• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves In Toronto

Astrodog

Inactive
Reaction score
Howdy All,

Just found out that I didn't make the cut for ROTP - pilot this time around; so looking at improving my application. I would like to help myself out by joining a reserve unit. I looked up the list of reserve units in Toronto, and not surprisingly there are a bunch of them! I also spoke with my file manager (for my rotp app) at CFRC London and got the impression that reserves recruiting was a touch more 'informal' than the reg force process. The catch is that I am also a varsity athlete; so I would essentially be unable to meet a few of the 'miniumum' commitments (a weeknight and 2wknds a month) as I practice every night and compete every weekend from september - late march. Would a reserve unit be willing to bring me on for the summer or let me participate whenever I am able? Does anybody have any contacts/suggestions for either the Toronto or London areas?

http://www.army.dnd.ca/48highlanders/recruiting.html

And you won't want to even poke your head in elsewhere.... :D

dileas

tess

Where in TO do you live?  Do you have wheels or rely on TTC?  What are your interests?  Available in TO is infantry, artillery, armoured, combat service support, combat engineering, navy....

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I Live by the University; Bathurst and College area. Stuck relying on TTC! I have no particular preference, obviously would like to join an Air reserve unit but that seems impossible given my lack of personal wheeled transport! Just looking for something fun, challenging and a unit that might work with air elements just to get a taste of the action from both ends if possible.

I'd go for a unit out of FYA - they have 709 comms sqn (communications stuff), Royal Regiment of Canada (infantry stuff), Queen's York Rangers (armoured recce), Toronto Scottish (infantry types), there may be another infantry unit... brain freeze...

I'm not familiar with the transit system, but here are the 3 armouries and one HMCS (if the navy floats your boat)

Moss Park Armouries
130 Queen E (at the corner of Jarvis and Queen E)
Toronto, ON
M5A 1R9
> 48th Highlanders (Infantry)
> The Queen’s Own Rifles (Infantry)
> 7th Toronto Regiment RCA (Artillery)
> 25 Field Ambulance (Medical)

Denison Armoury
1 Yukon Lane (By the old Downsview airport)
Toronto, ON
M3M 3J5
> The Governor General's Horse Guards (Armoured Reconnaissance)
> 2 Field Engineer Regiment (Combat Engineers)
> 25 Service Battalion (Service Support)
> 32 Military Police Platoon

Fort York Armoury 660 Fleet Street West
Toronto, ON
M5V 1A9
> The Royal Regiment of Canada (Infantry)
> The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother’s Own) (Infantry)
> The Queen's York Rangers (Armoured Reconnaissance)
> 709 (Toronto) Communication Regiment (Communications)

HMCS YORK
659 Lakeshore Blvd. West
Toronto, ON
M5V 1A7

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/contactus/locateus_en.aspx?bhcp=1&nreg=0#idToronto

The recruiting centre in Toronto is:

CFRC Toronto
4900 Yonge Street, Suite 100 (Corner of Yonge and Sheppard Ave E)
Toronto - North York, ON
M2N 6A4

Phone:
416-635-4490

Fax:
416-636-2787 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Thursday; 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday

Just as a side note, the government site has 2 Intelligence Platoon (I always thought it was company) located at the same address as the CFRC, is this where they actually are? Because I always thought they were in the Denison Armouries.

van Gemeren said:
Toronto Regiment RCA (Artillery)

Denison Armoury
1 Yukon Lane (By the old Downsview airport)
Toronto, ON
M3M 3J5
> The Governor General's Horse Guards (Armoured Reconnaissance)
> 2 Field Engineer Regiment (Combat Engineers)
25 Service Battalion (Service Support)
> 32 Military Police Platoon

Just as a side note, the government site has 2 Intelligence Platoon (I always thought it was company) located at the same address as the CFRC, is this where they actually are? Because I always thought they were in the Denison Armouries.

2Int is definately at Denison.  I think it's a Company....
2FER is now 32CER.

tree hugger said:
2Int is definately at Denison.  I think it's a Company....
2FER is now 32CER.

Yes, it's 2 Int Coy in Toronto, and 2 Int Platoon in Ottawa.  Just to keep folks on their toes.

