree with as sub focus in Management (while business related, I wouldn't and didn't consider this a Business Degree). The requirement for admittance to the universities I have viewed for an MBA has been a 4 year Bachelor degree. This is not always the case, so be it, thank you for the clarification.

To reiterate, based on my understanding at the time I made the post, my response to what Pusser said was relevant; I was simply missing some information. My apologies and thank you for the clarification; this gives me a few more avenues to look into by looking farther away from home.

As for the grammatical mix up in my previous post, I can see I also made a second one. I'm afraid that happens when tired. It made sense when I read it back at the time, and the spell checker won't catch it since the spelling is accurate.

CDN Aviator, is there something wrong with trying to be considerate of others? Or is it acknowledgement of my error and being grateful for the opportunity to clarify the background of my statement and for the additional information that draws the sarcastic response?

A question was asked of me, I answered it.

Fiera said:
As for the grammatical mix up in my previous post, I can see I also made a second one. I'm afraid that happens when tired. It made sense when I read it back at the time, and the spell checker won't catch it since the spelling is accurate.

Two more spelling mistakes and you're getting a recorded warning young miss!

Fiera said:
CND Aviator, is there something wrong with trying to be considerate of others? Or is it acknowledgement of my error and being grateful for the opportunity to clarify the background of my statement and for the additional information that draws the sarcastic response?

A question was asked of me, I answered it.

make that ONE more  :threat:

Back