• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMC Cadet Lee Burym Killed in Accident

Big Foot

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=1832
News Release
RMC Cadet Dies in Accident

RMC 05.12 - November 27, 2005

KINGSTON, ON - Royal Military College Officer Cadet Lee Burym was killed today as a result of a tobogganing accident at approximately 5 a.m. on Fort Henry Hill in Kingston, On. Next of kin have been notified.

Officer Cadet Burym, 18, of Danbury, Saskatchewan, was a first year cadet in science and engineering.

No further details can be made available at this time pending the outcome of a police investigation into this tragic accident. The Kingston Police are in charge of the investigation.

Condolences to the family.

I remember when the snow fences there used to be made of wood.  I was tobogganing there with some friends from work and one guy rammed into on and had to get a good 60 stitches.

Condolences and prayers go to Burym's family. He was in my flight and I think on the whole it's hitting people hard.

It's sad it had to happen to him.

My thoughts to the family, friends, and especially Tango flight. It's going to be a difficult time here at RMC over the coming days and weeks. Today we lost one of our own and the RMC family has been saddened by this tragic accident.

Blow out, you bugles over the rich dead!
There's none of these so lonely and poor of old,
But, dying, has made us rarer gifts than gold

Very well said, eliminator. I am very certain the entire wing shares your sentiments. RIP Mr. Burym, you will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family and friends.

Condolences to the family and friends

Blow out, you bugles over the rich dead!
There's none of these so lonely and poor of old,
But, dying, has made us rarer gifts than gold

Haven't been back to SFMA in 6 yrs.....phrase on the Arch?

This is quite sad news. All he wanted to do was have some fun.

May you rest in peace Oct. Burym. 

:salute:

http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=135234&catname=Local+News&classif=News+Alert
Cadet killed in tobogganing accident

By Ian Elliot
Local News - Monday, November 28, 2005 @ 07:00

An 18-year-old first-year student at Royal Military College died in a tobogganing accident early yesterday morning on Fort Henry Hill.

Officer Cadet Lee Jarad Burym, a science and engineering student from Saskatchewan, died around 5 a.m. yesterday after he and five other cadets went for a late-night sledding party on the hill east of the college campus.

Police say Burym went down the steep hill, which is popular with sledders and snowboarders, alone in the dark. His companions became alarmed when he did not reappear at the top of the hill a few minutes later.

They began searching for him and found the cadet unresponsive and lying next to some trees at the bottom of the hill.

Police and emergency crews were called but he was pronounced dead at Kingston General Hospital. Police say he died of a broken neck.

His father Eugene, in Sturgis, Sask., a town of 627 northeast of Yorkton, was in shock.

He described his son as "a top-notch kid" who had a dream of becoming a mechanical engineer and following the military career he had started as a distinguished air cadet while a student at Sturgis Composite High School.

"His plans were good," he said, sadly, "but that doesn't much matter now."

He said his son was well known in the rural community and made friends quickly at the college.

"He had a lot of friends," said his father. "Everyone knows him here, and there. They all liked him."

The elder Burym said investigators had reassured him that foul play was not suspected in the death, nor was there any indication that his son was intoxicated at the time.

The accident happened just hours after the College's annual Christmas Ball on Saturday night.

College spokeswoman Lieut. Sue Stefko said the accident is under investigation by Kingston Police.

A military chaplain was made available to talk to the other sledders who were with Burym when he died, Stefko said.

The sledding party was not an authorized college event, nor was it a part of the annual ball that ended hours earlier.

The accident was reported to the rest of the RMC student body by college officials yesterday.

The school's flags will probably fly at half-staff today in remembrance of Burym, she said.

"He was so young."

Kingston Police investigators called the incident "a tragic accident."

The steepness of Fort Henry Hill has caused accidents in the past, even during daylight. Last year, a young girl was taken to hospital after crashing into a tree on the hill. Some parts of the property have signs prohibiting sledding, although they are rarely heeded.
Reproduced under the Fair Dealings Provisions of the Copyright Act, RSC 1985

RIP OCdt Burym...I didn't know him but he was in one of the other IAP platoons with me this summer.  By the way...off topic...the little saluting guy that everybody puts after their posts...he's saluting with the worng hand. :salute:

jwsteele said:
......   By the way...off topic...the little saluting guy that everybody puts after their posts...he's saluting with the worng hand. :salute:
No he's not...he's one of your DS and he has eyes in the back of his head....wright!

RIP Ocdt.

I still can't believe that just like that Lee Burym is no longer with us :'(.
I have spent many a summer on course with him, SLC 2K4 will be the most memorable.
All my love to his family and loved ones, this is a tragic loss.

Good Bye Burym, you will be greatly missed
:salute:
( I know this is a left handed salute but at least it is a salute, it's the thought that counts )

My condolences go out to his family and friends.

I gotta wonder though, what was he doing tabogganing at 05:00, in the dark?

out having a good time with his frends.
althoe be it at an odd hour..

Thoughts to family and friends. RIP.

Back