• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists: Civilian or Military?

NFLD Sapper said:
Don't forget Class B, I'm on the clock 24/7. I have to sign a SOU if over 30 days stating that I can be deployed while carrying out my duties......

Deployed on TD within Canada...there are limits to the TOS for Class B that Reg Force doesn't have.  :)

I recall this being a bit of a discussion on SLC back in '02.  Points that stick out from that discussion, or what I recall from it are...

- Reservists swear an CF Oath of Allegiance, same as Reg Force mbrs.

- Depending on the Class of Reserve Service, PRes mbr's are subject to the CSD as per QR & O, Vol II, Chap 102, Disciplinary Jurisdiction, Article 102.01(c) [as always, please read to the end *Notes*].  It was suggested that while Reservists are not true 'civilians', they are acting as members of the CF anytime they are subject to the CSD. 

DIN link:  http://admfincs.mil.ca/qr_o/vol2/ch102_e.asp#102.01

InterNet link:  http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-02/doc/chapter-chapitre-102.pdf

Well, I was sworn in today so I'm now a member of the air reserve (PRes) and starting as Class A immediately. :) Happily, I will be working in an environment with both reg and res members and since everyone wears the same uniform, it is impossible to tell which is which. Of course, the newbie doesn't have a uniform yet, so she'll stick out like a sore thumb for a while. lol

milnews.ca said:
Bang on to Tess and all the others reminding folks like this that if you serve, you serve, full stop - unlike a Reg Force Sgt who once told me, "but you're ONLY a Reserve WO"....  ::)

I was similarly challenged by a Reg F Cpl who said "you can't charge me, you're a Reservist".  To which my reply was "Show me in the QR&O where that makes a difference?"

Retired PPCLI CWO Larry Surridge, who has had many, many Rerservists work for and with him both in Canada and abroad, is famous for very astutely saying "There ain't no hatbadge on a helmet."

Celticgirl said:
Well, I was sworn in today so I'm now a member of the air reserve (PRes) and starting as Class A immediately. :) Happily, I will be working in an environment with both reg and res members and since everyone wears the same uniform, it is impossible to tell which is which. Of course, the newbie doesn't have a uniform yet, so she'll stick out like a sore thumb for a while. lol

Congrats, good to have you back!

Dont worry about being able to tell the difference.  It really doesnt matter.  Certainly none of them will care either.  They will ALL just be happy that they have someone to help them get much needed admin done.

Reservists are not civillians. 

As a member of the CF you are a representative at all times and there are a number of countless other reasons. 

pict said:
  Reservists are not civillians. 

As a member of the CF you are a representative at all times and there are a number of countless other reasons.

Correct, Militia pers are not civilians, but as for your 'at all times' sumation, only if he/she is on CL B or CL C Svc does the 24/7 bit apply. Other times when you are attending an authorised parade day/night/wknd/trg activity whilst in and out of uniform within the sign-in period. Also enroute and returning to/from an authorised parade for insurance purposes. Example: if you were in a car accident on the way home or on the way to your parade you may be entitled to workers comp, but not if you were going to the Mess on a day/evening where there was no authorised parade.This topic is covered somewhere in this thread in more detail than this. E.I.T.S. has it covered pretty much with the CSD bit.

Your eagerness is appreciated, as personal discipline and pride is both in and out of uniform. We soldiers (PT or FT) are different then our civvy counterparts in many ways, and this is evident also in many ways, with even in such things as motivation and posture. I had some one say to me once 'I knew you were Army by the way you walked and carried yourself'. I was simply wearing Ray-Bans, a t-shirt and board shorts going to the beach, and I had not shaved in three days.

Regards from yet again another tropical winter's day here in paradise.

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:
Correct, Militia pers are not civilians, but as for your 'at all times' sumation, only if he/she is on CL B or CL C Svc does the 24/7 bit apply. Other times when you are attending an authorised parade day/night/wknd/trg activity whilst in and out of uniform within the sign-in period. Also enroute and returning to/from an authorised parade for insurance purposes. Example: if you were in a car accident on the way home or on the way to your parade you may be entitled to workers comp, but not if you were going to the Mess on a day/evening where there was no authorised parade.This topic is covered somewhere in this thread in more detail than this. E.I.T.S. has it covered pretty much with the CSD bit.

Your eagerness is appreciated, as personal discipline and pride is both in and out of uniform. We soldiers (PT or FT) are different then our civvy counterparts in many ways, and this is evident also in many ways, with even in such things as motivation and posture. I had some one say to me once 'I knew you were Army by the way you walked and carried yourself'. I was simply wearing Ray-Bans, a t-shirt and board shorts going to the beach, and I had not shaved in three days.

Regards from yet again another tropical winter's day here in paradise.

OWDU

Uhm Wes,

WTF are you rambling about???

I think Pict has nailed it.  Once we offer an Oath the service to the crown, we are more than just civvies.

What the hell does traveling to and forth to the CF, mess function, and sloppy weather in Australia got to do with it??

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Uhm Wes,

WTF are you rambling about???

I think Pict has nailed it.  Once we offer an Oath the service to the crown, we are more than just civvies.

Tess, you are preaching to the converted here.

I am in agreeance with him, thats noted in my first sentance. I've done my time in the Militia and Regular Army, and I am a proud Veteran, but if I as a reservist (like I am now) am in the mall on a Saturday, or have a job as a mailman, I am not part of the CSD and am not representing the CF or any military force for that matter.

I thought my 2nd para summed things up.

Cheers,

Wes

Overwatch Downunder said:
Tess, you are preaching to the converted here.

I am in agreeance with him, thats noted in my first sentance. I've done my time in the Militia and Regular Army, and I am a proud Veteran, but if I as a reservist (like I am now) am in the mall on a Saturday, or have a job as a mailman, I am not part of the CSD and am not representing the CF or any military force for that matter.

I thought my 2nd para summed things up.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley,

We are always soldiers.  But you are right, I am preaching to the choir, and doing it with a wee bit of Johny Walker down range.

It's my birthday and this is me reading things too in depth....I am usualluy a Bushmills man, but JW tonight as a gift.

Modrators, please keep an eye on me this eve....

dileas

tess

Tess, well FFS!

Happy Birthday!

You must try and track down some Aussie Bundenburg OP Rum (made from sugar cane), that stuff would have powered a V2 rocket to Ottawa 65 yrs ago.

Be kind to your liver  :nod: .

Cheers,

Wes

Wes,

Don't take three paragraphs to say what one line will. Just saying.

Back