• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

reserves

Mattygu

Inactive
Reaction score
After almost a year of making sure I wanted it and discussing it with my wife and kids, I have decided to join the reserves. My app is almost filled out and  just have to send away for my high school transcripts.  Any suggestions about how to prepare while I wait for everything to come together?

Yes.

Read through all of the existing threads that already tell you how to prepare while you wait for everything to come together.

And good luck.

There are about 1000 threads about this dude. Do a search, check it out.  Go lift weights loose weight eat right and hate bullies.

Also even though there is lots of threads on this subject, fill out the sheets as much as possible especially under "Work Experience"/"Volunteer Work", every little bit helps. Ease off on the beer, workout every second day. Don't try and squeeze by minimum standards, make sure you're in the best shape possible. There will probably be lots of other people applying for the spot as well, and I'm assuming you're a bit older so you're gonna have to put in a bit of extra effort to come out on top. Every little bit counts, good luck!  :)

Perhaps I can get my question answered in this thread. I am working towards re-applying as a RegF Pilot in one year's time or so. I am wondering if it will be possible to get involved with the Army/Navy Reserves in any meaningful way in the mean time? My application already exists and is fairly recent/complete/competitive, and this way I will be able to get the BMOQ done sooner, which will be transferable to RegF if I take on a full-time officer position later. My concern is the time frame. A year or 1.5 yr doesn't sound like quite enough to justify training for a trade which I won't necessarily stick with for RegF. I would not want to waste the CF's time, money, and effort. I am, however, interested in getting involved with the CF somehow while I await to reapply. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

Mattygu said:
ok thanks. I'm 39 and not expecting it to be easy.

It won't be....but it is not an insurmountable challenge.  I'm almost 41, and thought I was in good shape to start basic....I wasn't.  Lucky for me, I don't have pounds to lose, so I adapted quickly.  One thing that will help a lot is practice running....in short spurts.  I found there was many periods of waiting around/low movement....followed by NCO's screaming at you to move yourself (possibly plus gear) somewhere else extremely quickly. If I had to do it over again...I would practice doing lots of sprints, and sprinting for as long as I can along with long distance running.

Ok thanks for the running advice. I knew that push ups and sit up (especially sit ups) I have to work on along with running basically getting in better shape than I am now which never hurts.

Running, push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and more running. On BMQ you run EVERYWHERE. If you're not running, you are marching.

Practice doing these. Look up the push up triangle, or the 100 pushup challenge. Get outside and run your a** off.

As for being older, don't worry. There is some older guys on my BMQ and they're keeping up with us young fellas.

Good luck!

I'm just waiting for my school transcripts before I put in my application, my wife and my kids are on board with me joining the reserves, and I know that it's not a mid life crisis thing. Is there anyone else out there who knows that they needed to join but just couldn't completly explain why?

Back