• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists Job Protection Superthread

GO!!! said:
Why is it unreasonable to expect that someone with legislated job protection should be mandated to participate in training events? Are'nt we better off with 100 guys that show up than 200 that exist only on paper?

It's not, and we are. However, you could've summed up your original post (two up) with your last sentence above, Not the post you started with

recceguy said:
It's not, and we are. However, you could've summed up your original post (two up) with your last sentence above, Not the post you started with

Right.

You are the one who persists in finding a militia-hating bogeyman under the bed in every one of my posts.

Just because I write it does not mean it is intended to subvert and trivialise one component of the CF.

Why don't you try reading posts objectively, responding to the contents of the post instead of the writer.

Gentlemen, you are in agreement here.................

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Gov't embraces job security issue
Joe Couture, Regina Leader-Post, 25 Jan 07
Article Link

Reservists in Saskatchewan will soon be free to serve their country without fear of losing their jobs.

The Saskatchewan government announced Wednesday it will work with the Opposition to develop legislation to ensure job security for reservists who volunteer for duty or training, protection which is not currently offered in any province except Nova Scotia.

Brad Wall, the leader of the Opposition Saskatchewan Party, announced last week he would introduce private member's legislation concerning the issue, and now the government is officially getting behind the idea.

"We really support this issue. We think it's an important job that's done in our society and we're committed to ensuring that Canadian Forces reservists in Saskatchewan are afforded job security," Labour Minister David Forbes said Wednesday on the phone from a meeting of federal, provincial and territorial labour ministers in Fredericton, N.B.

Wall said it's a positive move for the government to get behind the idea, as long as certain key principles are included, specifically employment protection, protection of student status, and protection of seniority for union members.

Forbes said it may be possible for something to be done at a national level, so he plans to raise the issue at the labour ministers' meeting. Wall said he encouraged Forbes to do so, noting a newspaper in New Brunswick recently featured the story of a reservist who had lost his job with a Crown corporation in that province because he volunteered for duty.

"If it gets national attention and other provinces look at this as well ... that's very positive," Wall said.

The government may choose to support Wall's private member's bill or introduce legislation of its own. Forbes said he's not sure when the government will have a concrete plan in place. He hopes to move as quickly as possible, but also wants to ensure that all bases are covered, he said.

Forbes said his department will be consulting in the next few weeks with stakeholders including the chamber of commerce, the Canadian Federation of Independent Business and the Federation of Labour.

Wall said his office is already consulting with stakeholders, including employers. He added he hopes that compensation for employers who face interruption might be considered. A private member's bill cannot introduce initiatives that require budget spending, so if compensation is included in the bill, the legislation will have to be introduced by the government.

Forbes said both parties were lobbied by the same reservists group in December, and he thought the idea was a good one at that time, and asked his department to look at it.

In response to a suggestion that the Opposition "got the jump on" the government, Forbes conceded that would be a fair assumption. However, he said his party is not embarrassed by having not raised the issue first.

"This is the role of the Opposition -- to bring forward ideas," Forbes said. "I think the key thing is, if we focus on what's best for the reservists and job security, that's No. 1."

Read it this morning, it's good that the Reserves are finally on the Radar, but if they handle it poorly it could become a problem. I would to see that hiring a reservist becomes a benefit to a company, through grants, tax breaks etc.

I agree, if you look at the situation in many states in the U.S. job protection legislation can be a mixed blessing. Right now, at least in Calgary, having service experience is seen as an asset. I wouldn't want the fact that I am a reservist to hinder me from getting a job.

PhilB said:
I agree, if you look at the situation in many states in the U.S. job protection legislation can be a mixed blessing. Right now, at least in Calgary, having service experience is seen as an asset. I wouldn't want the fact that I am a reservist to hinder me from getting a job.

As much as I'm for job protection in principle, you're right - some Reservists in the US say companies (esp. smaller ones) won't hire them if they know they'll have military commitments.  Agreed that tax breaks, $ for hiring replacements, etc. may be better way to go.

milnewstbay said:
Forbes said both parties were lobbied by the same reservists group in December, and he thought the idea was a good one at that time, and asked his department to look at it.

