• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Quebec is also thinking about restarting its nuclear facility to face rising demand for electricity:

P.s. : with all these talks about increasing nuclear power generation in Canada, perhaps, just perhaps, it would make a discussion of using it for "ships" propulsion as a green alternative possible. You know what ships I am talking about ;)
It’s a combination of ‘talks about increasing nuclear power generation in Canada’ and actually putting shovels in the ground in this particular case - Canada Infrastructure Bank puts nearly $1B toward Ontario small nuclear project

An information campaign properly done in a Canadian context doesn't have to bring a majority onside. It only has to counter the arguments and be a little more strident than the small Anti-nuclear nut bar lobby so that when polled, the large majority of Canadians feel it's a non-issue and lets the government handle it as it sees fit.

I just noticed these two videos about life onboard HMCS Corner Brook. After seeing this I am certain of the following:
  • I have much respect to the submariners for doing this job in a really complex and challenging environment
  • there is no tolerance for mistakes
  • trust and teamwork are essential to fight and survive
  • would have loved to try being a submariner if I wasn't such a poor swimmer and claustrophobic in really tight spaces
  • submarines are essential to our national defence

I hope that I'm wrong and the gov't will support the procurement of new modern capable submarines to replace the Victoria (Upholder) class.

Cheers

I just noticed these two videos about life onboard HMCS Corner Brook. After seeing this I am certain of the following:
  • I have much respect to the submariners for doing this job in a really complex and challenging environment
  • there is no tolerance for mistakes
  • trust and teamwork are essential to fight and survive
  • would have loved to try being a submariner if I wasn't such a poor swimmer and claustrophobic in really tight spaces
  • submarines are essential to our national defence

I hope that I'm wrong and the gov't will support the procurement of new modern capable submarines to replace the Victoria (Upholder) class.

Cheers
seems like if you have to swim things have gone wrong

ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) on their proposal for the Walrus-class submarine replacement program - Future Dutch Submarine: TKMS

Naval Group on their proposal for the Walrus-class submarine replacement program - Future Dutch Submarine: Naval Group's Conventional Barracuda

Both proposals are quite interesting and emphasizes their particular strengths.

Last edited:
The Dutch answer should be revealed by early 2024 so that will be interesting and am curious if it impacts the Canadian one going forward

Quebec is also thinking about restarting its nuclear facility to face rising demand for electricity:

P.s. : with all these talks about increasing nuclear power generation in Canada, perhaps, just perhaps, it would make a discussion of using it for "ships" propulsion as a green alternative possible. You know what ships I am talking about ;)
So now the home province of Tommy Douglas, the father of the NDP, is getting a nuclear power station.

$74 million announced for small nuclear reactor project in Saskatchewan​

“We are investing in non-emitting nuclear technologies to power us forward — a future that leverages Saskatchewan’s world-leading production of uranium to create jobs and help create non-emitting, reliable and affordable power to Saskatchewanians across this province,” Wilkinson said during a press conference at the University of Saskatchewan.

Volume 29, Issue 4 of the Canadian Defence Review was released today and have some info given by the CRCN. Nothing we haven't been able to gather ourselves but it is interesting coming from Topshee's mouth. I've taken an excerpt but you can read the issue yourself at this link.

SUBMARINES

CDR: "Canada currently has four Victoria-class submarines. What do you feel is the optimum number of submarines that Canada needs under the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project?"

VAdm Topshee: "It typically takes four submarines to ensure one of them is always available. The Victoria-class has never actually met that metric for a variety of reasons. The Air Force describes this as a line of task, so we have a similar philosophy with this and we're basically saying its four submarines for a single line of task. If we want to be able to guarantee submarine availability in the Atlantic or the Pacific, then you need to have four submarines based in Esquimalt and four in Halifax. So, the minimum for Canada we think is eight - that allows us to be able to continuously operate a submarine in the Atlantic and the Pacific, and that allows us to get up to the Western and Eastern approaches to the Arctic. If you really want to be sure of being able to have a submarine presence in the Arctic, and on each of our oceans, then you need twelve. That's a lot, it's expensive, and it's a challenge to get there from the point of view of personnel because right now we're at four submarines and about two and a half crews for those submarines. If we buy a submarine that's in service with other Navies, we can accelerate the production of submariners because we'd have more sea days, and more opportunity to create submariners on the submarine that's in service and like the one that we would be acquiring. We don't have to get to twelve submarines tomorrow, that's something we can do over the course of 20 years. The key is, it's a government decision - what does the government want us to be able to do, or what is the risk they're willing to take in terms of the operation of subs because these are all expensive things that come at the expense of other programs that Canadians care about like other military capabilities and other government of Canada capabilities. My job is simply to explain that - I really feel that eight is the minimum number of submarines that Canada should have, but it is the government's job to make those decisions."

TBH the 4 is 1 argument is a little stale.
That applies only to older equipment. 3:1 is a fairly reasonable number with newer models.
But even then, one would at least want 9, (and ideally 15 if they were not Nuke boats due to the lack of speed/endurance.)

3:1 allows for 1 longer refurbishment, 1 on patrol and one preparing/ready.

That applies only to older equipment. 3:1 is a fairly reasonable number with newer models.
But even then, one would at least want 9, (and ideally 15 if they were not Nuke boats due to the lack of speed/endurance.)

I think it is valuable to remember that equipment isn't new forever and you should take into consideration how operability changes over the lifetime of the system.

I think it is valuable to remember that equipment isn't new forever and you should take into consideration how operability changes over the lifetime of the system.
I’ve lived down here for long enough not to be forced to remember Rust Out, as we deal with those issues with a constant replacement schedule on equipment…

Hanwha Ocean to raise $1.5 bn to boost warship business​

Hanwha Group is stepping up efforts to win next-generation submarines orders from Canada and Poland​

You've failed to account for SUBSAFE. 4 is definately 1. But I agree the arguement holds for lots of other equipment.

Hanwha upping the stakes….

Hanwha Ocean to Set up Submarine Construction Centers in Canada, Poland​

I wonder who is going to work on them, Ukrainians? The ship yards we currently have is having difficulties getting skilled workers.

Back