I just wanted to bump this thread because I'm interested in Toronto Regiments also. I'm currently 15 years old, turning 16 in December, and deciding if I should do BMQ/SQ on the weekends, or next summer. I am also drying to determine which regiment i should join, and I'm only looking at two, QOR of C and 48th Highlanders. I think my only method of transportation is by the TTC. 48th Highlanders weekday night is on friday and QOR of C is on Wednesday (I think), I was wondering if you HAD to go once a weekday for the regiment, since I plan on graduating and going to university, this might affect my academics (which is also why I'm considering only summer BMQ/SQ training).

Thanks for your Help~

48th Highlanders,

Yep 48th.  No question about it.

dileas

tess

army.ca poster
and proud member of the regimental family

the 48th regulator said:
48th Highlanders,

Yep 48th.  No question about it.

dileas

tess

army.ca poster
and proud member of the regimental family

Could you please tell me the pros and cons about the 48th highlanders as opposed to the QOR of C?

Sukintu said:
Could you please tell me the pros and cons about the 48th highlanders as opposed to the QOR of C?

We parade Friday Nights.
We wear Kilts.
We have the Most battle honours of all non-almagamated units.
We have quite the sense of style.

I am just joshing mate.

I know how you feel, I was like that too.  My best friend was a piper in the 48th, and he brought me down.  At the time the Toronto District (Man I am aging myself with that comment...) Had one recruiting office of each of the different Armouries.  AT the time it was a QOR, and he was good.  I was determined to be QOR all the way.

Well, he took a call I went out of the recruiting office, and saw the 48th.  This was a Tuesday night (Our admin night).  The Parade square was packed with the pipeband getting ready.  The front of the BOR was packed with People milling about.  The Messes all were openend and occupied.

The Recruiter came out to get me and sign my paperwork.  He asked if I had made a decision, and all I could do was point at the 48th!

The rest is, as they say, history.

The best thing I can advise, is going down on Wednesday,and Friday.  Meet the Recruiters, and they will more than likely show you around.  That way you can get a feel of both fine regiments.

dileas

tess

p.s I still say 48th...

Pro You would be a Highlander, Pro You would not be a Queens Own.   ;D  j/k

It depends really, both of us are infantry regiments, and we train together pretty regularly, from my experience the QOR I have worked with are all pretty switched on. Same with our own guys.  It really boils down to Wed or Fri, and whether or not you want to wear a funny wine coloured hat, or a funny looking hat  ;).  I say join us, you get to wear a kilt, women love the kilt !!!! :D

PS I am also OBVIOUSLY quite biased. 8)

edit dang it Tess your too damn fast for me!!!

Tess & Hatchet Man:

Balmorals are nice indeed, girls do like a kilt, although you'd never catch me dead in one!!  :)

Girls:

kilts & balmorals = like;
maroon & beret = love.

;D  >:D

Just kidding of course ... or not!! The view floating down over Mountainview/DZ Hodgson is something to see though ...  ;D

Hatchet Man said:
Pro You would be a Highlander, Pro You would not be a Queens Own.  ;D  j/k

It depends really, both of us are infantry regiments, and we train together pretty regularly, from my experience the QOR I have worked with are all pretty switched on. Same with our own guys.  It really boils down to Wed or Fri, and whether or not you want to wear a funny wine coloured hat, or a funny looking hat  ;).  I say join us, you get to wear a kilt, women love the kilt !!!! :D

PS I am also OBVIOUSLY quite biased. 8)

edit dang it Tess your too damn fast for me!!!

Haha. What do you mean by funny wine coloured hat? The maroon berets? And what about the funny looking hat.........this kilt wearing thing is kind of dragging me down.

Sukintu said:
Haha. What do you mean by funny wine coloured hat? The maroon berets? And what about the funny looking hat.........this kilt wearing thing is kind of dragging me down.

No worries about it dragging you down ... the breeze should keep you wide awake on chilly days ... that's a bonus I guess!!  ;)

Sukintu said:

Do I hear Blasphemy.

We boil people for making such thoughts, and eat them with "Wine" sauce...

diles

tess

ps ignore Armyvern,  she just got released from the home of the beret bewildered...

Sukintu said:

Funny wine colour = Maroon Beret
Funny Looking = Balmoral  
(all in good fun)

And ArmyVern, I would hope you wouldn't be caught "dead" in a kilt, being dead is kinda crappy, unless you are a zombie, those are cool  >:D

Back