• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"RMC to run up $415K tab on bar renovations"

Michael O'Leary said:
There isn't.  Defence Construction Canada would determine what aspects of the project can be paid for with public funds, and what portion must be paid by non-public funds (i.e., the Mess).  DCC would then manage it as a single project.

From my experience on mess committees, you've got it right.  This is probably a mixed bag as far as funding goes.  Generally speaking, infrastructure (or anything "permanently attached" like A/C units) has to be covered by public funds.  This includes exterior structural, HVAC, electrical distribution, major plumbing and items like wheelchair access.  NPF covers items such as carpet, appliances, appliance-specific plumbing and electrical, furniture, internal (gyproc) walls, stage lighting, etc.

For smaller jobs, like installing stage lighting for example, the fact that it's covered by NPF funds doesn't always mean that getting the job done is a fait accompli.  Getting membership approval and CO approval on minutes is easy - but for installation, CE usually has to do the hookups, and the messes are so far down on their priority lists it's not funny.

jeffb said:
My understanding was that the mess in Gagetown had to shell out NPF funds because it was the area behind the bar and only because it was that area.
So goes the story.  However, there are larger structural things with the water issues & apparently that is still being dumped on NPF to pay.

PMedMoe said:
This money was more than likely budgeted for and spent before the other cuts came out.  Slow news day indeed.  ::)

Related to that is when the project was tendered, how many companies bid on the contract, how long before someone was awarded the bid and how long it took the winning company to get its personnel and equipment ready to start work.  I would also point out that while 415K may sound like a lot of money, when you factor in things like wages, equipment, equipment rental, material, etc, you can go threw 415k pretty quickly; and that's if everything goes according to plan!

Back