• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there, I just thought I would open a can of worms here...........

What do reservists think about training with reg force prior to, and during deployments? Are they up to the same standard? Should the Reserve Qualification Levels be recognized as equivalent, etc.

Chimo!

Well for one, reserves drop a rank, so cpl is a spr, mcpl is a cpl so on so forth.
As qualification levels go that pretty much evens it up. The main difference would be experiance because regs obviously get more than reserves.

CHIMO!

I second that brother.  Are they as good as they think they are?  I believe, before a reservist comes on tour he/she should go through lets say BATTLE SCHOOL.  To ensure they are up to the standard.  And not just goign on tour forthe CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Cotts said:
Hi there, I just thought I would open a can of worms here...........

What do reservists think about training with reg force prior to, and during deployments? Are they up to the same standard? Should the Reserve Qualification Levels be recognized as equivalent, etc.

Chimo!

Been there and done it,and have dropped rank,and NO OUR QUALIFICATIONS   should not be excepted as equal!
In the real Engineer world we Militia can't compare due to our training unless you have many,many posting's  with a Reg. Force Unit or Reg. Force Courses under your belt.

So a bit of advice to you young Sappers,keep your mouth shut, listen and learn and work hard and that is how you earn respect with the Reg.Engineers.

Thats how you earn respect and seen as an equal.

This may sound harsh but that's life.

Its common sense about who has more experience.

But! Surprisingly we quickly realise that full time soldiers may not be any better at soldiering  once the reserves come up to speed. This is a key factor which - if we had more $ to activate reserves would take pressure off the rank and file regulars.

If you compare the great strides the Army made in WW1 and WW2 and the many rejects that couldn't handle it in Korea - we see that the main need is talented and motivated soldiers and officers. Peacetime tends to let them avoid the harsh light of deployments.

Another thing we do not do is annual testing for skills - the Brits do and its very popular because they get $$$$$$$$ for solid performance throughout the year and at their skill at arms-trades test.

All leaders should be able to write company level orders and all sergeants should be tested on platoon Sgt duties etc.

Hey Mr Martin - is anyone listening?

The bill comes due periodically - Hong Kong, Dieppe, 1 Mar 1917 at Vimy Ridge ------------- lets hope we wake up.

Back