I thought you were not permitted to lobby Government at any level when you were a member of the CF?

Can I form a lobby group to push for better benefits?

GO!!! said:
I thought you were not permitted to lobby Government at any level when you were a member of the CF?

Can I form a lobby group to push for better benefits?

Good point - I haven't seen rules in writing, but it makes sense in principle.

Would that sort of restriction also apply to, say, honourary colonels, or Regimental Senate members who are not members of the CF?  I think these would also count as "Reservists" lobbying, even if they're not officially enrolled Reservists?

Before jumping on the bandwagon, I would have to see the fine print when and if this government initiative comes to fruition.

As stated earlier, some employer's will consider having a Reservist in their employee as a hindrance. The incentives to the employer will have to be substantial.

It's a policy that's long over do but will come with problems both for the employer and the Reservist.

Having worked in both salaried and hourly positions I don't see how this would be a detriment to a company.  Of course it would need to be planned right, but given that it is both the ruling, and opposition parties in agreement I'm betting it will be.

I hope I don't get a kick in the rear for this, but I don't want to see tax breaks or other financial incentives as part of any law.  I don't want to see Reservists discriminated against, or for, available positions in the workplace.

With some flexibility on the part of the company, as well as the Reservist, I don't see this as something that can't work well. 

Well it is a real cost for an employer when their employees disappear for extended periods of time, helping to cover that cost will help prevent discrimination.

This is something that should of happened long ago . I just hope that this can be a nationwide statement for Reservist .  I am a firm believer that if a Reservist wants to serve there country they shouldn't have to worry about losing there job while serving there country  here is hoping that its something that can catch on

I read that something similiar is in place in NS. Anyone know what the feedback has been from that province or how it is setup?

GUNS said:
....some employer's will consider having a Reservist in their employee as a hindrance.

Isn't it considered a hinderance by some already.

Over the years back in Canada, I heard many horror stories about Militia guys being harrassed by management (this included smaller private companies and the federal/provincial government) about weekends, courses and annual Milcons. One friend of mine was once even referred to as a Boy Scout! Another was told his Militia time was as important as much as flipping burgers at McDonalds.

I think thats a jack attitude, and hopefully any protection will be welcomed. I call this move long over due and coming of age.

Regards,

Wes

I was glad to get out of there!

Wesley (Over There) said:
. One friend of mine was once even referred to as a Boy Scout! Another was told his Militia time was as important as much as flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Arrrrgh just reading that caused an instinctive desire to throat punch somebody!!!!

According to local information news station CJOB
http://www.cjob.com/news/index.aspx?src=loc&mc=local&rem=57406
Manitoba will be following Sask and NS.

Here's the press release from the MB Government web site.

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?archive=&item=1081

January 31, 2007

MANITOBA MOVES TO PROTECT RESERVISTS' JOBS WHILE THEY SERVE

Labour and Immigration Minister Nancy Allan announced today the province will be taking steps to protect reservists’ civilian jobs and benefits when they serve their country.

Amendments to the Employment Standards Act will be introduced in the upcoming session that would ensure reservists civilian jobs and benefits will be waiting for them when their service is completed.

“Our province respects reservists in Canada’s armed forces and values the important and often dangerous job they do,” said Allan.  “Reservists who leave their jobs to perform military service should be able to return to their civilian jobs after service.”

Minister Allan noted the Labour Management Review Committee made up of business and labour representatives will be asked for its advice in consultation with stakeholders on the details of the changes. 

Sorry, folks, my bad - already being discussed here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/56502.0.html

One more up to the plate - when's it Ontario's turn???? 

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Updated labour rules promise job protection, unpaid leave
CBC News online, 31 Jan 07
Article Link

Workers in Manitoba could find new job protections and more unpaid sick and family-related days when the province revamps its Employment Standards Code, the first such update in 30 years.

Labour Minister Nancy Allan said Wednesday that the province will introduce a number of amendments to the code in the upcoming legislative session. The changes are expected to come into effect April 30.

"We decided what we needed to do was have a major review of the legislation," she said.

Manitoba hopes to follow Nova Scotia's lead and help reservists with legislation that protects their civilian jobs and benefits while they perform military service.

