• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Co-op enrollment 2014-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay.  That didn't really come across in your post.  In that case, good luck!

What do you mean co op and just reserves? As in weekend BMQ course, or the summer BMQ course?

In some locations the units have agreements with the local school board(s) allowing students to attend a BMQ Coop course and get credit for it.  It usually runs 1300-1700 Mon-Fri during the winter.  Off hand, the only places I can think of that run a BMQ Coop regularly are Winnipeg and Thunder Bay.  The candidates have to go through the normal enrollment process so the only thing different is it runs for half days during the week vice full days on the weekends.

Standards said:
In some locations the units have agreements with the local school board(s) allowing students to attend a BMQ Coop course and get credit for it.  It usually runs 1300-1700 Mon-Fri during the winter.  Off hand, the only places I can think of that run a BMQ Coop regularly are Winnipeg and Thunder Bay.  The candidates have to go through the normal enrollment process so the only thing different is it runs for half days during the week vice full days on the weekends.

Also Lincoln and Welland regiment has regular BMQ co-op as does the RHLI of Hamilton I believe, or the ASH of C in same armoury. Both in Niagara region though.

RoyalHighlandFusilier said:
What do you mean co op and just reserves? As in weekend BMQ course, or the summer BMQ course?

I mean the School Co Op program or just going the normal reserve route

It looks like all 3 Reserve Bdes in Ontario will be running co-op courses next year.  It will probably replace the winter BMQ serials in most locations.  The advantage to the co-op crses, are the kids not only get there co-op credits for school, but they also get paid on the placement, just as they would if they where on a weekend wonder course.

Disadvantage, not only do we have standards visits to deal with, but co-op teachers visits as well. ;D

I like visiting the BMQ Coop courses as it doesn't mean working another weekend.

In any case, you don't have to worry about me visiting your courses in LFCA.  However, anyone running courses in LFWA, I will see you eventually (my summer is a write-off).

In the Durham region (mainly Oshawa-area highschools that have co-op) they run this program. I go for my physical/aptitude test July 6th, and the day goes from 0600-1400 I believe. If I get in Ill confirm that, but it may depend on the unit. This co-op is only run second semester, and gives a full 4 credits.

Sorry for wakin this baby back up, woops!

Apparently you CANNOT do both. If you are a reservist you cannot do CO-OP for the Forces. It kinda makes sense becuase it waste of resources, why do BMQ twice.

-Just tellin to clarify.
-Usman

Grey & Simcoe Foresters Owen Sound armory also host a co-op... I am actually doing my pre-sq with them right now (as opposed to driving down to toronto every weekend).

Alex252 said:
I mean the School Co Op program or just going the normal reserve route
Ok. You can do BMQ 3 ways.
-Coop as described
-Weekend; you show up fri night, leave sun afternoon every odd weekend or so
-summer; you do BMQ all straight during july or aug.

Each will have different... flavour to it as for example, in coop, you won't be doing morning inspections. Weekend, you'll do morning inspections, but it's still only 48 hrs of army then you go home. Summer, it's full on army thing and your head spins, esp. if you're not mentally prepared for transition from civvy to mil mind set. :)

Greg_o said:
In the Durham region (mainly Oshawa-area highschools that have co-op) they run this program. I go for my physical/aptitude test July 6th, and the day goes from 0600-1400 I believe. If I get in Ill confirm that, but it may depend on the unit. This co-op is only run second semester, and gives a full 4 credits.

Sorry for wakin this baby back up, woops!

Are you joining the Ontario Regiment?  A buddy of mine is going to the Oshawa Armouries on July 6th also to do all his PT/aptitude.  Yyou guys may be in the same regiment and not even know it!

Hey..

I was wondering whether to go for co-op or summer bmq next year. I decided to start as early as I can, and do it in a summer instead of during a co-op. I agree that it will give you several more months of experiences. As soon as I can, I'm going down to the Aurora Armoury to talk to someone. A recruiter was at my school awhile back, and it seemed pretty interesting.

Does anyone know if the militia pays enough to be a viable part time job? As opposed to working at a grocery store or Mcdonalds?

:) Thanks.

I don't know to many grocery stores that start you at $77/day.

I am considering co-op in the army. I was wondering if there's any program after the basic training in medical. I am thinking of becoming a doctor and i think doing co-op in the army will certainly help. So is there anything in the arms force that will help and is there anything I should know? Also what is the schedule and will i be living on reserves or do i go there and then home? I live in Mississauga, Ontario. If anyone has information can you please send it to me at a_ram0s@hotmail.com  the '0' is a zero.

Thanks

Both of the above - look in the yellow pages under "recruiting" and tell the nice man what you want to be if you grow up.

I'm a student at Saltfleet Highschool in the Hamilton area of Ontario. I've researched the CF army thoroughly, and I know it's what I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm having trouble finding the answers to a few questions that I'd like to ask.
1) Once I complete the Military Co-op program, and I join the Reserve Force can I transfer over to the Regular Force after I get my grade 12?
2) Is there optional officer training involved in the Reserve BMQ?
3) Are there any others in this community who are taking the Military Co-op program in the second semester of the school year (February 2006)?
4) I am very interested in the Argylls' training programs for Urban & Mountain Ops, but the Rileys' history is very rich. Which would be a wiser choice?
Any resources provided are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

All of this can be found by searching.

I'm in a good mood, so...

1) Once I complete the Military Co-op program, and I join the Reserve Force can I transfer over to the Regular Force after I get my grade 12?
Yes, you can transfer from the Reserve to the Regular Force by doing a Componet Transfer.
2) Is there optional officer training involved in the Reserve BMQ?
You can be an officer in the reserve, search for the requirements on becoming an officer in the CF
3) Are there any others in this community who are taking the Military Co-op program in the second semester of the school year (February 2006)?
I'd say there's a good amount of people doing the co-op program. A few people on these boards have joined the reserve through co-op.
4) I am very interested in the Argylls' training programs for Urban & Mountain Ops, but the Rileys' history is very rich. Which would be a wiser choice?
I have no experiance with either unit. Infantry is infantry, same job no matter where you go(with the exception of light vs mechanized). Join the unit you want, because of its history, tasking or location.

My sincere thanks MikeL. I've ran a couple searches but I got slightly confused when I was trying to put it all together.
Thanks again.

- Branden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back