• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMS Clerk Trade

DarkRomeo88

Inactive
Reaction score
hello I was just wondering if there was any information on the RMS clerk Trade in regards to an OT. where the trade is splitting i was wondering if it is still possible to get into that trade now or if it is closed unitl the spliting has finished. thanks

Good question.  Hopefully it is still possible as I have 2 members with their files into the PSO now.

I believe those in the pipeline will be asked for a preference.  I do not think they are shutting down.  They do have to place current RMS into the two new trades though,  so that is the priority.

What's old is new once again  ;D.

The Navy NETs 'intergrated' then reversed that.  AVN Tech took in AWS Tech, which now is again a separate MOSID.  Now this in the Log/admin world.

Just like bell bottoms and pin-stripe jeans...wait long enough and it will come back in style. 

It's not stopping them looking at the process of doing the same to the Maritime Engineering Trades (MSE,ET,HT). 

It's going to be a  :trainwreck:

BAH!  Why learn from someone else's mistakes when you can enjoy the fun of making your own??  :blotto:

Yes and no.  They took 3 trades and jammed them together and are now splitting them into 2 trades.  The new trades are not going to be the exact same as the old Admin and Fin trades were (CEP Tech was in reality elliminated with the merge.  Even when I raised it as a point of training on the courses in Borden I got the death stare and was advised that it would never be included).  HR Admin will have admin and pay on their plate this time and will initiate claims.  FS Fin will be geared more towards Policy Compliance (formerly called audits which is now a bad word because it scares people) along with cashier, NPF and claims finalization.  Generalizing here as there is more to it but they are the basics that most people outside the trades will see. Admin will be everywhere while Fin will be more centralized to large bases, HQs and Ships.

This is a process that is expected to take 3 to 5 more years to have everyone sorted into positions that match their new trades.  Waiting now to see which trade they decide for me as I opted to let the miltary pick.

I am more interested in the training aspect as they are going with a new format of RQs.  Instead of QL3 and QL5 there will be an RQ(Cpl) and QL6 will be RQ(Sgt) or whatever names they finally decide on.  Mixed in will be EQs (Experience) and SQs (Specialty). 

New trades stand up in Oct so the fun really starts then.

Eye In The Sky said:
What's old is new once again  ;D.

The Navy NETs 'intergrated' then reversed that.  AVN Tech took in AWS Tech, which now is again a separate MOSID.  Now this in the Log/admin world.

Just like bell bottoms and pin-stripe jeans...wait long enough and it will come back in style.

You forgot Army Sigs, biggest trainwreck of them all.

CEP Tech "remained" in the form of RMS clerks with the RMS sp to Engr Ops course.  From the above description, the new HR Admin will be able to continue filling the role with the appropriate specialty qual.

I never had the opportunity to be either log or fin when I was a clk, but I can see why this would be something they would want to do again. With so many ins and outs in both the fin and log world, it would be very beneficial to have certain person employed in this positions specialized in them.

But, in the same token, I enjoyed having knowledge in all aspects of the trade. It made the trade a lot more versatile with the ability to always do something different.

Personally, I don't think I could focus on one area. The monotony would get to me having to do the same tasks day after day.

I'm very much interested (and concerned) about how this is going to be applied to the Naval Reserve. (they haven't yet come up with a plan). Right now, our staff of clerks is small enough. Now I have to devide them up between HR and Fin? I can almost gurantee that once my clerks have been transfered to their new trades, we aren't actually going to change the way we do business. I imagine I'll have 1 Fin and 2 HR, but we will probably end up employing the Fin clerk as a cell clerk most of the time.

MCG said:
CEP Tech "remained" in the form of RMS clerks with the RMS sp to Engr Ops course.  From the above description, the new HR Admin will be able to continue filling the role with the appropriate specialty qual.

When did they start that course? 99 to 01 was when I asked and was told it wouldn't happen (I was working CE at the time and the clerk designated to deploy with the engrs if it happened).

Lumber - we have a 5 to 2 ratio for Class B and add the class A it is more like a 10 to 3 ratio so if you only have 3 you are probably right.  Cross employing won't be an issue for a while until we start to get the new clerks that have only trained on one side. 

CountDC said:
When did they start that course? 99 to 01 was when I asked and was told it wouldn't happen (I was working CE at the time and the clerk designated to deploy with the engrs if it happened).
It has been around since at least 2005, because I recall sending clerks at that time.  I think there is one serial a year.

CountDC said:
Yes and no.  They took 3 trades and jammed them together and are now splitting them into 2 trades.  The new trades are not going to be the exact same as the old Admin and Fin trades were (CEP Tech was in reality elliminated with the merge.  Even when I raised it as a point of training on the courses in Borden I got the death stare and was advised that it would never be included).  HR Admin will have admin and pay on their plate this time and will initiate claims.  FS Fin will be geared more towards Policy Compliance (formerly called audits which is now a bad word because it scares people) along with cashier, NPF and claims finalization.  Generalizing here as there is more to it but they are the basics that most people outside the trades will see. Admin will be everywhere while Fin will be more centralized to large bases, HQs and Ships.

It will be interesting to see how this will work in ships.  Prior to amalgamation, all things with dollar signs resided in the Pay Office.  After amalgamation, it was only a question of assignment and folks (i.e. junior pay writer) could be rotated through the Pay Office.  Now it looks like two trades will be covering the Pay Office responsibilities.  Will the Pay Office have a P2 Fin Clk and a LS HR Clk?  Will pay simply be sent to the Ship's Office and the Pay Office renamed?  It should also be interesting to see how things turn out considering that the Stwds handle shipboard NPF...

CountDC said:
Lumber - we have a 5 to 2 ratio for Class B and add the class A it is more like a 10 to 3 ratio so if you only have 3 you are probably right.  Cross employing won't be an issue for a while until we start to get the new clerks that have only trained on one side.

Well, unless I run over the XO's dog, I should be gone by then!

When the decision to split the trade was taken, had consideration been given to creating sub-occupations as opposed to conducting a complete split?

checked and word is the CEP course is no longer run.  There isn't any on the schedule for this year.  Supposedly they stopped it as there were no SMEs left to run it.  It is one of the questions that has been raised though as clerks are still expected to be with CE.

MCG - there were 5 options looked at in the end for serious consideration and this is the one that was settled on.

Estimated reserve split numbers on the army side is 748 HRA, 480 FSA.  Reg F are supposed to know which trade they are in March while Res find out in Aug. After 31 Oct RMS no longer exist. 

Should be interesting with training new clerks - RQ Pte is estimated at 65-70 days and plan is to run the first one in 64 days.

Yeah ships will be interesting.  Last I heard consideration was that the pay will be handled by the clerks in the SHO and they will have a P2 for the Finance office. 

Back