"They deserve job protection," Allan said. "They're risking their jobs and they're risking their lives, and so I think that they deserve to have their jobs and their benefits in place when they come back to Canada."

The province also hopes to protect young workers by restricting work hours for those under 16 years old, as well as introduce legislation prohibiting those under 18 from working alone at night.

Other changes to the code include:

* Better statutory holiday pay for part-time workers
    * Three new unpaid days off for illness or family responsibilities
    * Three new unpaid bereavement days
    * Termination notice rules that are graduated, based on workers' years of service

Some employers have already expressed concerns about the graduated termination notice rules and the unpaid days, said Shannon Martin, Manitoba director of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business.

"Depending on your years of service, you may have to give an employee up to eight weeks notice before terminating that employee," he said Wednesday.

"On the other hand, an employee, regardless of their terms of service, still only has to give two weeks notice."

Unpaid leave could worsen labour shortage: Martin

Martin said with Manitoba's labour shortage, the addition of more unpaid days off could be bad news for business.

"The vast majority of them already offer their employees flexible time to address their family needs. What they take exception to is when government imposes those demands on them," he said.

"Being forced to give employees unpaid leave, you're only going to add to the fact that we have a productivity problem."

Allan countered that other provinces with labour shortages offer the same amount of unpaid leave to their workers, and both employers and employees have managed to cope.

"If your employees know that if they're having a problem in regards to coming into work — because they have a sick child or they have a serious illness in the family — they can be honest with their employer and explain to their employer that they need a day off and they don't have to phone in to work and lie," she said.

"I think it'll be a healthier work environment for both the employer and the employee."

Details of the changes to the code will be reviewed by the province's Labour Management Review Committee, a group made up of business and labour representatives.

One more up to the plate - when's it Ontario's turn???? 

Updated labour rules promise job protection, unpaid leave
CBC News online, 31 Jan 07
Article Link

Workers in Manitoba could find new job protections and more unpaid sick and family-related days when the province revamps its Employment Standards Code, the first such update in 30 years.

Labour Minister Nancy Allan said Wednesday that the province will introduce a number of amendments to the code in the upcoming legislative session. The changes are expected to come into effect April 30.

"We decided what we needed to do was have a major review of the legislation," she said.

Manitoba hopes to follow Nova Scotia's lead and help reservists with legislation that protects their civilian jobs and benefits while they perform military service.

"They deserve job protection," Allan said. "They're risking their jobs and they're risking their lives, and so I think that they deserve to have their jobs and their benefits in place when they come back to Canada."

The province also hopes to protect young workers by restricting work hours for those under 16 years old, as well as introduce legislation prohibiting those under 18 from working alone at night.

Other changes to the code include:

* Better statutory holiday pay for part-time workers
    * Three new unpaid days off for illness or family responsibilities
    * Three new unpaid bereavement days
    * Termination notice rules that are graduated, based on workers' years of service

Some employers have already expressed concerns about the graduated termination notice rules and the unpaid days, said Shannon Martin, Manitoba director of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business.

"Depending on your years of service, you may have to give an employee up to eight weeks notice before terminating that employee," he said Wednesday.

"On the other hand, an employee, regardless of their terms of service, still only has to give two weeks notice."

Unpaid leave could worsen labour shortage: Martin

Martin said with Manitoba's labour shortage, the addition of more unpaid days off could be bad news for business.

"The vast majority of them already offer their employees flexible time to address their family needs. What they take exception to is when government imposes those demands on them," he said.

"Being forced to give employees unpaid leave, you're only going to add to the fact that we have a productivity problem."

Allan countered that other provinces with labour shortages offer the same amount of unpaid leave to their workers, and both employers and employees have managed to cope.

"If your employees know that if they're having a problem in regards to coming into work — because they have a sick child or they have a serious illness in the family — they can be honest with their employer and explain to their employer that they need a day off and they don't have to phone in to work and lie," she said.

"I think it'll be a healthier work environment for both the employer and the employee."

Details of the changes to the code will be reviewed by the province's Labour Management Review Committee, a group made up of business and labour representatives.

Back