• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve or wait for Regular?

dannyboy41

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have an application in with the local reserve forces. I had applied for an officer position, but I did not do as well on the interview as I had hoped and did not get chosen. However, I'm not giving up on my endeavour to become an officer in the Canadian Forces.

That said, the local reserves offered me an NCM position anyway, but I'm wondering if I should accept the position to get my foot in the door or hold out and apply for ROTP instead (I am a second year university student).

From what I have read, there are people who have switched from NCM to officer, but I have also read other stories of people who have had a tough time switching (same situation with transferring to regular force from reserve).

Any input is appreciated, and thank you for your time.  :salute:

If you want that transfer to happen anytime within the next 2 years, I'd apply to the RegF as an officer now. Component transfers are not an easy street into the Reg F, and you'd have 3 things against you: CT, new trade, and NCM to officer. Perfect storm of waiting when you could be waiting for the position you want.

PuckChaser said:
If you want that transfer to happen anytime within the next 2 years, I'd apply to the RegF as an officer now. Component transfers are not an easy street into the Reg F, and you'd have 3 things against you: CT, new trade, and NCM to officer. Perfect storm of waiting when you could be waiting for the position you want.

Thanks for the prompt reply! I stumbled upon a trade that interests me and complements computer science. I shall call the local CFRC tomorrow and start the application process for it. Thanks, PuckChaser!

:salute:

dannyboy41 said:
Hey everyone,

I have an application in with the local reserve forces. I had applied for an officer position, but I did not do as well on the interview as I had hoped and did not get chosen. However, I'm not giving up on my endeavour to become an officer in the Canadian Forces.

That said, the local reserves offered me an NCM position anyway, but I'm wondering if I should accept the position to get my foot in the door or hold out and apply for ROTP instead (I am a second year university student).

From what I have read, there are people who have switched from NCM to officer, but I have also read other stories of people who have had a tough time switching (same situation with transferring to regular force from reserve).

Any input is appreciated, and thank you for your time.  :salute:

Although you think you are officer material, or just aspire to attain that 'position' as an entitlement of someone who has entered university; you may have to accept the fact that you may not be.

Back